Is this musical thing a no no or is it actually a known thing?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Zac

30 Oct 2017

Ok so I'm doing something in Am (natural) but when I want to use the chord of E I think it sounds better as the major (with the G#) rather than Emin... I guess it's just adding an accidental G# but I'm not on the best form at the minute so wondering whether my ears are deceiving me?? ;)

QVprod

30 Oct 2017

It's normal. The G# would be part of the harmonic minor scale. A half step to the root is always a stronger leading tone to the tonal center (key) so It's actually pretty common.

That said, there's no such thing as a musical no no unless it sounds bad.

Zac

30 Oct 2017

QVprod wrote:
30 Oct 2017
It's normal. The G# would be part of the harmonic minor scale. A half step to the root is always a stronger leading tone to the tonal center (key) so It's actually pretty common.

That said, there's no such thing as a musical no no unless it sounds bad.
Music to my insecure ears ;) Thanks QV.

selig
RE Developer

30 Oct 2017

Zac wrote:
30 Oct 2017
Ok so I'm doing something in Am (natural) but when I want to use the chord of E I think it sounds better as the major (with the G#) rather than Emin... I guess it's just adding an accidental G# but I'm not on the best form at the minute so wondering whether my ears are deceiving me?? ;)
To quote Duke Ellington: if is sounds good, it IS good.
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Zac

30 Oct 2017

Thanks Selig. I'm missing having a physical guitar so much I've made a guitar based song using the Props IDTs as an Allihoopa "sing to this" thing... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7503993 I'm sure there's so many at such good quality this will get get passed by but I thought it was ok for an afternoons work.

• Information