Ruling raises songwriter royalties from Spotify, Apple Music by 44%

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5466
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 29 Dec 2018

plaamook wrote:
29 Dec 2018
EnochLight wrote:
29 Dec 2018
Because someone bought the CD originally and paid (allegedly) full price for it, and it's not physically possible to make unlimited copies of that CD and share it - FOR FREE - to everyone in the world. Unless you share it on the Torrents, etc, in which case... well... see above. :) Selling used CD's is essentially a license transfer...
If one person buys one of my CD's and sells it on 50 times it's ammounts to the same thing as one CD sale and 50 torrents. You follow?
You can split hairs all day about the legality if it pleases you but I'm sstill making the same figure. That's all I meant.
A CD being resold a few times is no comparison to your work being digitally shared the world over a million times. Please, it's not even the same. :roll: :lol:
plaamook wrote:
29 Dec 2018
Please don't tell me what my argument is. Ask me to clarify.

Is stealing music theft? Of course.
Looks like we agree on something. Piracy is theft. Plain and simple.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10.4 |  Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live

User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 2398
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 29 Dec 2018

if you sample a violin and sell these samples, are you stealing from the violin maker?
Marco Raaphorst

Music & soundware https://melodiefabriek.com.
Check out my new ReFill Rockmen: https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/rockmen ... available/

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5466
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 29 Dec 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
29 Dec 2018
if you sample a violin and sell these samples, are you stealing from the violin maker?
You’re equating the sound a traditional string instrument makes (that has been around for hundreds of years) with a single piece of copyrighted artwork?

Strange.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10.4 |  Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live

User avatar
fotizimo
Posts: 280
Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Location: Canada

Post 29 Dec 2018

I think to properly put perspective on the legality of this, you need to stop looking at the copying, or stealing part, but instead look at the receiving something and giving no compensation part. That is why I think this question is difficult in modern times as we haven't defined the act of receiving something for free which should have been paid for.

In the digital age the act of copying cannot be easily equated to the act of copying something physical. But the act of taking something you haven't given the proper compensation for, is the illegal act in itself. So instead of possession being the determining factor, it is a question of how the product was gotten.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 2398
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 29 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Dec 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
29 Dec 2018
if you sample a violin and sell these samples, are you stealing from the violin maker?
You’re equating the sound a traditional string instrument makes (that has been around for hundreds of years) with a single piece of copyrighted artwork?

Strange.
I am asking a question. I find it hard to answer.

drummachines, sampled instruments have had an enormous impact on musicians. the linn drum made a lot of session drummers not needed to be used anymore. so is making a sample stealing? is recording from radio stealing? recording a stream stealing? complicated stuff imo.

back in the day it was ok to copy. I find this ok in most cases as well but I admit it is complicated because we cannot find a common rule in all this. if so, sampling would be stealing to. simple as that.
Last edited by Marco Raaphorst on 29 Dec 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Marco Raaphorst

Music & soundware https://melodiefabriek.com.
Check out my new ReFill Rockmen: https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/rockmen ... available/

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7685
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 29 Dec 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
29 Dec 2018
if you sample a violin and sell these samples, are you stealing from the violin maker?
If you have permission, no. If you do not have permission, yes. It's pretty established these days.
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7685
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 29 Dec 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
29 Dec 2018
EnochLight wrote:
29 Dec 2018


You’re equating the sound a traditional string instrument makes (that has been around for hundreds of years) with a single piece of copyrighted artwork?

Strange.
I am asking a question. I find it hard to answer.

drummachines, sampled instruments have had an enormous impact on musicians. the linn drum made a lot of session drummers not needed to be used anymore. so is making a sample stealing? is recording from radio stealing? recording a stream stealing? complicated stuff imo.

back in the day it was ok to copy. I find this ok in most cases as well but I admit it is complicated because we cannot find a common rule in all this. if so, sampling would be stealing to. simple as that.
This part is getting off topic, because the drum machine issue is not a legal question. Using a drum machine can't be "stealing" in any way shape or form - not sure your point, since it's apples to oranges with this line of thinking. Linn drums only put a few musicians out of work because we quickly found they were not 100% substitutes for real drummers. The "honeymoon" about drum machines replacing drummers only lasted a few years, if that.

I find your question rather easy to answer, at least as asked - it's simple IMO: making a sample is only stealing if no royalties are paid (unless you don't sell your work). Recording from radio is stealing, just like ripping a CD is stealing. Recording a stream is no different from recording from radio etc. Not complicated in any way IMO.

"Back in the day" it was never "OK" to copy - in the 70s you could record a song off the radio, but we KNEW it was getting around the system and was better to purchase the record. Maybe it was OK for YOU, but there was never any question if it was "right" or "wrong".
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 2398
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 29 Dec 2018

ok sorry, I went off topic. I understand.
Marco Raaphorst

Music & soundware https://melodiefabriek.com.
Check out my new ReFill Rockmen: https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/rockmen ... available/

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 930
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: probably underwater

Post 29 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Dec 2018
plaamook wrote:
29 Dec 2018


If one person buys one of my CD's and sells it on 50 times it's ammounts to the same thing as one CD sale and 50 torrents. You follow?
You can split hairs all day about the legality if it pleases you but I'm sstill making the same figure. That's all I meant.
A CD being resold a few times is no comparison to your work being digitally shared the world over a million times. Please, it's not even the same. :roll: :lol:
plaamook wrote:
29 Dec 2018
Please don't tell me what my argument is. Ask me to clarify.

Is stealing music theft? Of course.
Looks like we agree on something. Piracy is theft. Plain and simple.
Yeah, I’m not in any danger of millions of people sharing my work that’s for sure.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests