Timbaland vs Swizz Beatz beat battle, ...

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
avasopht
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2017

At a McGreggor / Mayweather Swizz Beatz challenged Timbaland to a beat battle.

Here are the videos from the warmup round:

Timbaland A

Swizz Beatz A

Timbaland B

Swizz Beatz B

Timbaland C

Swizz Beatz C

AttenuationHz

17 Jul 2017

Bringing a new meaning to loudness!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2017

I don't get it

avasopht
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2017

aeox wrote:
17 Jul 2017
I don't get it
Basically this is these are warmup tracks for the upcoming beat battle between Timbaland and Swizz Beatz.

Here's the previous battle between Swizz Beatz and Just Blaze to give you an idea of how it can go:

It is more like a DJ battle than a beat battle where tracks would have been made up on the spot. There may be new / unreleased material presented.

gak

23 Jul 2017

aeox wrote:
17 Jul 2017
I don't get it
You'll get banned for that!

Honestly, I'm sick of it, I don't care if I'm banned permanently or not. It's trash.

Plagiarism, upon Plagiarism, over and over and over (to infinity)

It's crap, I can do better, and I suck.

gak

23 Jul 2017

And another thing (if anyone is actually paying attention............)

The "amen beat" is the greatest beat known to man. Speed it up, slow it down, it's better than the garbage you are "producing" by lightyears.

I'm tired of these idiots trying to claim they are original because they used/copied the "amen" beat ( which nobody can actually do, it'a part of history, and I have OTHER hangups with that, in case anyone is a human being and cares )

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2017

gak wrote:
23 Jul 2017
aeox wrote:
17 Jul 2017
I don't get it
You'll get banned for that!

Honestly, I'm sick of it, I don't care if I'm banned permanently or not. It's trash.
Why would saying, "I don't get it," get you banned?

You seem to consistently enter theads just to throw unfettered stink into it (I'm sure it's not personal to me, but the 4 or so threads of mine you've responded to in the kitchen that's been your MO). There is a distinct difference between expressing an opinion (contrary or even controversial) and just being destructive. I only know of 2 people perm banned - both of which were anti-social. One just kept going ape-shit over sharing stuff about VSTs, and the other just seemed to be a broken record stuck on vitriol.

It's all about being social rather than anti-social.

There are so many constructive ways to critique artists. For a start Swizz used pretty much the same drum pattern in each beat, and I've heard that's a common criticism from beatmakers.

Anyway that's enough neuroticism (and other stuff) for me, I'll just mute.

AttenuationHz

23 Jul 2017

gak wrote:
23 Jul 2017
And another thing (if anyone is actually paying attention............)

The "amen beat" is the greatest beat known to man. Speed it up, slow it down, it's better than the garbage you are "producing" by lightyears.

I'm tired of these idiots trying to claim they are original because they used/copied the "amen" beat ( which nobody can actually do, it'a part of history, and I have OTHER hangups with that, in case anyone is a human being and cares )

Interesting artical: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/network-a ... 48382.html
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

ejanuska

24 Jul 2017

Maybe that's why I don't get into this genre, I don't smoke dope.
These guys are going to have a rude when they get older and younger newer DJs put them out of work.
Save your money, you'll need it.

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Jul 2017

ejanuska wrote:
24 Jul 2017
Maybe that's why I don't get into this genre, I don't smoke dope.
These guys are going to have a rude when they get older and younger newer DJs put them out of work.
Save your money, you'll need it.
Who said you need to smoke dope to make hip-hop?

Also neither of them are DJ's?

ejanuska

24 Jul 2017

Well the one of the DJs or Beatmakers or Jag-offs or whatever you want to call them, was smoking dope like it was going out of style, and hash-tagging "ImWithTheSmoke" constantly. So obviously dope smoking is a cultural aspect of this genre that should be considered.
After listening to the music and not finding any redeeming quality to it, or anything original, I wondered why anyone could enjoy it. The only answer that makes sense is that if you smoke enough dope while listening it will start to sound good. Kind of like beer goggles for music.

jonheal

24 Jul 2017

ejanuska wrote:
24 Jul 2017
Well the one of the DJs or Beatmakers or Jag-offs or whatever you want to call them, was smoking dope like it was going out of style, and hash-tagging "ImWithTheSmoke" constantly. So obviously dope smoking is a cultural aspect of this genre that should be considered.
After listening to the music and not finding any redeeming quality to it, or anything original, I wondered why anyone could enjoy it. The only answer that makes sense is that if you smoke enough dope while listening it will start to sound good. Kind of like beer goggles for music.
Not my bag, so I don't care one way or the other about the tunes, but maybe the smoke was a ceegar:

http://www.complex.com/music/2011/08/sw ... good-times
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Jul 2017

ejanuska wrote:
24 Jul 2017
#imwiththesmoke is the hashtag for the battle. I thought it was a reference to Game of Thrones, which was playing when Timbaland responded, but it might be something else. Note: Timbaland doesn't smoke.

I find it interesting that your presumption is that an entire demographic only like hip-hop because they're all high on weed :roll: Spades.

Lots of sophisticated people who don't are able to enjoy hip-hop so I don't think it's just down to smoking weed (and yes, there are many rappers who don't smoke weed either). I find the presumptions people have about other cultures very intriguing and at the same time revealing.

To assume an entire demographic can only enjoy this type of music because they're all high say a lot about how one views the world.
jonheal wrote:
24 Jul 2017
Not my bag, so I don't care one way or the other about the tunes, but maybe the smoke was a ceegar:

http://www.complex.com/music/2011/08/sw ... good-times
I must admit I thought Swizz had a giant spliff, but yes I can now see it's a cigar :lol: Your google-fu is far mightier than mine.

ejanuska

24 Jul 2017

avasopht wrote:
24 Jul 2017
I find it interesting that your presumption is that an entire demographic only like hip-hop because they're all high on weed :roll: Spades.

Lots of sophisticated people who don't are able to enjoy hip-hop so I don't think it's just down to smoking weed (and yes, there are many rappers who don't smoke weed either). I find the presumptions people have about other cultures very intriguing and at the same time revealing.

To assume an entire demographic can only enjoy this type of music because they're all high say a lot about how one views the world.
First, Nobody glorifies smoking cigars. It's about weed. I know it, you know it, everyone else knows it. Only an ignorant fool would deny it.

Second, I actually don't mind hip-hop when it's good. The posted examples do not meet that criteria.

Third, Does only one race listen to hip-hop? No.
I'm not a racist and did not mention race, yet you assume I am while you use racist epithets like "spades".
That is hypocrisy.

My view of the world? It sucks and it's getting worse. The USA is going to hell in a handbasket. Europe is screwed up. Dope everywhere is not helping. We need a new generation of smart critical thinkers and we're getting a bunch of potheads and opium addicts.

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Jul 2017

ejanuska wrote:
24 Jul 2017
Second, I actually don't mind hip-hop when it's good. The posted examples do not meet that criteria.
Fair enough.

And that's what this thread was about, discussion about the battle. There are ways to be constructive and destructive, and to add or subtract from a discussion.

I wasn't a fan of the first two from Swizz Beatz myself, and I must admit that before I realised it was a cigar I sort of did think he was high and drinking his own coolaid. The third was fire though IMO.

These tracks are best viewed in the context of being real-time responses to each other (which is why I put them in order, though I think Swizz may have actually been first on some of the rounds in this warmup).

---
ejanuska wrote:
24 Jul 2017
I'm not a racist and did not mention race, yet you assume I am while you use racist epithets like "spades".
That is hypocrisy.
Just to clarify / correct you: I did not use 'spades' as a racial epithet (I wasn't even aware of that use of it).

I actually meant it as short for "a spade is a spade," as in, a thing is exactly what it is, however it wants to present itself so long as it exhibits the properties of a spade.

So let's not get into a debate on race or anything like that and just stick to the music and keep it productive.
Last edited by avasopht on 24 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.

QVprod

24 Jul 2017

To try to avoid a complete derailment here and history repeating itsel ..... for those who aren't very aware of the hiphop genre, (which might very well be the majority of users here) Swiss Beatz and Timbaland are considered legendary beatmakers/producers in the hiphop and R&B genres. A beat battle is basically a competition between two beat makers. While I'll agree the beats in these videos are pretty weak compared to both of their extensive catalogs, keep in mind that the hiphop genre is vocal based so don't expect EDM DJ drops.

Drugs have noting to do with it especially considering there are drug addicts in every genre.

avasopht
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2017

Swizz mentions twice yet his response time was 10 minutes each time. Did they both put these together with a short time limit?

There is very little information on the format.

Gulale

25 Jul 2017

QVprod wrote:
24 Jul 2017
To try to avoid a complete derailment here and history repeating itsel ..... for those who aren't very aware of the hiphop genre, (which might very well be the majority of users here) Swiss Beatz and Timbaland are considered legendary beatmakers/producers in the hiphop and R&B genres. A beat battle is basically a competition between two beat makers. While I'll agree the beats in these videos are pretty weak compared to both of their extensive catalogs, keep in mind that the hiphop genre is vocal based so don't expect EDM DJ drops.

Drugs have noting to do with it especially considering there are drug addicts in every genre.
Nah, While I agree on most of what you said man that Timbaland second one is a hit. Basically it is intro of a song but while he is playing I was thinking what is going to come up to the verse.
Gulale aka Bereket

Gulale

25 Jul 2017

In other aspect, people don't bother about cancer and cigarette and they complain about weed. What about empty calories they have been taking that makes them look like a frog called beer. What about the acid they have been taking called Vodca and whisky, brandy or whatever? Surprisingly what makes it funny and disgusting is that it is official.

I continuously listen country music advertising glorifying whisky. I bet if I open Lee Ann womack she will sing about whisky. I just can't stand people like that so where is that critical mind of yours talking about it? So, in the Hip Hop music they are advertising weed. Country liquor. What I see is they get paid to advertise cause they are in that business as the country music origin are in liquor business.

I would rather take weed than liquor or cigarette. I actually take weed I don't smoke it I drink it and I don't get hype. I take it for meditational purpose. You don't even know if I take weed unless I tell you. I don't take it to sit on the couch. I don't drink liquor or take cigarette. Man governments are crazy they are legalizing cigarette and liquor they ban Ganja.

Don't f****ing go to the race thing as I was growing up until I hit my teen age and I have been listening country music. like Don Williams, Ronnie Milsap so on. And I still f***ing enjoy it. Every music is inspirational and refreshing.

Keep in mind all this opinion is mine. Not anybody's.
Gulale aka Bereket

QVprod

25 Jul 2017

Gulale wrote:
25 Jul 2017

Nah, While I agree on most of what you said man that Timbaland second one is a hit. Basically it is intro of a song but while he is playing I was thinking what is going to come up to the verse.
I wasn't saying the beats were wack per se. The second one was dope, but probably not something I would personally have used for a beat battle.

avasopht
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2017

QVprod wrote:
25 Jul 2017
Gulale wrote:
25 Jul 2017
.. that Timbaland second one is a hit. Basically it is intro of a song but while he is playing I was thinking what is going to come up to the verse.
I wasn't saying the beats were wack per se. The second one was dope, but probably not something I would personally have used for a beat battle.
I agree with what both of you have said.

Really can't want to see the live battle. They're going to be so on their toes if they're going to be coming up with beats on the spot rather than the more DJ like format he had with Just Blaze.

gak

27 Jul 2017

I was asked to weigh in, so, it's all shit.

Let the ban commence!

(where is the picture of the parrot???????? )

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Jul 2017

avasopht wrote:
17 Jul 2017
aeox wrote:
17 Jul 2017
I don't get it
Basically this is these are warmup tracks for the upcoming beat battle between Timbaland and Swizz Beatz.

Here's the previous battle between Swizz Beatz and Just Blaze to give you an idea of how it can go:

It is more like a DJ battle than a beat battle where tracks would have been made up on the spot. There may be new / unreleased material presented.
Alright so I understand what is actually going on but the thing I "don't get" is why making music is some sort of competition in the first place.

If anything I'd say this "beat battle" is more of a publicity thing.

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Jul 2017

aeox wrote:
27 Jul 2017
Alright so I understand what is actually going on but the thing I "don't get" is why making music is some sort of competition in the first place.

If anything I'd say this "beat battle" is more of a publicity thing.
Some people find competing fun and entertaining ;)

For the participants it's exhilarating and for the spectators it's entertaining, exciting and enthralling (yes, every adjective I used to describe the experience begins with E (even experience)).

It's why we have sports and every year hundreds of millions of people all around the globe tune in at the same time to watch the biggest finals - sometimes in sports they don't even watch. Publicity wise it wouldn't make much sense. It's mostly the most hardcore / underground music followers and composers / beatmakers who would be interested in this.

decibel

27 Jul 2017

Timbaland for the win, mans been killing it for decades now and will more then likely still be doing it for the next few decades also ;)

• Information