Jazz Rant (Pissing on jazz)

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
jason.allen.3572

23 Feb 2018

I love jazz. But if you don’t like then you don’t like it. I’m also a sax player so if I didn’t love jazz what would I have....?lol
What I really like is jazz that is pushing forward and not just rehashing the past. Some of the artists I think are doing this are Robert Glasper, Mark Guiliana, Esperanza Spalding.... (I’m sure there are some other huge ones I should be mentioning)
And yeah, if you are not into soloing then most jazz is probably not going to be your thing. Something I really enjoy though too is the way a band will lock in and groove together. Of course this can happen with all great musicians but there is something magical about the kind of energy present when this is happening. I really enjoy piano trios because of this. With a piano trio there is sort of an even playing field for everybody and it seems to kind of cause them to work together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhillipOrdonez

23 Feb 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
22 Feb 2018
Agree . Its Kinda hard to incorporate into popular music nowadays. I love the setting of classic old dudes in sharp suits and low voices playing trumpets and saxophone solos in the clubs though. What they're really saying is ' im mad ....take it or leave it'

I dont know if this technically can be called Jazz but boy does it still stand the test of time ... its one for dancing on a bar counter somewhere in Barcelona

That is the kind of Jazz that I like. Jazzy House. No idea if St Germain is considered Jazz, but to me it is. Such a tune.

What about this?

QVprod

23 Feb 2018

And how can we not list Snarky Puppy! Hard not to appreciate this if you're into musicianship.

skie

23 Feb 2018

Jazz is like any genre in my opinion - 25% of it is gold and the rest is so-so at best. If you can listen to Wes Montgomery "Full House" and tell me you think it sucks and is boring, I would accuse you of being born with no rhythm or soul :)

PSoames

23 Feb 2018

Wow! Jazz has such a broad spectrum.

Some I hate (Dixie or Trad Jazz), smooth jazz.

Some I admire Big band, Be bopp, Swing.

Some I Love Avante Garde, Progressive and what used to be termed New Age but now seems to go under the banner of Contemporary or even ECM style/ECM third wave with artists such as Pat Metheny, Jan Garbarek, Chick Corea, Keith Jarret etc.

And then you have the amazing amount of Fusion genres; afro-jazz, jazz funk, acid Jazz.

My knowledge of music theory is poor and un-developed so I can't comment on structure, modes, scales, etc. What I do know is that certain types of jazz speak to me like no other music. The emotion and feeling they impart to me is absent in nearly all other types of music. For me, true jazz is experimental and has a direct line to my soul. As a person with limited emotional expression, jazz is to music, what F. Scott Fitzgerald is to literature and Luis Bunuel is to film making.

Damn! My heart veritably sings - often in an arrhythmic beats and sometimes in scat - but what a song.

Doobity doo wop. Boo baba loo. Shoobity doobity fucking doo!

gullum

23 Feb 2018

Have friends that play jazz and they call the metal music I listen to and play junk, but mostly all metal bands can play their songs identically the same every time and that is not so true with jazz artists :D I do love some jazz Mezzoforte has been one of my favorite bands a long time

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2018

Well I'm glad the thread has taken a more positive turn after my whiny rant :D Maybe something useful came out of this thread after all.

I actually found some music here interesting while other bits reinforced my contempt for the genre :lol: Sometimes both happened in the same track depending on which part I listened to.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 25 Feb 2018, edited 1 time in total.

motuscott

24 Feb 2018

PSoames wrote:
23 Feb 2018

Doobity doo wop. Boo baba loo. Shoobity doobity fucking doo!
I couldn't agree more
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Pralijah

24 Feb 2018

Swedish Jazz pianist icon Jan Johansson with the record "Jazz på svenska" (Jazz in Swedish). Swedish folk tunes. Recorded 1964. Instrumental.
My inner nordic melancholy loves the feel. But it is rather a feeling of being alone in nature a bit further north. Something not that common if living in a bigger citiy in the south, but this get one into the nordic nature mood really well. I tend to like the music that is a mixture of both Jazz way of improvisation and Classical music melodic structures. Folk music or Folk Jazz or whatever one might want to call it. All is just music.

Make music shake again!

beatcomber

24 Feb 2018

Your rant could be easily compared to someone's view of French cuisine and it's structure and technique leading to a taste that they don't enjoy. The techniques though are so important and can, and have, provided people with a foundation to go beyond what French food was and is.

I really enjoy jazz at times, but there aren't many major genres I don't have some interest in. Opera is one that comes to mind. It's like that line "There are only two kinds of music, and you only have to worry about playing one."

From the first jazz album I got into.

The way the horns play with the melody and are layered together is something that I will always find pleasing.

There is this gem of a live performance, and trust me I am not really a person who enjoys guitar anymore.

It is a little odd to critique jazz for the genre's song writing. There are standards that one will hear at any jazz festival, across the globe.

Nonetheless, keep on truckin', and diggin' what ever it is you do.

Harmen

25 Feb 2018

Could not resist to put in the One and Only , He deserves it to be between all of them.

The Legend: Eric Dolphy.

Make a good time.

O1B

04 Mar 2018

Slow down...
Not - when you have a Jimi

Jimi vs. The Beetles

normen wrote:
22 Feb 2018
motuscott wrote:
22 Feb 2018
Jazz players are the best on their instrument. Can we agree on this? Improvisation is a skill I hold in high esteem, sightreading, not so much.
....[from a non-reader]
Totally agree.

normen

04 Mar 2018

O1B wrote:
04 Mar 2018
Slow down...
Jimi could sight-read? ;)

motuscott

04 Mar 2018

I'd love to join the fray but what are we arguing here?

Andy
Competition Winner

07 Mar 2018

Harmen wrote:
25 Feb 2018
Could not resist to put in the One and Only , He deserves it to be between all of them.

The Legend: Eric Dolphy.

Make a good time.
Out to Lunch is one of my favorite albums. I have massive respect for Eric Dolphy.

One of my "Jazz" tracks. :)

O1B

08 Mar 2018

From a D Cavett interview, I learned Jimi couldn't read music.
Nary a bit of difference that made.

Context: Jazz players are the 'BEST' on their instrument. ....Not when there's a Jimi.

"Jazz players are the best on their instrument. Can we agree on this? Improvisation is a skill I hold in high esteem, sightreading, not so much.
Of course I can do one and not the other
judge me, batch
at least we have Reason in common...
Right?"

normen wrote:
04 Mar 2018
O1B wrote:
04 Mar 2018
Slow down...
Jimi could sight-read? ;)

normen

08 Mar 2018

Theres no need to see the world as black and white. A discussion doesn‘t have to be an argument and sight reading doesn‘t have to mean you‘re a good musician. Neither does burning your guitar or tubes :)

O1B

08 Mar 2018

Easy Normen... no one ' sees the world as black and white'

...except maybe those saying.... JAZZ players are the BEST in their -.... that sounds like pretty FALSE black and white to me.
and AGAIN. Jimi proves it WRONG..... maybe that helps with the ' black and white' of 'jazz players are the best.. blah blah blah'

have a nice day, my man.
normen wrote:
08 Mar 2018
Theres no need to see the world as black and white. A discussion doesn‘t have to be an argument and sight reading doesn‘t have to mean you‘re a good musician. Neither does burning your guitar or tubes :)

normen

08 Mar 2018

O1B wrote:
08 Mar 2018
Easy Normen... no one ' sees the world as black and white'

...except maybe those saying.... JAZZ players are the BEST in their -.... that sounds like pretty FALSE black and white to me.
and AGAIN. Jimi proves it WRONG..... maybe that helps with the ' black and white' of 'jazz players are the best.. blah blah blah'

have a nice day, my man.
Maybe it went past you or maybe I'm interpreting too much into his post - but imo he wasn't so much saying flat out that "jazz players are better than classical players" but going deeper and saying "if you just learn to read and play you still don't make a proper musician". Which is in itself arguable but I would agree, having experienced both people who can't read and make awesome music and those that can read and JUST do that without much personal expression. (And vice versa, it's not about the type of music)

Edit: And btw, Jimis approach is MUCH more jazz than classical, can we agree on that? :)

motuscott

08 Mar 2018

I think we both like pie.

normen

08 Mar 2018

motuscott wrote:
08 Mar 2018
I think we both like pie.
Well I don't.

Harmen

10 Mar 2018

My oh my, not trying to become prejudice. But it's the magic of sound. Sound Of Magic.

Haile Selassie

• Information