Saw a Depeche Mode cover band last night - and holy hell were they awesome

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
EnochLight

22 Dec 2017

There's an LA-based Depeche Mode tribute band called Strangelove, and they played a venue near Detroit last night called Small's. This was probably one of the best shows I've been to in the past decade, and dare I say I enjoyed this show more than I did the actual band from just this past summer! It was all deep cut tracks - the stuff we all wish the actual band would play at their shows these days.

They were extremely well rehearsed, the lead singer had Dave's stage presence and manners down to a science - and his baritone voice, and the music was SPOT ON. I'm talking EditEd4TV-quality ReCovers here - virtually every song. The stuff they did from the Black Celebration, Music For the Masses, Violator, and Songs of F&D era were as if they had the actual stems from the multitracks - that's how good they sounded. Everything else-era sounded 90% there.

If any of you are Depeche fans and ever have a chance to check these guys out, I strongly suggest making an effort. They were amazing!

This clip is the actual tribute band:

https://www.depechetribute.com/
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2017

As much as they seem to be awesome at what they do, I have a hard time with this. I'm sure they've put a ton of work into getting all things right and as similar as possible and it's great that people enjoy these tribute things.

But for me, it's weird but I almost get depressed watching this. I just imagine if I spent my time trying to copy some else as much as possible to become a clone. That has to be the most uncreative, unoriginal thing ever. I just can't get over that feeling while listening to this even if they are all great performers.
Even as an audience member I'm going to a concert to see the "real" artist that I've listened to for years even if they are not in their prime anymore. I would actually prefer if a tribute band added something unique to the songs.

Sorry I didn't expect to get such a strong negative reaction from a great tribute band :) but this just rubbed me the wrong way. They were too good at being clones :D
Not for me, but again it's great that other people can enjoy these things.

CaliforniaBurrito

23 Dec 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Dec 2017
Your post reminds me of my father who used to discourage my brothers from playing cover songs on their guitars. This was back in my high school hip hop days and I was already disowned for that. :lol: Covers don't do anything for me either though even with a sibling in a local Tool tribute band. I will say it made my brother a better musician but that's probably not the motive here with these folks. People who are fans enjoy the vibe. Maybe go with a mindset of having a few drinks and a good time with some friends.
Last edited by CaliforniaBurrito on 23 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
23 Dec 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Dec 2017
People who are fans enjoy the vibe. Maybe go with a mindset of having a few drinks and a good time with some friends.
Absolutely. I'm not against cover bands in any way even if it's not my favorite part about music. I've played covers in the past too. And also I'm working as a music teacher so I play and sing other peoples music in front of classes all the time. I think it's the "clone" thing that got to me, you know erasing every trace of your own personality :D

CaliforniaBurrito

23 Dec 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Dec 2017
I think it's the "clone" thing that got to me, you know erasing every trace of your own personality :D
Yeah the clone thing makes it more of a craft rather than art. If you inject too much of your own personality into a tribute, it becomes a loose cover instead. Then you have a bunch of people complaining about the show because it wasn't spot on. :lol:
Last edited by CaliforniaBurrito on 23 Dec 2017, edited 2 times in total.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
23 Dec 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Dec 2017
I think it's the "clone" thing that got to me, you know erasing every trace of your own personality :D
Yeah the clone thing makes it more of a craft rather than art. If you inject too much of your own personality into a cover, it becomes a tribute instead. Then you have a bunch of people complaining about the show because it wasn't spot on. :lol:
Yeah you can't win I guess :D

Better to write your own material :)

EnochLight

23 Dec 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
23 Dec 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Dec 2017
Yeah the clone thing makes it more of a craft rather than art.
See, I completely - fundamentally - disagree with this, and here's why: learning covers is a fantastic method for developing your own skills as a musician; impersonating celebrities - in this case musicians - truly is an accomplished art form and has been for decades - not everyone can do it, and not everyone can do it well; finally, I've actually enjoyed watching tribute bands of some of my favorite childhood acts in the past few months more than I have of the actual bands themselves! This is usually because 1. the bands no longer exist professionally, or 2. what they sound like today is NOTHING like what they used to sound like in their "better" years.

I'm not sure how you can't see celebrity impersonation as an art form in itself. If it's not, then I challenge you to do it yourself, and do a convincing job. ;) Don't be bothered by the idea of "cloning" an artist in tribute of their work. It can be argued that (people such as) actors and actresses erase every trace of their own personality for a living in the theater. The theater has been one of the most successful forms of human entertainment, art, and culture for thousands of years. Just say'n! ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

23 Dec 2017

EnochLight wrote:
CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
23 Dec 2017
Yeah the clone thing makes it more of a craft rather than art.
See, I completely - fundamentally - disagree with this, and here's why: learning covers is a fantastic method for developing your own skills as a musician; impersonating celebrities - in this case musicians - truly is an accomplished art form and has been for decades - not everyone can do it, and not everyone can do it well; finally, I've actually enjoyed watching tribute bands of some of my favorite childhood acts in the past few months more than I have of the actual bands themselves! This is usually because 1. the bands no longer exist professionally, or 2. what they sound like today is NOTHING like what they used to sound like in their "better" years.

I'm not sure how you can't see celebrity impersonation as an art form in itself. If it's not, then I challenge you to do it yourself, and do a convincing job. ;) Don't be bothered by the idea of "cloning" an artist in tribute of their work. It can be argued that (people such as) actors and actresses erase every trace of their own personality for a living in the theater. The theater has been one of the most successful forms of human entertainment, art, and culture for thousands of years. Just say'n! ;)
But is it not true as stated: it is MORE of a craft than an art? With a cover band, you must erase your own personality to make it work, but with art you must inject as much of your own personality to make it work.

Note it was NOT stated it takes no talent. Craft takes IMMENSE talent to pull off.

On a side note, you never hear anyone say “I saw this amazing Van Gogh cover artist the other day”. Sure, it would take immense study and talent to duplicate a Van Gogh. But would you still not say “Yeah the clone thing makes it more of a craft rather than art?”.

Same for cloning vintage gear - if you say it sounds like an 1176, it better sound exactly like an 1176. If OTOH, you want an 1176 inspired compressor, that’s cool too - one is definitely “more craft than art” IMO.

So it’s not a ‘slam’ to say cloning is more craft than art - ask any master craftsman if their work is easy!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

23 Dec 2017

selig wrote:
23 Dec 2017
But is it not true as stated: it is MORE of a craft than an art? With a cover band, you must erase your own personality to make it work, but with art you must inject as much of your own personality to make it work.

Note it was NOT stated it takes no talent. Craft takes IMMENSE talent to pull off.

On a side note, you never hear anyone say “I saw this amazing Van Gogh cover artist the other day”. Sure, it would take immense study and talent to duplicate a Van Gogh. But would you still not say “Yeah the clone thing makes it more of a craft rather than art?”.

Same for cloning vintage gear - if you say it sounds like an 1176, it better sound exactly like an 1176. If OTOH, you want an 1176 inspired compressor, that’s cool too - one is definitely “more craft than art” IMO.

So it’s not a ‘slam’ to say cloning is more craft than art - ask any master craftsman if their work is easy!

I would say that craft and art can be mutually exclusive, in this particular case. ;) Believe me, had you seen these guys live the other night, assuming you're a DM fan, you would have agreed. :D

While unrelated, I have to say that nothing can teach you better about quality art than attempting to produce it, and Strangelove did exactly that. I've seen some pretty epic reproductions of art as well - it's indeed an art form in itself.

VHS

23 Dec 2017

CaliforniaBurrito

23 Dec 2017

Hey I'm still in my 20's but I like Depeche Mode to an extent. I own a Greatest Hits compilation - that has to count for something! :D

CaliforniaBurrito

23 Dec 2017

Hmm just spent some time reading the difference between a cover band and a tribute band. I was of the mind that a tribute band has more freedom while a cover band is more restricted but it seems to be the opposite! Confusing words. You would think a cover band covers and a tribute band pays to an influence right? Geeze-louize. Anyways, I'll edit my post above so it makes more sense!

EnochLight

23 Dec 2017

VHS wrote:
23 Dec 2017
HAHAHA!!! Orgazmo FTW!!

selig
RE Developer

23 Dec 2017

EnochLight wrote:
selig wrote:
23 Dec 2017

I would say that craft and art can be mutually exclusive, in this particular case. ;) Believe me, had you seen these guys live the other night, assuming you're a DM fan, you would have agreed. :D

While unrelated, I have to say that nothing can teach you better about quality art than attempting to produce it, and Strangelove did exactly that. I've seen some pretty epic reproductions of art as well - it's indeed an art form in itself.
Totally agree on every point. It’s a great learning experience. I did two years of cover band “duty” on drums and on keys including key bass. I honed my craft at that time and felt it built a strong foundation for my art. But it wasn’t art on any level, which became obvious to me at the point I decided to try to be an artist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Ostermilk

25 Dec 2017

Art and cover. Why not?

Proof!

CaliforniaBurrito

25 Dec 2017

Haa! The difference between a cover and a tribute is art IMO. Automobile mechanics do more creative thinking than tribute bands. I have a sibling who does both of those! Being a clone is left brain analytical thinking while covering engages the right side of the brain for personal creativity. I am aware of the left brain vs right brain arguments but that is neither here nor there. This one of my favorite covers!

EnochLight

25 Dec 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
25 Dec 2017
Haa! The difference between a cover and a tribute is art IMO. Automobile mechanics do more creative thinking than tribute bands. I have a sibling who does both of those! Being a clone is left brain analytical thinking while covering engages the right side of the brain for personal creativity. I am aware of the left brain vs right brain arguments but that is neither here nor there. This one of my favorite covers!

Well, you can't bring up left brain/right brain arguments and then dismiss them. ;) And seriously - automobile mechanics?! Lol :lol: We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm sure your sibling considers him/her-self an artist no matter what they're doing on stage.

Mike Geier aside, I've actually got tickets to see Postmodern Jukebox on February 2nd! :)

CaliforniaBurrito

25 Dec 2017

EnochLight wrote:
25 Dec 2017
Well, you can't bring up left brain/right brain arguments and then dismiss them. ;)
Not dismissive of the argument. Just saying the argument against left/right brain functionality is besides the point I make about art vs craft. :D

Anyways have fun in February! :)

• Information