PSA: do *NOT* build your studio in a basement where it rains

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
EnochLight

20 Feb 2018

..or, if you do - be prepared for mornings like this. Came downstairs in my socks with a coffee in hand, and promptly stepped into a massive water intrusion on my studio floor. Nothing like cold, squishy socks to wake you up in the morning!

FML

studio_flooding.jpg
studio_flooding.jpg (497.29 KiB) Viewed 2375 times

The shitty part is that we've been in this condo for about a year, and we already went through 1 rainy season and everything remained dry!! Looks like something gave out, though, because I already had 10 gallons of water extracted from this spot in the carpet alone. Now I have to take down a section of wall, find out where the leak is (either an old rod hole that's rusted out or a crack), have it repaired, then rebuild the wall. And I was planning to install acoustic treatment this week... NOT ANYMORE... :(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

normen

20 Feb 2018

Oh my fuck, had something like that as well. I had to dig a "well" next to the house to get the ground water to a deeper level :?

esselfortium

20 Feb 2018

Oh no, I hope all your music gear is alright!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

demt

20 Feb 2018

best of luck in finding the leak
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

raymondh

20 Feb 2018

You might want a dehumidifier in the room too. Once the floor is dry, last thing you'll want is a mould problem if there is any dampness.

EnochLight

20 Feb 2018

Thanks everyone. Yeah, a dehumidifier is a great idea - the carpet is brand new (10 months) and it's just rain water, so I plan to keep it. Fairly certain the leak is caused by a rusted out rod hole, which is common with this sort of construction from the late 1960's. The bad part is that I have to remove a section of the back wall behind my workstation to discover if that's the case. I literally had just painted all of the walls and was prepping it for acoustic panel treatment! ARRGHHH...

Thankfully, all equipment is OK. Everything is either elevated or on stands, though I did have a $600 USD ribbon mic in its product box sitting on the carpet right where it leaked. The box has that wax-like retail coating though, so it was OK. I picked it up, wiped it off, and kicked myself in the head for being so naive as to leave a freak'n ribbon mic sitting in the floor of a basement I've only spent 10 months in.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Exowildebeest

20 Feb 2018

... you may want to check out Mr. Sponge :lol:

Baylo

20 Feb 2018

Yikes - this brings back memories...

For what it's worth, the best advice I received when our hot water heater broke and poured water all over the basement was to pull up the carpet and cut out the wet underlay underneath. Basically the underlay is soaking up 90% of the water, will never dry out completely, and then rot/smell. But it is relatively cheap to replace the wet bits. The carpet on top, however, can likely be dried out completely and saved. In other words, don't rely exclusively on dehumidifiers.

Sorry you have to deal with the hassle!

Mark

• Information