Do you remember what you believed in at 18 yo? Do you know anyone who has stuck to their early ideals?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Zac

06 Jan 2018

If i ever get to look back over my life I'll always respect my former self and regret modern life has made it hard to prolong those ideals.

CaliforniaBurrito

07 Jan 2018

I was an 18 year old jackass and now I am a 29 year old jackass. Simples.

demt

07 Jan 2018

Veg ,30 years on more veg,
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

motuscott

07 Jan 2018

At eighteen I was not believing this shit.
At sixty two I still be buggin'.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

olive6741

07 Jan 2018

Soon 50 here. Still think I'm 18 years old in my head, but so fast tired even during daytime. Pathetic. :)

(pathetic to be tired and to be young - not - but so I still believe I stuck to my ideals?? who knows anyway...)

I'm sure the world changed. I didn't.

(no, it's a joke -don't believe in this)

4filegate

07 Jan 2018

The speed of light is the same to any observer, no matter how fast he moves (soon 50 here). Nobody should feel too put down for asking such questions. They are exactly the kind of question that Einstein often asked himself from the age of 16 until he discovered special relativity ten years later.

olive6741

07 Jan 2018

4filegate wrote:
07 Jan 2018
The speed of light is the same to any observer, no matter how fast he moves (soon 50 here). Nobody should feel too put down for asking such questions. They are exactly the kind of question that Einstein often asked himself from the age of 16 until he discovered special relativity ten years later.
THIS!! ^^ :D

Marco Raaphorst

07 Jan 2018

For 100% I believed in guitar as my main instrument. I still do. Nothing comes close for me.

Zac

09 Jan 2018

I had the world at my feet at 18. I thought i could change things. I went hunt saboteuring, i was in London for the Poll Tax demos. I was A-OK. Right on. I had beliefs. I could find meaning.

Now i just drink. What's the point? I'm just one of 7,000,000,000 souls. Soon to be 10 billion and beyond. It's just not sustainable.

Period. War. Famine. Nuclear. Reduction.

I hope what is left can have some meaning.

Enjoy music. For now. Hic.

demt

10 Jan 2018

Zac wrote:
09 Jan 2018
I had the world at my feet at 18. I thought i could change things. I went hunt saboteuring, i was in London for the Poll Tax demos. I was A-OK. Right on. I had beliefs. I could find meaning.

Now i just drink. What's the point? I'm just one of 7,000,000,000 souls. Soon to be 10 billion and beyond. It's just not sustainable.

Period. War. Famine. Nuclear. Reduction.

I hope what is left can have some meaning.

Enjoy music. For now. Hic.
I share the same story
But I. Don't think I've sold out If anything im watching a new world order come about
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

splangie

11 Jan 2018

Yes. Yes and they are all either dead, diseased, addicted or in prison.
Zac wrote:
09 Jan 2018
...It's just not sustainable. Period. War. Famine. Nuclear. Reduction. I hope what is left can have some meaning...
At least it is interesting. But none of this is new except nuclear. The world has always been full of SAMFs. There have always been huge numbers of people in misery and suffering and despair, plus any other terrible thing you can think of. And no matter how bad anyone has it, millions have and will have it even worse, forever. It is now and ever shall be.... blah blah blah blah. Amen, Amen.

Marco Raaphorst

11 Jan 2018

Recently an old concert of my old band MAM was uploaded. Over 25 years ago. Me playing guitar. A weird experience. Looks as if someone else is playing :D

Aosta

11 Jan 2018

At 18 (in the 1980s) I believed WW3 was going to happen around the year 2000, years later I just think I was a little premature in my timescale.
Tend the flame

EnochLight

16 Jan 2018

I look back at my 18-year old self, and despite some clothing/fashion misteps and a bit of life meandering, I'd do it all over again and probably the exact same way. If my 18-year old self could have seen where I am now and what my future would have turned out like, I think I would have been largely satisfied. Do I have regrets? Sure! But life's too short to focus on the negative. Just keep rock'n!

That said, my beliefs changed; my ideals matured. I don't think I'd do it any different, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

plaamook

17 Jan 2018

For the most part, yes. When I was young (cue animals riff...) I saw the world and thought why can't people just stop being count to one another. Why can't they stopbeing so greedy and fearful and agressive? I was pretty politically left I guess. Then I got older and started thinking that people are count because of the way the world is, the way power structures are, human nature, etc. It's just like a maths problem. It isn't our fault that we're a bunch of count. I started seeing a way more conservative vision of it all in many ways. But now I'm coming back to just thinking people are count. That even with the existing power structures as they are on all levels and so forth, people could and should just try a little harder not to suck.
I think many people do. But probably not enough of them.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Dabbler

17 Jan 2018

When I was young, like teenage, there was a lot of talk about pollution in the air. I remember having this vivid imagining where the cars in the hood passed by with huge plumes of toxic gases coming out the pipes and everyone was wearing gas masks, standing around barely visible in the mists.

EnochLight

17 Jan 2018

Dabbler wrote:
17 Jan 2018
When I was young, like teenage, there was a lot of talk about pollution in the air. I remember having this vivid imagining where the cars in the hood passed by with huge plumes of toxic gases coming out the pipes and everyone was wearing gas masks, standing around barely visible in the mists.
Not too far off from current Beijing, China:

Beijing_2017.jpg
Beijing_2017.jpg (33.93 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

full-of-life

18 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
17 Jan 2018
Dabbler wrote:
17 Jan 2018
What do we mean when we talk about nature?
Swiss mountain air has relaxing and refreshing powers. Many people regularly visit the numerous health resorts in the Alps to experience its benefits.
Get your own little piece of Switzerland, pure Swiss canned air. We help you and bring with our pure bottled Swiss air the experience to you. Although
the air we capture is already clean in its natural state, we refine, dry and filter it, so that an outstanding quality is guaranteed. That oughta do it.

To whom does the world belong?
I'd suggest we could say that everybody belongs to this world, numerous arguments that make sense.
And interestingly in that relationship we do need the world, but it doesn't need us.
R10 msi gt72 windows10 abluesky mediadesk 2.1 CME WaveIdea Bitstream 3X/Xkey37 4filegate YT ▢▢ allihoopa

Dabbler

18 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
17 Jan 2018
Dabbler wrote:
17 Jan 2018

Beijing_2017.jpg
This isn't quite the image I had in my head, but it's pretty close.

FlowerSoldier

18 Jan 2018

When I was 18 I believed I would smoke weed every day, just like Nate Dogg.
Almost 20 years later and I was absolutely right.
R.I.P. Nate Dogg

Zac

20 Jan 2018

When i was very young i found tramps (bums, wanderers) interesting. I admired them for living a different way. In my young eyes, a life close to nature and closer to our ancient nomadic ways.

I never saw the alcohol or drugs. I did see the anger and rage and always wondered why they should feel that way when i saw them as free. Of course i see things as they are much more now. Still, i don't think I'll ever shake the desire to be free. Whatever that is.

ravisoni

26 Jan 2018

I would hope that the ideals have changed, evolved, grown, being added to over time. You need certain principles to go by to ease the decision making process, but for most (me included), 18 is a little too young to ratify those principles as a lifestyle choice. Just like an age of 12 would be a little too young to get married. Not that either doesn't happen, but things are generally better when they don't.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

33db

27 Jan 2018

My 2 bits, and it was probably already covered... the older you get the more conservative you get.

And by "conservative" I mean the dictionary definition "marked by moderation or caution" and not quick to change things without some thought put into it.
Somehow the media and politics managed to change "conservative" into a dirty word.

So do I see things the same way as when I was 18? Absolutely not, and the wisdom was earned the hard way, because I had a hard head.

dvdrtldg

06 Feb 2018

Politically I've moved further to the left than when I was 18, although in the sense of being moderate/cautious yes, I'm probably more conservative

I was a real douche at 18. Excruciatingly self conscious, entitled, angsty. Obsessed with the Big Questions of what's it all about, why are we here, what's my higher purpose in life etc. And contemptuous of people who were just getting on with their lives and enjoying themselves, which I considered to be lame & bourgeois. I saw myself as potentially a great writer/musician, but smoked way too much weed to actually produce anything worthwhile

I'm probably still a douche these days but I give far less of a shit what people think of me, and also couldn't give a shit about the Big Questions any more, all of which is a huge relief. I used to think there had to be some grand purpose behind everything, now I'm glad to realise there isn't. You live, you do your best to make things nice for the people around you, you die, eventually nobody remembers you ever existed. Some people find that depressing, for me it really takes the pressure off

There's no point to any of it! Make some music, spend as much time outdoors as you can, be as healthy as you can, don't be a dick to others, try developing a meditation practice, forget about being "happy". Be less goal oriented, remember that your importance is relative, and that to the vast majority of the global population you don't even exist (this is all advice that I would give to my 18 year old self if I could go back)

Gorgon

07 Feb 2018

splangie wrote:
11 Jan 2018
At least it is interesting. But none of this is new except nuclear. The world has always been full of SAMFs. There have always been huge numbers of people in misery and suffering and despair, plus any other terrible thing you can think of. And no matter how bad anyone has it, millions have and will have it even worse, forever. It is now and ever shall be.... blah blah blah blah. Amen, Amen.
The big difference being that we're talking about billions this time, who reproduce even more (thanks largely to religion) billions of people. The planet simply can't handle it. This will not end well.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

• Information