How strange....

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2017

An interview with Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) by RT America popped up in my YouTube app. If you haven't seen anything regarding his latest tour then you should know that it is very anti-Trump and political (from what I've seen).
Anyhoo... the set includes tracks from the 1977 album Animals and so the interviewer brings up that he was singing about the "White House" 40 years ago (Pigs (three different ones)) and I thought heh? surely it's "Whitehouse" as in Mary Whitehouse (a nutter from that era that didn't want anyone to have any fun). He doesn't contradict her and carries on like she is correct.
The scary part of this story is that Google Play Music has the lyrics as "White House" rather than what is written on the album cover!
I'm not sure if I have a particular point but I do feel disturbed that the original intention of the song from my youth has been twisted into something else. And Roger Waters is going along with it. Weird.

Grum.
Last edited by Grumbleweed on 15 Aug 2017, edited 1 time in total.

4filegate

14 Aug 2017

Grumbleweed wrote:
14 Aug 2017
An interview with Roger Walters (Pink Floyd) by RT America popped up .....
............And Roger Walters is going along with it. Weird.
Grum.
So what? Welcome to the Machine typographical errors! You misspell a Roger Waters.

Nick Pa

14 Aug 2017

4filegate wrote:
14 Aug 2017
Grumbleweed wrote:
14 Aug 2017
An interview with Roger Walters (Pink Floyd) by RT America popped up .....
............And Roger Walters is going along with it. Weird.
Grum.
So what? Welcome to the Machine typographical errors! You misspell a Roger Waters.
I think he ment to say Barbra WALTERS....hahahaha. Welcome my son...

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2017

I'd like to blame my phone but it can type Waters without changing it to Walters! Oops.
Doesn't change the fact that he went along with interview as if White House was his intention 40 years ago rather than Whitehouse.

Grum.

Ahornberg

14 Aug 2017

The Waltons lived in a white house too:

CaliforniaBurrito

14 Aug 2017

A piece of art can surely evolve. I've found other meanings in past projects that weren't there during inception.

WongoTheSane

14 Aug 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
14 Aug 2017
A piece of art can surely evolve. I've found other meanings in past projects that weren't there during inception.
Radioactivity by Kraftwerk, springs to mind...

1975 lyrics:

Radioactivity
Is in the air for you and me
Radioactivity
Discovered by Madame Curie
Radioactivity
Tune in to the melody

Current lyrics:

Tschernobyl, Harrisburgh, Sellafield, Hiroshima
Stop radioactivity
Is in the air for you and me
Stop radioactivity
Discovered by Madame Curie
Chain reaction and mutation, contaminated population
Stop radioactivity

platzangst

15 Aug 2017

Grumbleweed wrote:
14 Aug 2017
Doesn't change the fact that he went along with interview as if White House was his intention 40 years ago rather than Whitehouse.
Nobody in the US knew who Whitehouse was back then - probably don't even now - so maybe Waters didn't feel like correcting an ongoing 40-year misunderstanding, after all this time...

4filegate

16 Aug 2017

Okidoki^ it was a foreign language that I do not understand what happened to be set.

who actually care about the predicament of the human race?
telling big lives often and loud and the last thing you want on in the mainstream media is anybody shining your actual real light on anything

The Circle 2017
American techno-thriller film based on Dave Eggers 2013 novel of the same name. "_cyberspace and how social networking can damage the people's relationships"
A sort of; when the time will come that people's thoughts will be knowable as public information, saying that "the world deserves nothing less and would not wait".

plaamook

18 Aug 2017

I know a guy who got into a fight with ol' Rog and got chucked out of his house. Was in a band with his son. Funny guy.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2017

plaamook wrote:
18 Aug 2017
I know a guy who got into a fight with ol' Rog and got chucked out of his house. Was in a band with his son. Funny guy.
Funny ha ha or funny weird?

Grum.

plaamook

20 Aug 2017

Grumbleweed wrote:
19 Aug 2017
plaamook wrote:
18 Aug 2017

Grum.
Both.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

stratatonic

21 Aug 2017

Grumbleweed wrote:
14 Aug 2017
An interview with Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) by RT America popped up in my YouTube app. If you haven't seen anything regarding his latest tour then you should know that it is very anti-Trump and political (from what I've seen).
Anyhoo... the set includes tracks from the 1977 album Animals and so the interviewer brings up that he was singing about the "White House" 40 years ago (Pigs (three different ones)) and I thought heh? surely it's "Whitehouse" as in Mary Whitehouse (a nutter from that era that didn't want anyone to have any fun). He doesn't contradict her and carries on like she is correct.
The scary part of this story is that Google Play Music has the lyrics as "White House" rather than what is written on the album cover!
I'm not sure if I have a particular point but I do feel disturbed that the original intention of the song from my youth has been twisted into something else. And Roger Waters is going along with it. Weird.

Grum.
So is Roger more of a Pig or a Dog here?

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2017

stratatonic wrote:
21 Aug 2017
Grumbleweed wrote:
14 Aug 2017

Grum.
So is Roger more of a Pig or a Dog here?
A Turkey!
I'm biased towards David Gilmour anyway but I do admire Waters for keeping himself up together dispite his advancing years. I have the live The Wall blu-ray and it's a very impressive concert. Sounds great on my surround system :).

Grum.

Sorped

29 Aug 2017

Even though the lyrics were written Whitehouse (as I understand it) back then, he could still have meant a "hidden snide" at the White House back then too, no? :puf_smile:
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

Gorgon

29 Aug 2017

Grumbleweed wrote:
14 Aug 2017

Grum.
“Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.”
― George Orwell, 1984
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

BonsaiMacKay

29 Aug 2017

Sorped wrote:
29 Aug 2017
Even though the lyrics were written Whitehouse (as I understand it) back then, he could still have meant a "hidden snide" at the White House back then too, no? :puf_smile:
Hmm, could be... though it'd make a lot more sense if the White House occupant at the time Waters composed the song were called Mary Ford instead of Gerald Ford. :puf_bigsmile:

Sorped

29 Aug 2017

BonsaiMacKay wrote:
29 Aug 2017
Sorped wrote:
29 Aug 2017
Hmm, could be... though it'd make a lot more sense if the White House occupant at the time Waters composed the song were called Mary Ford instead of Gerald Ford. :puf_bigsmile:
Almost sound alike! :)
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

stratatonic

02 Sep 2017

Last edited by stratatonic on 02 Sep 2017, edited 2 times in total.

stratatonic

02 Sep 2017

stratatonic wrote:
02 Sep 2017
Grumbleweed wrote:
25 Aug 2017

A Turkey!
I'm biased towards David Gilmour anyway but I do admire Waters for keeping himself up together dispite his advancing years. I have the live The Wall blu-ray and it's a very impressive concert. Sounds great on my surround system :).

Grum.
A turkey, yeah. Gobbling up that cash with both hands rehashing countless versions of The Wall. New car (old classic car?) caviar...His many versions of The Wall seems to have morphed from his neurotic fucked up rocker to a father tribute/anti-war/establishment thingy. What ever sells, I suppose.

I don't doubt that the original Pigs was a dig at the White House as well as your UK Mary. He didn't say 'you fucked up old hag' after Whitehouse, leaving it open for different interpretations. It seems to be working well for him.

I'm glad you are enjoying your blu-ray Wall live version! I gave it a go and was suitably impressed. The concert visuals and movie edits really help with Roger's vision. Kudos to his video team for the concert visuals!

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2017

Turns out I'm going to see him in concert in London next year - I'll see if I can ask him about this :D

Grum.

Creativemind

08 Oct 2017

Grumbleweed wrote:
19 Aug 2017
plaamook wrote:
18 Aug 2017

Grum.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information