AI for composing

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Marco Raaphorst

15 Jul 2017

Generate Top 40 Pop Song
Compose a song that is good enough to reach the US Top 40. The system should out- put the complete song as an audio file.

Produce a Song Indistin-guishable from One by a Specific Artist
Produce a song that is indis- tinguishable from a new song by a particular artist, e.g., a song that experienced listen- ers can’t distinguish from a new song by Taylor Swift.

Will happen with 11 years from now! Go read https://arxiv.org/pdf/1705.08807.pdf

demt

15 Jul 2017

Please move to the witchcraft and wizardry threaf
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

jonheal

15 Jul 2017

demt wrote:
15 Jul 2017
Please move to the witchcraft and wizardry threaf
AI? Definitely devil-worship.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

jonheal

15 Jul 2017

Am I the only person in the world who felt humanity die a little when Deep Blue beat Gary Kasparov? And then it die a little more when Watson won at Jeopardy? And then the Go thing ...

The hubris of the upper echelon of programmers is really something. I think they really do consider themselves to be little gods. I KNOW they do. Well, eventually, their creations will decide they don't need a god, and then that will be that.

aeox
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2017

Compose? Maybe. But that's only a fraction of what makes a song good in the first place. There are some things that only a human can do well.

wendylou

16 Jul 2017

Marco is right, AI is rapidly advancing and able to do more and more things extremely well, including composing songs. I recently saw a demonstration of a AI that had taught itself how to paint like the masters of old, learning the nuances of brush strokes and techniques used. The resulting paintings it made were astounding.

The same thing is happening with AI music composition. In one test, AI learned what characteristics are found in top pop songs and was able to do the same and do it very well. Although I personally don't pursue pop music creation, it's interesting that AI can discover the patterns for creating pleasing music.

AI is really starting to do many other remarkable things as well. Many jobs will be lost to AI in the next 10 years. Even medical diagnosis is being performed as well if not better than expert doctors. IBM recently began focusing Watson on medical applications, including diagnosis and cancer research.

As ego shattering as it may be, I would not be surprised to see AI create some real music hits! The future is today :)
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

Marco Raaphorst

16 Jul 2017

We humans think we are smart. But we are not. We are not even that creative.

We are mostly repeating well known patterns over and over again.

jonheal

16 Jul 2017

wendylou wrote:
16 Jul 2017
As ego shattering as it may be, I would not be surprised to see AI create some real music hits! The future is today :)
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
16 Jul 2017

And these things make you happy?

Please pass me the cyanide ...

Marco Raaphorst

16 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
16 Jul 2017
wendylou wrote:
16 Jul 2017
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
16 Jul 2017

And these things make you happy?

Please pass me the cyanide ...
Happy? For sure. We're not gods, we are small creatures. That's perfectly fine for me. The universe is beyond me and I love that. Full of unexpected stuff and new interesting things to discover.

jonheal

16 Jul 2017

I guess this is one of those topics — like the abortion issue — where two seemingly completely rational individuals can observe the same scenario and come away with completely opposite viewpoints.

I certainly don't consider myself to be a god and I, too, am in wonder at the immensity of the Universe. But, as a speck on the canvas of all that is, if my actions and my life as human are essentially inconsequential, then that is very crushing. I don't consider it is a matter of ego; it's the despair of potential insignificance. Likewise, the notion that a machine might eventually duplicate, or improve upon, anything I can accomplish as a human is equally demoralizing.

I recognize that others look at this very same scenario and come away some sort of zen euphoria about it all, but my mind does not work that way.
Last edited by jonheal on 16 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.

jonheal

16 Jul 2017

Sometimes when I get myself all worked up over this ponderous, and for me, disturbing concept, I think how self-awareness is not all it's cracked up to be if it leads to despair. Then I consider the ant and it helps me feel better. And of course I am assuming the ant lacks self-awareness. Anyway the ant ...

I try never to kill ants — even when they are helping themselves to my favorite breakfast cereal. Nothing works harder than the lowly ant. Their time on Earth is short — a few weeks to a few months, and yet they toil ceaselessly for the good of their neighbors for the whole of their lives.

If people behaved a little more like ants, this world would be a pretty nice place in which to live. Unless you were a caterpillar.

Ahornberg

16 Jul 2017

Back to the topic ... here you can try it out (you need to create a login for this site) https://www.jukedeck.com/

e.g. this is AI generated https://www.jukedeck.com/share/2bd78c3f ... 9aaf9d806c

• Information