Pawn Shop Stories

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Post Reply
hurricane
Posts: 60
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

06 Nov 2017

I'm interested to read what music-related things you guys found at your local pawn shops.

Not that long ago, I walked into a shop and the first thing I noticed was the Roland XP-30 keyboard front and center in the instrument section. Looked brand new. Got closer and the thing looked like it was in mint condition. Being familiar with Roland XPs I thought this thing was going to be at least $500, probably higher because it looked brand spanking new. So I don't see a price anywhere - this place usually has big sticker prices right on their merchandise, but this XP30 had none. I pulled the keyboard out and noticed a small price sticker hidden on the back. $135. WHAT? NO WAY? SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG WITH THIS THING. So I put it through a pretty thorough test. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT.

Knowing it held 2 extra expansion boards in addition to the 3 that come pre-installed, I flipped through some patches to see if the 3 factory boards were there, and yes they were. But then curiously after the last patch of board 3, the presets kept going. THERE'S ANOTHER BOARD IN THIS THING! And there was - the LATIN card. I DON'T THINK THEY KNOW THIS IS IN HERE. And so I kept going hoping that it contained a 5th board. And this is where I tried not to show my shock and excitement. There indeed was a 5th board in the XP-30, and to my complete inner astonishment, it was the legendary VINTAGE SYNTH BOARD. THIS BOARD ALONE IS WORTH $200. Needless to say I didn't tell the pawn shop girl about my discovery. I merely asked her if I could have the "old keyboard from the 90s" for $110. She said she couldn't sell it for less than $120. SOLD.

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 526
Joined: 19 May 2016
Contact:

07 Nov 2017

I only ever went in one once and came face to face with some huge plastic penises so i turned around and walked out... ;)

But seriously, nice to hear they aren't always ripping people off.

User avatar
Gorgon
Posts: 1104
Joined: 11 Mar 2016

07 Nov 2017

hurricane wrote:
06 Nov 2017
I'm interested to read what music-related things you guys found at your local pawn shops.

Not that long ago, I walked into a shop and the first thing I noticed was the Roland XP-30 keyboard front and center in the instrument section. Looked brand new. Got closer and the thing looked like it was in mint condition. Being familiar with Roland XPs I thought this thing was going to be at least $500, probably higher because it looked brand spanking new. So I don't see a price anywhere - this place usually has big sticker prices right on their merchandise, but this XP30 had none. I pulled the keyboard out and noticed a small price sticker hidden on the back. $135. WHAT? NO WAY? SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG WITH THIS THING. So I put it through a pretty thorough test. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT.

Knowing it held 2 extra expansion boards in addition to the 3 that come pre-installed, I flipped through some patches to see if the 3 factory boards were there, and yes they were. But then curiously after the last patch of board 3, the presets kept going. THERE'S ANOTHER BOARD IN THIS THING! And there was - the LATIN card. I DON'T THINK THEY KNOW THIS IS IN HERE. And so I kept going hoping that it contained a 5th board. And this is where I tried not to show my shock and excitement. There indeed was a 5th board in the XP-30, and to my complete inner astonishment, it was the legendary VINTAGE SYNTH BOARD. THIS BOARD ALONE IS WORTH $200. Needless to say I didn't tell the pawn shop girl about my discovery. I merely asked her if I could have the "old keyboard from the 90s" for $110. She said she couldn't sell it for less than $120. SOLD.
That's awesome. :)
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 608
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

08 Nov 2017

Zac wrote:
07 Nov 2017
I only ever went in one once and came face to face with some huge plastic penises so i turned around and walked out... ;)

But seriously, nice to hear they aren't always ripping people off.
That's fuchen awesome...

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 526
Joined: 19 May 2016
Contact:

08 Nov 2017

plaamook wrote:
08 Nov 2017
Zac wrote:
07 Nov 2017
I only ever went in one once and came face to face with some huge plastic penises so i turned around and walked out... ;)

But seriously, nice to hear they aren't always ripping people off.
That's fuchen awesome...
I know right! I substituted porn and my experience. I am muchly under appreciated in so many ways.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests