It seems SoundCloud isn't going to last a lot longer.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
pacorobles

15 Jul 2017

Yes SC updated on the matter. To me, their words are worthless. However, someone else tweeted about supporting SC: Chance the rapper. I believe him.
Best,
Paco
:reason: 9.5

jonheal

15 Jul 2017

Oquasec wrote:
15 Jul 2017
Too much bullshit from soundcloud to care tbh.
Whether or not it shuts down, I will not support it further. :lol:
Support it further? When did you start?

viewtopic.php?p=317118#p317118
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Wickline

15 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
Oquasec wrote:
15 Jul 2017

Hahaha
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

Oquasec

15 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
15 Jul 2017
Oquasec wrote:
15 Jul 2017

Good point lmao
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

jonheal

15 Jul 2017

I'm just busting your chops. :)
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

ejanuska

17 Jul 2017

I'm hoping SC gets bought up by someone else. There is no fucking way the founders are going down without setting themselves up for a real soft landing. They say "we are not selling" but when it comes down to sell or perish, they'll dump the brand in a minute. The employees at the bottom will get laid-off permanently, if they're still there. Nothing new.
They have a lot of users and I'm sure there are plenty of entities out there that would love to gobble SC up.

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2017

I'm fine moving to another solution, but losing all those stats :(

platzangst

23 Jul 2017

avasopht wrote:
23 Jul 2017
I'm fine moving to another solution, but losing all those stats :(
What do the stats do for you?

I'm kind of seriously asking here. Every so often I'll get a message in my email forwarded from SoundCloud that reads something like "Hey Name of Band I really like your Randomly Selected Track! Have you considered buying viewers to come look at and favorite your stuff? I really like Probable Scam Service, etc etc.," and I just wonder if that actually has any measurable impact in a practical sense, like getting record contracts or, well, anything.

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2017

platzangst wrote:
23 Jul 2017

I'm kind of seriously asking here. Every so often I'll get a message in my email forwarded from SoundCloud that reads something like "Hey Name of Band I really like your Randomly Selected Track! Have you considered buying viewers to come look at and favorite your stuff? I really like Probable Scam Service, etc etc.," and I just wonder if that actually has any measurable impact in a practical sense, like getting record contracts or, well, anything.
If you are getting lots of real views and favourites it does mean you have cultivated value that can be used practically to promote your album and live shows.

I think the critical mass threshold for soundcloud is something like 10,000. If you can reach 10,000 you have a strong case for a publishing contract.

For me though it's just that an instrumental remake I put up there consistently doubles in views and hearts every year and I really just wanted to see how long this could continue for. The constant doubling rate is due to its virality indicating that for every person who likes the track, two of their friends will also like it within 14 or so months.

With the current rate of growth it should reach a critical mass in 6-7 years and 1 million hearts after 13 year's. By the time I'm 50 I'll probably have to invest in disguises for my future children so they don't get hounded by the press for being the son or mr 100 million favorites :D :cool:

There is a saturation point at which all the people who would like it have been reached and the growth stops.

Oquasec

23 Jul 2017

Soundcloud was ruined by alllll that, wouldn't be surprised if it went under, but I've stopped supporting it ages ago lmao.
Good luck to anybody who actually paid for pro
Producer/Programmer.

Wickline

23 Jul 2017

I was thinking about going for pro not too long ago. Now thinking I'm gonna hold off until things settle and either Soundcloud gets its shit together or somebody else's site takes over the scene.

gak

24 Jul 2017

platzangst wrote:
23 Jul 2017

OMG! Did you really just ask that? 99% of entertainment is based on those stats. Really, I have no idea what planet I'm living on anymore.

Water is not wet, being glued to texting instead of driving is good, cigarettes are health (as long as you are a vegan) and trump is going to make murica great again.

Man, it's too hard for me.

platzangst

24 Jul 2017

gak wrote:
24 Jul 2017
OMG! Did you really just ask that?
Yes, yes, not everyone can be as cool or savvy as gak. Spare me the fake shockeroo.

musicman

27 Jul 2017

I wish I had seen the post sooner!

I signed up to Soundcloud yesterday and went straight for Pro :lol: :roll:

Just signed up to Bandcamp now and considering https://hearthis.at/ too

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

27 Jul 2017

Thinking about this the other day, while the site redesign was and still is bleedin' awful, the point when SoundCloud really screwed artists was when they pulled support for site streaming from Facebook et al.

I get that it was a sop to the legal threats they were getting from the Majors, because of wannabe DJ's uploading hours of premixes of copyright material, but it was a hammer blow to the social aspect of the site for content creators, that they've never recovered from. There must have been a better solution than simply killing streaming.

selig
RE Developer

28 Jul 2017

Maybe it's back from the brink (thanks to Chance the Rapper):
http://www.hiphopdx.com/news/id.44063/t ... uds-savior#
Selig Audio, LLC

raymondh

28 Jul 2017

musicman wrote:
27 Jul 2017
I wish I had seen the post sooner!

I signed up to Soundcloud yesterday and went straight for Pro :lol: :roll:

Just signed up to Bandcamp now and considering https://hearthis.at/ too
Hey, I wouldn't worry - folks have been speculating about the imminent demise of Soundcloud for over a year now!

I renewed my subscription. I do expect the platform to change somehow, or change of ownership, or something, but for now I'm happy with it.

raymondh

28 Jul 2017

selig wrote:
28 Jul 2017
Maybe it's back from the brink (thanks to Chance the Rapper):
http://www.hiphopdx.com/news/id.44063/t ... uds-savior#
... and then I see this haha - Thanks Giles! They even used the words "imminent demise" haha.
This could all be marketing fluff of course without knowing the details - It may be that the "Soundcloud isn't going away" message was being touted before the meeting, but it has a higher impact to call it out now. Will be interesting to know!

I do wonder why Soundcloud has had these financial issues when the likes of Bandcamp, Reverbnation and others seem to be doing ok. A lot of criticism on this forum about Soundcloud sound quality, change in the product like removing groups (which frustrated me too), and the evolution from indie community to promoting commercial artists. These companies all have to make money somehow, so wonder where they have apparently gone wrong vs their competitors? All I can see from the surface is it appears (to me) that Soundcloud have been poor at cost control, with overhiring of big teams and lavish offices in expensive locations. Takes a lot of subscriptions to pay for all that.

gak

29 Jul 2017

I hate chance the rapper, and his stupid tv commercials :lol:

Honestly, let it die, like poppy.

selig
RE Developer

29 Jul 2017

gak wrote:I hate chance the rapper, and his stupid tv commercials :lol:

As long as we're being honest…
There's a lot of stuff I hate, but I certainly don't waste my time (and other folks time) assuming ANYONE else gives a rats ass what I hate.

I suggest letting your 'hate' die, at least the desire to share it here. Free yourself from your hate - you'll be happier (assuming that's important to you) and so will we!
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

AttenuationHz

29 Jul 2017

gak wrote:
29 Jul 2017
I hate chance the rapper, and his stupid tv commercials :lol:

Its much easier to find stuff you like and focus on that. Sure you have to roll through some amount of shit to get to the little things in life that make you happy but the shit is just extra baggage you pick up along the way you don't need it! If it has no positive meaning let go of it. Its just extra weight slowing you down. There is nothing you or I can do about poppy but we have a choice to ignore the batch!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Oquasec

29 Jul 2017

I find some sites perform [and run] better than soundcloud.
Way less bugs
Producer/Programmer.

Wickline

29 Jul 2017

Oquasec wrote:I find some sites perform [and run] better than soundcloud.
Way less bugs
Such as?????
Seriously what have you found?

Oquasec

29 Jul 2017

Anything
Producer/Programmer.

Wickline

29 Jul 2017