Are you in control of your own thoughts, actions and decisions?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2017

Interesting observations about Cypher. If Cypher appears in a scene in a particular way it had a reason. Really does show the amount of detail that goes into a movie!

selig
RE Developer

26 Aug 2017

siln wrote:selig , i see yu as a lovely actor/contributor of the rt forum , but as i said , you cant think if you dont know that what you are processing is called "thinking" , mybe you are swouging or some other concept we arent aware oif , but if you dont apply to the word thinking then you are not thinking , may you ar ethijin ot wanghin or idk but nothing close as thinking which is a Word
Thanks? I was talking about a coin toss, not making any comment on the 'thinking' thread.

We are, therefore we think.

You can't talk if you don't know that what you are saying is talking?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

jappe

27 Aug 2017

An interesting discussion between a scientist and a mystic:

avasopht
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2017

jappe wrote:
27 Aug 2017
An interesting discussion between a scientist and a mystic:
This could be interesting :thumbs_up:

pacorobles

29 Aug 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
24 Aug 2017
pacorobles wrote:
24 Aug 2017
Nope. I have to eat so I'm forced to work. I have to work so I have to look, talk and think like a good candidate for the position and get the job.
Self-moderation and adjusting to circumstances can be perceived as being in control. :)
I'm not entirely sure I understand of what exactly would we be under control . Rather, we are under an outdated social order.
Best,
Paco
:reason: 9.5

CaliforniaBurrito

29 Aug 2017

pacorobles wrote:
29 Aug 2017
I'm not entirely sure I understand of what exactly would we be under control . Rather, we are under an outdated social order.
Amen. You win the thread. :thumbs_up:

siln

01 Sep 2017

selig wrote:
26 Aug 2017
siln wrote:selig , i see yu as a lovely actor/contributor of the rt forum , but as i said , you cant think if you dont know that what you are processing is called "thinking" , mybe you are swouging or some other concept we arent aware oif , but if you dont apply to the word thinking then you are not thinking , may you ar ethijin ot wanghin or idk but nothing close as thinking which is a Word
Thanks? I was talking about a coin toss, not making any comment on the 'thinking' thread.

We are, therefore we think.

You can't talk if you don't know that what you are saying is talking?

sry , you can express words than someone would identify as talking , but maybe your doing something else
selig wrote:
25 Aug 2017
As to the coin toss being random or deterministic - I would think that once the coin has left your hand, the result is 100% determined. However, BEFORE it leaves your hand, there is a 50/50 chance either way. So in this way, it is BOTH. FWIW.

BTW, I see no arrogance in making assumptions about the way the universe works.

I like it , it relates to the Law f large numbers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2017

I don't see how you need to know the word thinking to think, or the word talking to talk. You can do something without having a word for it.

If you are playing a scale, you are playing a scale whether you know the word "scale" or not. I don't see why someone would argue otherwise. There just isn't a strong case for it.

siln

01 Sep 2017

avasopht wrote:
01 Sep 2017
I don't see how you need to know the word thinking to think, or the word talking to talk. You can do something without having a word for it.

If you are playing a scale, you are playing a scale whether you know the word "scale" or not. I don't see why someone would argue otherwise. There just isn't a strong case for it.
Others would identify it as thinking , or as anything else
if you are lucky ppl identify you as talking but sometimes they can think otherwise,
but lets think you trying something more ambitious than just talking , expressing words in a different way , well ppl will still relate it as talking if they dont know that you are trying something more complicated

siln

01 Sep 2017

just spreading the idea that words are labels which limits any potentials , let s say your girlfriend is talking to you , maybe she trying to do something futrther just talking , but we dont have words for anything

mystic68749

24 Aug 2020

We think that our individual mindfulness does not make, cause, or select our convictions, sentiments, or discernments. Instep, the substance of awareness is produced “behind the scenes” by quick, effective, non-conscious frameworks in our brains. All this happens without any obstructions from our individual mindfulness, which sits inactively within the traveler situate whereas these forms happen. It is all about our subconscious mind. If you have enough time do visit https://truecosmic.com/

fev

25 Aug 2020

Wow, some interesting discussion here. This is my take, I haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if I repeat points made by anyone else.

Of course we all make choices and decisions constantly and most of them certainly feel like free choices.

However what we are, this entity that is making the choices, is simply the combination of our genes, environment and most of all our entire history of experiences.

If you accept basic principles of cause and effect then logically every choice we make is the only choice that we could have made at that time. An entity with slightly different experiences may have made a slightly (or dramatically) different choice but that entity is not us.

While we can map the human genome the multitude of variations of experience that happen in an individual life is of course incalculable, but if it could somehow be calculated one day through some kind of crazy quantum computing then we could perhaps predict human behaviour with absolute certainty.

So although impossible to prove empirically (yet) there are strong logical indications that free will is an illusion.

It is however an entirely necessary illusion in my opinion.

If we were actually to live our lives as if we had no free will and believed that everything was predetermined I think we would quickly descend into nihilism and despair.

tronam

27 Aug 2020

Nope, I'm a slave to my habits and tastes which were hardened decades ago and influence every thought or decision I make. If I had to objectively consider all available options for everything I did, life would come to a screeching halt and I'd be utterly useless. I came to terms with this many years ago though after realizing, even when I was very young, that I can't consciously control what makes me genuinely laugh. The same types of unconscious patterns and associations that dictate that raw response guides every single decision I think I'm "freely" making. It's okay. It's fine. I'm totally fine with it. I'm fine with it alright!
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

moneykube

28 Aug 2020

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::exclamation: :thumbs_up:
gullum wrote:
26 Aug 2020
maybe it's proof that I have a free will because choose not to watch the video
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

avasopht
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2020

gullum wrote:
26 Aug 2020
Quite the opposite, as was explained in the video :roll:

gullum

30 Aug 2020

avasopht wrote:
30 Aug 2020
gullum wrote:
26 Aug 2020
then I guess I will never know

moneykube

31 Aug 2020

gullum wrote:
30 Aug 2020
avasopht wrote:
30 Aug 2020

then I guess I will never know
:lol: me either :puf_bigsmile:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Chizmata

31 Aug 2020

avasopht wrote:
01 Aug 2017
mr sapolsky needs to dig waaaay deeper than this if he wants to prove there is no free will. he just presents some rough hints and ideas, labeling everything "biology" without explaining what really happens. other neuroscientists have tried this way harder in the last 50 years and never made a convincing breakthrough when it came to dialogue with other sciences like psychology or philosophy.

littlejam

02 Sep 2020

heyhey,

is suicide free will
that would be a killer

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

guitfnky

02 Sep 2020

super late to the party, which is weird, because I love this stuff...

anyhoo, I agree with the end determination he comes to, but I think this is one of the weakest arguments for why willpower is a myth. there are some easy holes in his argument that could be used to argue against him (how does such a pre-deterministic view explain quantum randomness, for example?). makes sense seeing as it sounds like he comes from a biological research background, that he would arrive at that determination through a biological lens, but there are other more elegant ways to get there, for sure.

time is an illusion, for example. it stands to reason that anything that results from time is also an illusion, thus free will is illusory.

I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

guitfnky

02 Sep 2020

stopify96 wrote:
02 Sep 2020
guitfnky wrote:
02 Sep 2020
super late to the party, which is weird, because I love this stuff...

anyhoo, I agree with the end determination he comes to, but I think this is one of the weakest arguments for why willpower is a myth. there are some easy holes in his argument that could be used to argue against him (how does such a pre-deterministic view explain quantum randomness, for example?). makes sense seeing as it sounds like he comes from a biological research background, that he would arrive at that determination through a biological lens, but there are other more elegant ways to get there, for sure.

time is an illusion, for example. it stands to reason that anything that results from time is also an illusion, thus free will is illusory.

That Guy is as incoherent as Ryan trying to explain a New reason Synth
ok
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

littlejam

02 Sep 2020

hello,

@stopify96:
you wouldn't be friends with sefnitty or samsome would you?
just curious
if you put a gun in your hand and pulled the trigger
would it be an illusion of time
or your biology that is responsible

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

bxbrkrz

05 Sep 2020

A) Does anyone know what it our average (across cultures and environmental impacts throughout eons) built in latency? From the first spark in our mind, to action. What can we do to reduce it, or eliminate it?

B) What is Inspiration?

C) Can you hear you inner voice? Do you have an inner voice?

:lightbulb: :ugeek: :lightbulb:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

• Information