Anyone know how to get this snare sound?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Reasonable man

22 Feb 2018

Fragmented snare?

Tried pulsar , chopping up , nnxt , granulzing and breaking up a snare roll but no real joy and always sounds too contrived and linear no matter what i do. What i like about it is how organic and random the lengths are.
Having said that .. this guy is famous for sampling and resampling so it could be a crisp packet getting scrunced at different lengths with distortion for all i know. Just wondered if there is a rack device someone has that might create a similar type of effect(this was done in logic as far as i know). Thanks.

O1B

22 Feb 2018

Sounds like the default snare - from an Electribe to my ears....

Maybe a lil sample/bit reduction - but a part of the sound seems reversed- loop back like vinyl.

BeatCrush RE comes to mind... shouldn't be too hard.

aeox
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2018

It's a very basic sound IMO.

If more organic is what you're looking for, manually go in and edit the sample length for each snare (Have the snare audio clip in the sequencer, not a redrum or kong). Possibly even the timing of them as well.

Remember that you're never going to get the sound exactly the same either, just build on the idea and make it sound good to you and make it your own.

aeox
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2018

By the way, that song is awesome!

Reasonable man

22 Feb 2018

Cheers . yea he's reversed one or two of em and theres a bit of distortion/ bit crush etc. But I reckon their's mutiple different velocity settings for every bar locked into a humaised groove that to me he's obvilusly played in mpc style. Its just when you try and recreate the effect that the complexity of it knda slaps you in the face . Im starting to think that each snare has a different transient waveshape setting and a to add in a milloin ghost snares(with aotomation) ta boot!
Serioulsy ....16 variations of a rolled snare on 16 pads of kong and thats just the begginning . Anyway ill keep at it.

Reasonable man

22 Feb 2018

aeox wrote:
22 Feb 2018
By the way, that song is awesome!
true , the album immunity is a work of art

motuscott

22 Feb 2018

Fifty years of playing and tuning real snare drums.
Something tells me we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

• Information