So what's holding us back musically?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
deepndark

20 Jun 2017

Pre-critisism? Unlocking yourself and going crazy would help propably. Also some of the audience seems to put up some kind of traps all the time? And we should remain being original and true to our own taste? > Hope I find my musical biorhythm once again.

Gorgon

20 Jun 2017

Lack of focus and distraction, for me personally.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

deepndark

20 Jun 2017

Gorgon wrote:
20 Jun 2017
Lack of focus and distraction, for me personally.
Yup. I feel like I don't do as much for my music as I used to. And as time should eventually make me better, I don't feel that that much at all. Anyway, i'm listening some dnb right now and that seems a good choice to make me wanna try more. Should I also say that too much balance psychologically is a big no no.

Dabbler

20 Jun 2017

No time for this.

motuscott

20 Jun 2017

My parents never bought me that pony I so needed as a 5 year old.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

selig
RE Developer

20 Jun 2017

For me it's facing the daunting task of the 'blank page'. There's likely a fair bit of pre critisism going on as well, which I can often (but not always) ignore. I sometimes find myself wishing I can skip the hard parts and get straight to the good - could be a lack of ability for delayed gratification at work there.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Oquasec

20 Jun 2017

Decided to dig into piano some more since I feel like everything else is covered electronica-wise.
Music theory is something else :lol:
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

AttenuationHz

20 Jun 2017

The fear of having another ham sandwich with a surprise mustardy spread. Sets of a ridicules gag reflex just thinking about it.

It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

ejanuska

21 Jun 2017

Try something different, out of your comfort zone. Bring back to wonder of just making something sound good without the specter of attempting technical perfection.

jonheal

21 Jun 2017

A profound lack of talent and/or skill.

Otherwise, I am doing OK.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Marco Raaphorst

21 Jun 2017

Stop thinking, start doing.

chk071

21 Jun 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
21 Jun 2017
It's more like "Stop thinking about the wrong things" for me.
:reason: :rebirth:

selig
RE Developer

21 Jun 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
21 Jun 2017
+1
I've never made music by "thinking", at least not music I could listen to!
Selig Audio, LLC

deepndark

21 Jun 2017

I would make this version out of this: "Stop thinking go for the challenge/adventure".

demt

22 Jun 2017

id say the impossibility of learning the skill of criteque to please the musician upon posting a song every song deserves 20 in feedback not 1 or 2 the lack of feedback sucks and drains the composer

criteque is a real skill pros get paid a fortune to put a few words together to promote a band without repeating themselves

deserves a forum of its own!
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2017

Trying to sound like something, or appeal to a specific crowd. Sometimes it's a good thing but it can easily grind the creative process to a halt.

Marco Raaphorst

23 Jun 2017

Keep in mind that you are simply creating/making something. So you need time to make it, not different from baking a bread or fixing a car. You can set limits which might help. Or think about a certain end result.

Exowildebeest

23 Jun 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
21 Jun 2017

When I force myself to make music, without having a clear 'landscape' in mind, it results in soulless, cookiecutter stuff that I don't like. This is a direct consequence of not enough thinking about what 'landscape' I want to conjure up, or in other words what story I want to tell through sound. Only when I keep thinking and focusing before I'm doing and while I'm doing, can I make music that I'm happy about.

So in my case, what's holding me back at times is the inability to retain focused creative thinking - and subsequently wasting time on a soulless piece that'll be discarded once I realize I've lost or never had a clear picture of what I wanted to do.

Marco Raaphorst

23 Jun 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
23 Jun 2017
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
21 Jun 2017

When I force myself to make music, without having a clear 'landscape' in mind, it results in soulless, cookiecutter stuff that I don't like. This is a direct consequence of not enough thinking about what 'landscape' I want to conjure up, or in other words what story I want to tell through sound. Only when I keep thinking and focusing before I'm doing and while I'm doing, can I make music that I'm happy about.

So in my case, what's holding me back at times is the inability to retain focused creative thinking - and subsequently wasting time on a soulless piece that'll be discarded once I realize I've lost or never had a clear picture of what I wanted to do.
Do you have a clear picture in your head, do you know exactly where you are going for?

I can set certain limitations, one of them is the outcome, certain sound I want to achieve, instruments used etc. But when doing I must first play "getting lost" and then think.

Exowildebeest

23 Jun 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
23 Jun 2017
Exowildebeest wrote:
23 Jun 2017
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
21 Jun 2017

Do you have a clear picture in your head, do you know exactly where you are going for?

In a sense, yes. I need to have something to tell. Of course, along the way, the picture may change and adapt and new things may be discovered - it's fluid, as they say :)

Marco Raaphorst

23 Jun 2017

Interesting. I am not sure what you mean with telling. I only want music to give a certain feeling. I don't have a message. No thinking for me I guess.

Exowildebeest

23 Jun 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
23 Jun 2017
Interesting. I am not sure what you mean with telling. I only want music to give a certain feeling. I don't have a message. No thinking for me I guess.
I mean telling something figuratively - painting a landscape is an analogy I much rather use :)

And I don't want to say there's no room for experimenting and just messing about - plenty of my ideas have been born that way. But when I start sequencing a full track, clear intentions are needed for me :)

Exowildebeest

23 Jun 2017

It also helps guide me when I already have a track title in mind. If the title is Cute Fluffy Penguin, the sound should give the feeling of a cute fluffy penguin. But along the way, the sound may change and I'll end up calling it Evil Fluffy Penguin or Cute Fluffy Kitten.

modecca

23 Jun 2017

Being close minded and not open to many ways to being inspired:

As the current google theme (Oskar Fischinger’s 117th Birthday) reminds us music exists in the visual domain as well.
The new gear motivates with its aesthetic value, but so can pictures(and they don't cost a thing!).
jean-francoisrauzier028.jpg
jean-francoisrauzier028.jpg (190.87 KiB) Viewed 2263 times
Last edited by modecca on 24 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.
🔗💥

4filegate

23 Jun 2017

It's a filling in of the blind spot or reach as scotoma - Either they may be filled in by brain activity, or simply ignored.

• Information