Logistics of Getting PAID For Music

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
skie

23 Feb 2018

I was recently offered a non-exclusive publishing deal for a song. About to sign the contract. This is the first check I would be receiving and I was wondering do I need to start an LLC or some kind of official production company and make that the payee or can I use my first and last name and deposit into my personal account? I don't want to get screwed over tax implications. Would love to hear from anyone who collects checks for their music. Thank you!

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2018

I'd like to know this as well!

QVprod

23 Feb 2018

You can just use your own name. Make sure you’re signed up for a PRO. As far as taxes, you’ll be personally liable for them. Setting up a company can be helpful regarding how taxes are handled (ie I’m no expert on that) as you can pay yourself as an employee, but you and your company would still be responsible for some taxes. I don’t believe it’s any different from any other freelance work.

skie

23 Feb 2018

QVprod wrote:
23 Feb 2018
You can just use your own name. Make sure you’re signed up for a PRO. As far as taxes, you’ll be personally liable for them. Setting up a company can be helpful regarding how taxes are handled (ie I’m no expert on that) as you can pay yourself as an employee, but you and your company would still be responsible for some taxes. I don’t believe it’s any different from any other freelance work.
Thank you. Dumb question but what is a PRO?

QVprod

23 Feb 2018

skie wrote:
23 Feb 2018
QVprod wrote:
23 Feb 2018
Performing Rights Organization. In the US we have BMI and ASCAP.

skie

23 Feb 2018

QVprod wrote:
23 Feb 2018
skie wrote:
23 Feb 2018

Performing Rights Organization. In the US we have BMI and ASCAP.
Oh ok gotcha we got that covered already thank you sir.

skie

23 Feb 2018

Anybody know if $150 for a contract review from a legitimate entertainment lawyer is fair? Seems to be.

• Information