Black Panther: How Amazing was it? Amazing Amazing or Amazing Amazing Amazing?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Gorgon

19 Feb 2018

miscend wrote:
19 Feb 2018
So why do you suddenly get pissed off when Black Panther does well?
Who are you asking?
When Blade came out in the 90’s, it was absolutely huge at the box office and no one complained about racial politics. In fact Blade started the whole MCU thing, it was the first Marvel movie that was actually decent and also successful financially even though it was based on a largely unknown character.
Blade was fantastic. I have the soundtrack on vinyl. James Bernard even has a track on it.

And back then, nobody complained about racial politics, because there weren't any websites like Rotten Tomatoes telling people that they would not accept negative reviews of certain movies.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Gorgon

19 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
19 Feb 2018
I have a good friend who tends to lean conservative/right, and he told me he hated Black Panther. When I asked him why, it became clear that the crux of his issues were the fact that he's basically a closeted bigot.
I haven't said anything about not liking Black Panther. But if I'm being forced to like it, or be called a racist for maybe not liking it, I'd rather not go see it. Then again, I rarely see movies in the theater anyway.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Gorgon

19 Feb 2018

Aha. I've did some googling and I see what's going on with the racist trolls. A very sick thing to do. But still, my point is still valid. Black Panther is so incredibly overhyped (doesn't matter if the movie is actually any good or not) and hailed as such a landmark, literally being called "being for film what Obama was for the presidency". Well. I don't find all that too healthy.

EnochLight

19 Feb 2018

Gorgon wrote:
19 Feb 2018
I haven't said anything about not liking Black Panther. But if I'm being forced to like it, or be called a racist for maybe not liking it, I'd rather not go see it. Then again, I rarely see movies in the theater anyway.
If you haven't seen it, then you can't possibly draw an opinion anyway. Check it out, and then come back and share your thoughts.

* To be clear, my friend has always been a closet racist. His criticisms of the film had nothing to do with otherwise legitimate criticisms of a movie (such as story, pacing, screenplay, acting, etc).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

19 Feb 2018

Gorgon wrote:
19 Feb 2018
Black Panther is so incredibly overhyped (doesn't matter if the movie is actually any good or not) and hailed as such a landmark, literally being called "being for film what Obama was for the presidency". Well. I don't find all that too healthy.
Being over-hyped is never healthy - it's impossible for any film to hold up to that sort of hype. That said, Obama being elected POTUS - twice in a row - absolutely should be hailed as a landmark. In a country with institutionalized racism at its core, electing a black man as POTUS twice - was absolutely a landmark. I realize it might be hard for outsiders to understand this, especially if you live in a European country where the majority of your people are all white and never had to deal with the sort of history that we have, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jappe

19 Feb 2018

Just came home after watching this with my son, I think it was a nice movie.

One occasion of mismatched soundtrack imo where it basically sounded like a goat were screaming loudly, ear piercing when it was meant to sound epic.
But other than that, I enjoyed it.

I was on the 4D version with violently jumping chair, pneumatics cleaning my ears, water sprayed on me and Rroibos gas attacks that didn't always feel exactly proportional to what was going on in the movie. But the movie still kept my attention, a good sign.

Gorgon

20 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
19 Feb 2018
That said, Obama being elected POTUS - twice in a row - absolutely should be hailed as a landmark. bla bla you don't understand bla bla
That is entirely not the point. So get off your soapbox, stop trying to lecture me, because obviously you can't discuss based on things that are actually being said.

EnochLight

20 Feb 2018

Gorgon wrote:
20 Feb 2018
That is entirely not the point. So blah blah blah
Yeah Ok.

QVprod

20 Feb 2018

Gorgon wrote:
19 Feb 2018
Aha. I've did some googling and I see what's going on with the racist trolls. A very sick thing to do. But still, my point is still valid. Black Panther is so incredibly overhyped (doesn't matter if the movie is actually any good or not) and hailed as such a landmark, literally being called "being for film what Obama was for the presidency". Well. I don't find all that too healthy.
The reason it’s has this hype is because it is a landmark. It’s the first major movie with a predominately black cast. Rasicim in Hollywood prevented that until now. So yeah in a sense it is the Barack Obama of film in America.

FlowerSoldier

20 Feb 2018

I haven't seen it yet.
A friend of mine cooks at a pub I frequent and he's been looking forward to this movie for months. Also, he's a black dude.
The day Black Panther opened, he took the day off.
The next day I saw him and asked if he saw Black Panther because I knew he'd been super stoked for it.
The whole bar looked at me like I'm racist af. Like, I just asked him that because he's a black dude or something.
People are weird.

acesd619

23 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
19 Feb 2018
The only reason people are complaining about the alleged racial politics surrounding Black Panther is because of the current discord that has been seeded in the US due to the current POTUS and his predominantly white/racist followers. It truly is sad, and makes me ashamed to be American.
I'm proud to be an American but ashamed of the media influence. There are plenty of black Trump supporters by the way. What do you think Malcolm X would say about this movie? Do you think he would clap his hands and be a cheerleader for a social justice warrior driven comic book movie? It's all very sickening in the big scheme of things and revolutionaries know better than to blame current events. The seeds were planted a very long time ago.

EnochLight

23 Feb 2018

acesd619 wrote:
23 Feb 2018
There are plenty of black Trump supporters by the way.
:( :o :( :shock:

I seriously have no idea where you're getting your numbers from. I'd say that 8% is NOT "plenty":

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37922587

And before you start calling the BBC "fake news", please share your source. Fun fact: had you said Hispanics, then I would have begrudgingly agreed.
acesd619 wrote:
23 Feb 2018
What do you think Malcolm X would say about this movie? Do you think he would clap his hands and be a cheerleader for a social justice warrior driven comic book movie?
I'm curious how to came to the conclusion that this is somehow a '"social justice warrior driven comic book movie". Can you give an example? Did you even see the movie? Whether Malcom X would have enjoyed it or not isn't important, IMHO. He wasn't keen on integration; MLK was. I would be more interested in what MLK would have thought, but even that isn't as important as how what it means to people seeing the film today.
acesd619 wrote:
23 Feb 2018
It's all very sickening in the big scheme of things and revolutionaries know better than to blame current events. The seeds were planted a very long time ago.
This is something we can agree on. Institutionalized racism was planted in America long ago. It's just so disappointing that we still seemingly can't move beyond that, despite the progress that was made after our Civil Rights Movement.

What do you think Malcom X or MLK would have thought of the POTUS's comments after the Charlottesville 2017 rally murder and attacks on African Americans? Would that be a current event that could be blamed at helping sow the seeds of peace? When the POTUS himself implies moral equivalence between white supremacist marchers and those who protested against them, you KNOW that institutionalized racism is still 100% an issue, for sure.

As an American, this is absolutely nothing to be proud of, IMHO. There is nothing more anti-American than this.

O1B

23 Feb 2018

Why so emotional, Gorgon?

Why would you be so angry/opinionated about a glorified 'Lion King'?
could it be... so-called, WG?

I won't be seeing the flick. I prefer Rise of the Apes.
But, I aint mad at it.

Buck up! Maybe they'll do another 300 next year.

QVprod

23 Feb 2018

Finally saw it. It’s a great movie. Just about as great as any other Marvel movie. Not SJW driven at all. I recommend watching a movie before coming up with weird conclusions about it.

motuscott

24 Feb 2018

QVprod wrote:
23 Feb 2018
I recommend watching a movie before coming up with weird conclusions about it.
Think about what you just said. You just halved internet postings.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Gorgon

24 Feb 2018

O1B wrote:
23 Feb 2018
Why so emotional, Gorgon?

Why would you be so angry/opinionated about a glorified 'Lion King'?
could it be... so-called, WG?
You haven't read my post. I am not angry/opinionated about the movie.

Aosta

24 Feb 2018

Never seen it, no intention of seeing it as i'm not into 'superhero' movies but the film was written by two white guys and 90% of the film and production crew were white so I have no idea why all this racist stuff is all over the place.
There are dumb people who are going to use it to beat others over the head with no matter what color they are. Just enjoy the movie or don't, you know it's just a movie, not real, make believe, entertainment, fantasy, a story, grow the fuck up.
Tend the flame

acesd619

24 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
23 Feb 2018
I seriously have no idea where you're getting your numbers from. I'd say that 8% is NOT "plenty":

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37922587

And before you start calling the BBC "fake news", please share your source. Fun fact: had you said Hispanics, then I would have begrudgingly agreed.
Your source:

"It is very difficult to get a genuinely representative sample of how more than 120 million people have voted. It is a big survey - of almost 25,000 voters - and they are the best figures available, but they should be used with caution."

Interestingly enough, it was reported that 16% of black men with college degrees voted for Trump. Furthermore, I wonder how you think the supposed 8% will trend in the near future. You better watch out for those educated black men who are growing in numbers (dry humor). Must I remind you of what Malcolm X thought of white liberals?

This is all relative to your previous statement in this thread about Trump supporters being racist white people which I would find pretty offensive if I was a white Trump supporter. Your reference to the Hispanic figure only sweetens the pot so to speak. That said, I personally believe this finger-pointing and declaring "racism" due to political divide is part of the problem in the recent surge of media-propelled racism.

On a side note - I like Blade too. I remember watching Blade as a kid with my black childhood neighbor friends sharing a bag of Hot Cheetos in the apartment complex I lived in (way before my high school hip hop days) and racism wasn't on our minds like it is today in the minds of children. That is pretty pathetic. Is this because a bunch of white supremacists sprung up out of the woodwork for the POTUS or does this rabbit hole go deeper than that? *cough* MEDIA *cough*
EnochLight wrote:
23 Feb 2018

I'm curious how to came to the conclusion that this is somehow a '"social justice warrior driven comic book movie".
Virtue-signaling white movie-goers who are systematically partaking in racism.
EnochLight wrote:
23 Feb 2018
Whether Malcom X would have enjoyed it or not isn't important, IMHO.
Maybe he would've enjoyed the movie with a different reaction to the hype of the movie. Funny - I read an article this morning that drew comparisons with T’Challa to MLK and Killmonger to Malcolm X so I think referencing these important historical influences is rather necessary.
EnochLight wrote:
23 Feb 2018
When the POTUS himself implies moral equivalence between white supremacist marchers and those who protested against them, you KNOW that institutionalized racism is still 100% an issue, for sure.
Agreed but these white supremacists didn't exactly spring up out of the woodwork. It is a multi-dimensional clusterfuck that can't be thoroughly discussed here which leads me to my next reply.
EnochLight wrote:
23 Feb 2018
There is nothing more anti-American than this.
What is America, really? Now you're treading on the border (see what I did there) of getting yourself a MAGA hat.

EnochLight

24 Feb 2018

Aosta wrote:
24 Feb 2018
Never seen it, no intention of seeing it as i'm not into 'superhero' movies but the film was written by two white guys and 90% of the film and production crew were white so I have no idea why all this racist stuff is all over the place.
There are dumb people who are going to use it to beat others over the head with no matter what color they are. Just enjoy the movie or don't, you know it's just a movie, not real, make believe, entertainment, fantasy, a story, grow the fuck up.
Incorrect. The film was written by two African American men (Ryan Coogler - the director - and Joe Robert Cole, also a director and screen writer). But yeah, the racist crap is truly an enigma.

bxbrkrz

25 Feb 2018

QVprod wrote:
20 Feb 2018
Gorgon wrote:
19 Feb 2018
The reason it’s has this hype is because it is a landmark. It’s the first major movie with a predominately black cast. Rasicim in Hollywood prevented that until now. So yeah in a sense it is the Barack Obama of film in America.
So... Disney prevented BP from being the Barack Obama of film in America, forever. Until recently? Cool.

My nephew went to see BP. I told him not to believe the hype. Just enjoy the movie, the same way he did before with all the Marvel movies. "I have to see it, for our black community, etc". Expectation was very, very high. Then no news from him. I finally asked him about the movie a fews days ago. "Meh!" he told me. Not enough fight scenes, and the cgi were not on the level, story just OK. "But no matter I had to spend my money to support the black community..."
I told him, based on what he told me I will enjoy the movie 100% more than him a few months from now, and see it as a cool Marvel movie made for the brain of a 10 years old, a movie meant to sell toys made in China, and lunch boxes, also made in China. Nothing less, nothing more. Capitalism, in the image of Disney.

I know I will love BP. It will be Amazing! :geek:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

QVprod

25 Feb 2018

bxbrkrz wrote:
25 Feb 2018
QVprod wrote:
20 Feb 2018

So... Disney prevented BP from being the Barack Obama of film in America, forever. Until recently? Cool.
I said Hollywood.and not preventing BL but films in general with predominantly Black casts. Times changed. Disney only relatively recently acquired Marvel.

That aside, I went because I thought it would be a good movie and was hype about it since Civil War. No other reason.

• Information