It seems SoundCloud isn't going to last a lot longer.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
jonheal

29 Jul 2017

gak wrote:
29 Jul 2017
I hate chance the rapper, and his stupid tv commercials :lol:

Honestly, let it die, like poppy.
Gak, you seem to be boiling with anger lately. Maybe it would help to share what's going on that is making life so miserable. I would be willing to listen. I'm not sure I can help, but I would listen.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

robthompson

29 Jul 2017

All businesses change over time (or die anyway). The question facing the owners is: 'How do you hang on to your regulars yet manage to attract new blood - with the same product?' SoundCloud flunked the test.

To be somewhat fair to them, there was a need to tighten up the copyright thing. I believe firmly that creators should to be paid for their work, and 'But I was only....' isn't a good enough reason to use someone else's stuff in a public environment without at least seeking their consent. However, SC flunked that test too, creating a raft of subscription options which are all remarkably unattractive.

I recently dropped from 'Pro' to 'Free'. I announced this on my page, and apologised to visitors for the inconvenience to them. I also wrote to SC, telling them exactly why I'd done so, and that I'd be using YouTube for my audio work in future - if nothing else, it'll mean I can have pretty moving pictures accompany the uploads!

Also, SoundCloud's Android/iOS app is complete garbage.

I've looked at the alternatives suggested by other folks, but found nothing which isn't heavily slanted to the band/DJ creators. I'm looking at Audioboom at the moment (https://audioboom.com/).

AttenuationHz

29 Jul 2017

robthompson wrote:
29 Jul 2017
All businesses change over time (or die anyway). The question facing the owners is: 'How do you hang on to your regulars yet manage to attract new blood - with the same product?' SoundCloud flunked the test.

To be somewhat fair to them, there was a need to tighten up the copyright thing. I believe firmly that creators should to be paid for their work, and 'But I was only....' isn't a good enough reason to use someone else's stuff in a public environment without at least seeking their consent. However, SC flunked that test too, creating a raft of subscription options which are all remarkably unattractive.

I recently dropped from 'Pro' to 'Free'. I announced this on my page, and apologised to visitors for the inconvenience to them. I also wrote to SC, telling them exactly why I'd done so, and that I'd be using YouTube for my audio work in future - if nothing else, it'll mean I can have pretty moving pictures accompany the uploads!

Also, SoundCloud's Android/iOS app is complete garbage.

I've looked at the alternatives suggested by other folks, but found nothing which isn't heavily slanted to the band/DJ creators. I'm looking at Audioboom at the moment (https://audioboom.com/).
Its not one of those channels that attracts viewers to mixes with the promise of beautiful half naked women as an incentive while claiming to be the best Techno mix on the interwebs. Is It?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

jonheal

29 Jul 2017

I guess I am the only person who doesn't have a giant problem with SoundCloud. Is it worth the the $4.71 I am paying them every month? I don't know. I like checking my stats and seeing the one play per 1 to 2 weeks. :)
Last edited by jonheal on 29 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.

AttenuationHz

29 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
29 Jul 2017
I guess I am the only person who doesn't have a giant problem with SoundCloud. Is it work the the $4.71 I am paying them every month? I don't know. I like checking my stats and seeing the one play per 1 to 2 weeks. :)

No sub never planned on getting one myself!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

avasopht
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
29 Jul 2017
No sub never planned on getting one myself!
Pro account also allows you to modify your song and retain all comments, likes and stats.

raymondh

29 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
29 Jul 2017
I guess I am the only person who doesn't have a giant problem with SoundCloud. Is it work the the $4.71 I am paying them every month? I don't know. I like checking my stats and seeing the one play per 1 to 2 weeks. :)
Me too.

In fact I really want Soundcloud to succeed because it has been a big part of where I am at musically. Soundcloud is where I met my virtual bandmate Carl (Some Desperate Glory) for our Pacific Deep project, as well as the platform to collaborate with a bunch of other great people too (some who I met on the PUF first) - Lunesis, GEM, Emian, Stereospread, Joumb, Synthpopalooza, RoutineZero, A Million Tiny Archtects, Nova Pulsar,...
Collaboration really helped me learn, improve and focus and is such great fun. Soundcloud, along with the forum, email and Dropbox :) provided the perfect platform.

And as much as we don't like to admit it, there's nothing like "Likes", shares and feedback to encourage us. Music making is less fun in a vacuum. I was lucky enough to be randomly selected (I assume!!) as Soundclouder Of The Day once. Good promo and woke up one morning to my phone beeping with 1500 likes on one track in about 8 hours! I don't know if they still run that initiative, but gosh it was motivating at the time!

I guess this is the whole 'community' feel of Soundcloud that people are concerned about. I think it still exists though, even with the commercial stuff.

gak

01 Aug 2017

jonheal wrote:
29 Jul 2017
gak wrote:
29 Jul 2017
I hate chance the rapper, and his stupid tv commercials :lol:

Honestly, let it die, like poppy.
Gak, you seem to be boiling with anger lately. Maybe it would help to share what's going on that is making life so miserable. I would be willing to listen. I'm not sure I can help, but I would listen.
Dude......................seriously. It's NOT that serious. In honestly thought that people would appreciate the TNC humor, clearly no. I'm sad about that.

gak

01 Aug 2017

My only real problem with soundcloud is that it's not good sounding. The format is teh awesomes! Sorry people misunderstood, I thought ya'awl knew me be now :(

Oquasec

01 Aug 2017

Yawn. Soundcloud is where you put wips & unfinished crap. It would do more good than harm, having THAT site destroyed. :lol:
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Wickline

01 Aug 2017

I don't understand posting wips out there. I keep that shit in my Dropbox and only send the links to friends for advice or people involved in the project.
IMO people that have heard the wip are less likely to go listen to the finished song. In their mind, they've already heard it and the wip might not have been good enough to warrant listening again.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2017

Wickline wrote:
01 Aug 2017
I don't understand posting wips out there. I keep that shit in my Dropbox and only send the links to friends for advice or people involved in the project.
IMO people that have heard the wip are less likely to go listen to the finished song. In their mind, they've already heard it and the wip might not have been good enough to warrant listening again.
"Everything is a work in progress" - some guy, some time BCE

jonheal

01 Aug 2017

gak wrote:
01 Aug 2017
jonheal wrote:
29 Jul 2017

Dude......................seriously. It's NOT that serious. In honestly thought that people would appreciate the TNC humor, clearly no. I'm sad about that.
OK. :puf_smile:

gak

02 Aug 2017

However, I'm disappointed in soundcloud. I personally can hear a diff.

What would be cool is if there was a service that allowed "whatever" and they charged (within reason of course) accordingly.

Frankly, I still have "dropbox" but people automatically assume it's download as opposed to listen.

Allahoopla is BS because people ADD ON to your posting. Or at least that's how it was. Bitter about that, and that is reasonable to me.

raymondh

02 Aug 2017

gak wrote:
02 Aug 2017
However, I'm disappointed in soundcloud. I personally can hear a diff.

What would be cool is if there was a service that allowed "whatever" and they charged (within reason of course) accordingly.

Frankly, I still have "dropbox" but people automatically assume it's download as opposed to listen.

Allahoopla is BS because people ADD ON to your posting. Or at least that's how it was. Bitter about that, and that is reasonable to me.
I don't get the Allihoopa model at all. I guess it could be an educational tool through all the (huge learning) benefits of collaborating, but otherwise it seems to be a scattergun way of giving away your IP (intellectual property) / art. Anyone feel otherwise?

Wickline

02 Aug 2017

avasopht wrote:
Wickline wrote:
01 Aug 2017
"Everything is a work in progress" - some guy, some time BCE
Truuuuue....
Lol
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

ejanuska

16 Aug 2017

As expected soundcloud has been kept alive and top management replaced. It's not going anywhere for now.
http://fortune.com/2017/08/16/soundclou ... anagement/

What else is there? Bandcamp? If its so great why don't I ever see bandcamp links here? There really isn't anything else like it with a large user base.

• Information