Timbaland vs Swizz Beatz beat battle, ...

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
gak

28 Jul 2017

QVprod wrote:
24 Jul 2017
To try to avoid a complete derailment here and history repeating itsel ..... for those who aren't very aware of the hiphop genre, (which might very well be the majority of users here) Swiss Beatz and Timbaland are considered legendary beatmakers/producers in the hiphop and R&B genres. A beat battle is basically a competition between two beat makers. While I'll agree the beats in these videos are pretty weak compared to both of their extensive catalogs, keep in mind that the hiphop genre is vocal based so don't expect EDM DJ drops.

Drugs have noting to do with it especially considering there are drug addicts in every genre.
Wow, I don't care if you ban again or not, that is, nonsense.

You seem to have a habit (well before you were a mod) of swinging around stuff that isn't true. I honestly cannot understand why you were chosen.

gak

28 Jul 2017

Here's something that I'm sure no parrot has considered:

Make it sound good (whatever that means) or go home. Who fucking cares about some dopes wannabe thing?

Be a parrot, or be different. Either way, the "battle" between these two is nonsense. Honestly, please show your wonderful contribution to any and all :(

I remember all the dopes that wanted (this is dated) the "Cher" sound effect. Now that 600 billion works of crap have been put out there with it, so what? It's the same garbage.

Honestly, it's BS. Who cares? I remember when the majority of this forum was about being something different from everything else.

Congrats! You've made it all the nonsensical version of "hip hop" (which isn't even true)

Big round of applause..........

siln

28 Jul 2017

classical music sounds the same, the sound the same argument is so typical
battles in hip hop : dj battle dance battle , mcs battle, make a lot of sense and is Fun

there is patterns about babycries on forum that sound the same BS as well
let the guys who like hip hop post about hip hop FFS, and create your post about souding diferent than everything else ?!?

QVprod

29 Jul 2017

gak wrote:
28 Jul 2017
QVprod wrote:
24 Jul 2017
To try to avoid a complete derailment here and history repeating itsel ..... for those who aren't very aware of the hiphop genre, (which might very well be the majority of users here) Swiss Beatz and Timbaland are considered legendary beatmakers/producers in the hiphop and R&B genres. A beat battle is basically a competition between two beat makers. While I'll agree the beats in these videos are pretty weak compared to both of their extensive catalogs, keep in mind that the hiphop genre is vocal based so don't expect EDM DJ drops.

Drugs have noting to do with it especially considering there are drug addicts in every genre.
Wow, I don't care if you ban again or not, that is, nonsense.

You seem to have a habit (well before you were a mod) of swinging around stuff that isn't true. I honestly cannot understand why you were chosen.
.... Not a single thing I said in the post you quoted was untrue.

I have never went around spreading mis-information and in the occasions when I am wrong, I admit to it. If that were not the case, then I would not be a mod.

I'm not sure why you seem to have a vendetta against me that apparently dates back to before I was even a mod..... Seriously, attacking me can't possibly have any real benefit to you.

gak

29 Jul 2017

The bottom line is this:

I'm not a fucking automaton that doesn't understand music. But I have my limits as to what I like and think it trash.

Most edm, rap, pop, country, and what is now LOOSELY known as "r n b" is a joke. That though, permeates music.

I can't tell you how SICK of hearing people debate over "beatz" ... it's like digital vs analog, just shut up. It's mostly the same tempo, the same EXACT sounds, and the same fucking quantized thing I could do on any host.

So why don't I? Because I'm not a fucking capitalistic parrot.

Now don't get me wrong, my shit stinks too :lol: I'm a hobbyist, but the slather over all that bullshit just makes me sick. It's not telling someone what they should and shouldn't listen too. But a fucking 808 is a fucking 808.

QVprod

29 Jul 2017

gak wrote:
29 Jul 2017
I can't tell you how SICK of hearing people debate over "beatz" ... it's like digital vs analog, just shut up. It's mostly the same tempo, the same EXACT sounds, and the same fucking quantized thing I could do on any host.
You have the option of choosing not to participate in threads you have nothing to contribute to. Saying that you're not interested in a beat battle is NOT contributing to a thread about a beat battle.

If you don't care for the content of a thread, simply ignore it and move to the next one. This is best for everyone's experience and eliminates unnecessary conflict. To be clear, that goes for any thread not just this one.

avasopht
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2017

Main thing here is that gak is derailing every thread I post about hip-hop in a very antisocial way. He did it with another thread that had nothing to do with hip-hop, leading one person in the thread to erase his posts because gak's negativity undermined his response.

This seems to be gak's MO, to just shit all over the place.

This is not acceptable behavior on any forum.

It's one thing saying I don't like it and still engaging in conversation. Other people have done so but it was not a derailment, it was just, "I don't get it, ..." and so on. It might not be adding directly, but it adds in the sense that it is an experience of an outside and could still contribute to the discussion.

But when someone actively seeks to just derail the topics and try to crush the conversation unsociably, then the line has been crossed and that person should be asked politely to leave the thread, and if they persist then banning action should be taken because they are becoming a bad actor.

It's gone far beyond polite moderation here QVprod.

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2017

avasopht wrote:
27 Jul 2017
aeox wrote:
27 Jul 2017
Alright so I understand what is actually going on but the thing I "don't get" is why making music is some sort of competition in the first place.

If anything I'd say this "beat battle" is more of a publicity thing.
Some people find competing fun and entertaining ;)
Yea, fair enough. I do as well but mostly in other ways like sports and games. To each his own.

The thing about music though, is how subjective it is. In sports and games you have a clear and obvious winner/loser ( for the most part)

CaliforniaBurrito

30 Jul 2017

I've always been a fan of Timbo but these cats are playing from two separate fields in my opinion. Timbo's production is deep, soulful and groovy while Swiss is more hype and going hard. I think this is apples and oranges for those of us who are more hip-hop acclimated but I enjoy both as the synergy is entertaining without a doubt. Thanks for sharing.

gak

30 Jul 2017

I'm not even going to read anything, just say, I should be able to hate this garbage w/o some prejudice moderator calling me a troll.

I can't even watch "inside training camp" because all the camps have that EXACT SAME MUSIC AT THE SAME TEMPO AND SAME SAMPLES playing in the background. It's like someone is has my soul and is stomping on it.

So homogenized, pre-fabricated and cookie-cutter. Why is that so exciting to people? EDM, I almost get it, but all that other stuff is just lame to me.

Like what you want, but samples at one tempo sound like samples at one tempo.

gak

01 Aug 2017

Alright, to be fair and not the asshole some think I am, have at it.

Regardless of my opinion, others are WITHOUT A DOUBT entitled to theirs. I was "invited" to this and therefore took full-frontal-advantage, which may not have been the best move.

Frankly, despite my very passionate opinions about this, everyone is COMPLETELY entitled to what that think.

Far be it for me to think anyone/everyone should think the same ;)

Gulale

01 Aug 2017

Mark Twain
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
damn attention seekers!
Gulale aka Bereket

sublunar

01 Aug 2017

All I was thinking the whole time was: Who smokes in their studio?

Honestly I wasn't impressed by either contestant. They both lose! :P

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2017

sublunar wrote:
01 Aug 2017

Just in case you missed it - this was a warmup to the actual competition to take place between them, and judging by the comments from Swizz Beatz, these were created in a short space of time (some he said were 10 minutes).

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2017

gak wrote:
01 Aug 2017
Regardless of my opinion, others are WITHOUT A DOUBT entitled to theirs. I was "invited" to this and therefore took full-frontal-advantage, which may not have been the best move.

Frankly, despite my very passionate opinions about this, everyone is COMPLETELY entitled to what that think.

Far be it for me to think anyone/everyone should think the same
Odd. I've stated this very clearly many times in this thread (and the other).

Different opinions = okay.
Not liking a genre = okay.
Not understanding something = okay.

Purposefully derailing thread = not okay.

The fact you repeatedly choose to ignore this by stating / implying that the problem we're having is with you possessing a different point of view, given that it has been very clearly explained that that is not the problem, leads any rational mind to conclude that your intention is just to be antagonistic and derail the thread.

Now I am stating this not to start a discussion about that since it is a redundant discussion given the cause for contention is clearly stated (and further discussion would unnecessarily derail the thread). If you do wish to discuss with me via PM then feel welcome, but if you choose to respond in this thread I can only really consider it a clear attempt to further derail discussion (as has been a repeating pattern of yours).

gak wrote:
01 Aug 2017
Alright, to be fair and not the asshole some think I am
Not repeatedly derailing threads about hip-hop would be a nice start.

It is neither complicated nor elusive.

AttenuationHz

01 Aug 2017

avasopht wrote:
01 Aug 2017
gak wrote:
01 Aug 2017

Far be it for me to think anyone/everyone should think the same
Odd. I've stated this very clearly many times in this thread (and the other).

Different opinions = okay.
Not liking a genre = okay.
Not understanding something = okay.

Purposefully derailing thread = not okay.

The fact you repeatedly choose to ignore this by stating / implying that the problem we're having is with you possessing a different point of view, given that it has been very clearly explained that that is not the problem, leads any rational mind to conclude that your intention is just to be antagonistic and derail the thread.

Now I am stating this not to start a discussion about that since it is a redundant discussion given the cause for contention is clearly stated (and further discussion would unnecessarily derail the thread). If you do wish to discuss with me via PM then feel welcome, but if you choose to respond in this thread I can only really consider it a clear attempt to further derail discussion (as has been a repeating pattern of yours).

gak wrote:
01 Aug 2017
Alright, to be fair and not the asshole some think I am
Not repeatedly derailing threads about hip-hop would be a nice start.

It is neither complicated nor elusive.

There's a very simple solution here which involves not engaging even ignoring. You continue to derail the thread yourself by entertaining it, just so you know! It's a lot harder to do than what's currently going on! I do believe there's still a magic button to make it all disappear too. Don't make it so I'm unsubscribing from the thread. I'm actually not into hip hop at all and would be interested in the outcome of the topic. If the thread is not here I will have to go searching, if I remember, and I really don't want to remind myself to remember...
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

sublunar

02 Aug 2017

avasopht wrote:
01 Aug 2017
sublunar wrote:
01 Aug 2017

Just in case you missed it - this was a warmup to the actual competition to take place between them, and judging by the comments from Swizz Beatz, these were created in a short space of time (some he said were 10 minutes).
No I watched every video actually and am aware of the idea. But yeah, I would expect 10 minutes to be about the max time needed for sounds like that. Especially considering these are professional rich dudes who do this for a living and have the best beat generating devices money can buy (and yet smoke around them...). I found the noises they made to be annoying actually. Mostly the obnoxious vocal samples that polluted what could have otherwise been average sounding beats.

Oquasec

02 Aug 2017

those tracks sound like they took a maximum of one hour to make.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2017

I was very underwhelmed with the first two from Swizz Beatz. The third had a nice feel to it. All 3 from Swizz had pretty much the same drum pattern.

But the vocals I felt had the opposite effect ;)

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2017

sublunar wrote:
02 Aug 2017
Especially considering these are professional rich dudes who do this for a living and have the best beat generating devices money can buy (and yet smoke around them...).
Firstly Timbaland doesn't smoke.

But their "beat generating devices" are no more special than what we have. Timbaland purchases shitty sample packs off of ebay just like anyone else. I realised this when he opened a Justin Timbalake track / video with it.

Right now Timbaland is using Ableton Live. He does record his own sounds and drum hits, but that's still nothing special. Swizz Beatz, since starting this battle has started adopting Ableton Live with the matching drum pad too.

This week the two of them have uploaded videos on instagram of them "improving their craft" with Ableton Live.

There is absolutely nothing special about what these guys use, which is half of the reason I find this beat battle most interesting. Sometimes they're even using pretty average speakers.

• Information