So what's holding us back musically?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
aeox
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2017

self-criticism.

gak

24 Jun 2017

For me it's pain. Take that away and I'd be a hip producer.

Well, maybe not, but I'd do a lot more.

siln

27 Jun 2017

trying to modulate my emotions and making patches out of my meta-programs, just a bit learning curve on the cv wires

CYSYS8993

30 Jun 2017

Musician's blocks and the fear that my works aren't good enough.

Ahornberg

30 Jun 2017

Bad habits. For me changing my habits is the answer.

Creativemind

30 Jun 2017

For me it's lack of musicianship. I've recently had a song, which I recorded on my phone using guitar and then decided I wanted it a bit slower and done on piano with more feeling (either normal or Rhodes, haven't decided yet :-)) and because I can't play piano but can work out the chords, what's happening now is (whilst recording it into Reason) a) I'm not getting the feel I want, trying to make it sound emotional I suppose and b) I don't know how to put the little intricacies into the chords (notes in between for instance) to flavour it up.

Also, from a production point of view, in my house tracks, I can never get my drums to just sound pumping and decent and drive the song along like I hear in the tracks I aspire to.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Marco Raaphorst

30 Jun 2017

I know a guy who never was able to find the right bassdrum sound. The rest was perfect in his ears/eyes.

siln

30 Jun 2017

would like a home studio in a desert equipped with a fonktion one sound system

Aosta

30 Jun 2017

This forum?
:lol: jus kiddin.
Probably self confidence and belief more than anything.
It would be ideal if a musician didn't have the ability to hear their own creations like a certain famous one. Then they would just make music all day without their worst critic tearing it to shreds :lol:
Tend the flame

modecca

30 Jun 2017

Aosta wrote:
30 Jun 2017
This forum?
:lol: jus kiddin.
Probably self confidence and belief more than anything.
It would be ideal if a musician didn't have the ability to hear their own creations like a certain famous one. Then they would just make music all day without their worst critic tearing it to shreds :lol:
Yes our ears are holding us back.
You think by now there would be a fad going on with people making stuff in reason for example, with the volume bar set to zero.
🔗💥

Data_Shrine

01 Jul 2017

musical ability reaching it's peak (or take lessons, and practice more..)
I,ve been stuck with making this solo "concept" album for years, i end up rejecting the majority of the tracks i'm making and I think I'll never finish it. It just blows.

I should get back to video games as a way to ignore all the problems in my life.

Zac

01 Jul 2017

Data_Shrine wrote:
01 Jul 2017
I,ve been stuck with making this solo "concept" album for years, i end up rejecting the majority of the tracks i'm making and I think I'll never finish it. It just blows.

I should get back to video games as a way to ignore all the problems in my life.
Maybe you could finish pieces and put the album together as a beta. Then as you make pieces you prefer, replace the weaker beta ones? One day maybe you'll be happy enough with the album to drop the beta tag?

gak

02 Jul 2017

Aosta wrote:
30 Jun 2017
KVR/Gear Slutz?
I had to fix that for you.

CaliforniaBurrito

04 Jul 2017

Lack of focus holds me back. I'm starting to think I have adult attention deficit disorder. I have certain goals with music, a good idea of what my stylistic sound should be, a list of labels here on my desktop that I aim to submit to and plenty of time to invest. My problem is that I get distracted like one day I want to sample some random stuff out of amusement or another day I'll be collaborating. I don't know why there is so much resistance to doing what I'd ultimately like to do. Well at least I'm putting in the hours for creative experience in general.

gak

04 Jul 2017

EVERYONE has adult ADD. :lol:

Ostermilk

04 Jul 2017

Well I'm gonna run counter to the general consensus of the thread and say for me currently nothing is holding me back musically.

It's a fairly rare state for me to be in granted but it seems like a good opportunity to celebrate the occasion.

I've just finished a pilot project involving singing to improve breathing for people with pulmonary difficulties which has been a really positive and uplifting thing for the 60 or so people that got invovled in it for the last 3 months.

I'm enjoying noodling with my DAW related stuff just for the sake of it and even feeling inspired enough to put a few tunes together. I'm even enjoying things I normally hate to do with the more technical aspects of music production.

Last but not least I'm actually enjoying listening to music again after a long period of just hearing the television blaring away to itself.

Here's the kicker though, I'm not sure if it's because my attitude has changed and that's making me feel more inspired just now or whether it's because I'm feeling inspired that my attitude toward music has changed.

Nah, I'm not going to dwell on that part too much I'm just going to enjoy the current 'weather' while the going is good!

Oquasec

04 Jul 2017

Aspergers & add, diagnosed in my teens in 2013.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Gorgon

05 Jul 2017

I've also found that not being able to do something quickly is a surefire thing to get me so frustrated that I just Alt-F4 and go do something else. This is changing now that I'm using other things besides Reason (or a DAW). I've gotten my Roland DJ70 MK2 sampler to work and now I can just quickly grab samples and play them, which inspires me a lot more than messing about with samples in Reason (either in one of the samplers or in an audio track).
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Aosta

05 Jul 2017

modecca wrote:
30 Jun 2017

You think by now there would be a fad going on with people making stuff in reason for example, with the volume bar set to zero.
:lol:
Maybe it's something worth trying?
Create a track only using reason visually, I mean most of us know how to create patterns and what notes look like in the sequencer window.
I wonder how different the track and the creation in our heads would sound like? We may well be pleasantly surprised.
People created songs with a pen, quill and only their vocal chords for centuries.
Tend the flame

Ostermilk

05 Jul 2017

Aosta wrote:
05 Jul 2017
modecca wrote:
30 Jun 2017

:lol:
Maybe it's something worth trying?
Create a track only using reason visually, I mean most of us know how to create patterns and what notes look like in the sequencer window.
I wonder how different the track and the creation in our heads would sound like? We may well be pleasantly surprised.
People created songs with a pen, quill and only their vocal chords for centuries.
Any recommendations on a good quill that doesn't influence the sound too much?

stratatonic

05 Jul 2017

Addiction(s)

Data_Shrine

14 Jul 2017

Zac wrote:
01 Jul 2017
Data_Shrine wrote:
01 Jul 2017

Maybe you could finish pieces and put the album together as a beta. Then as you make pieces you prefer, replace the weaker beta ones? One day maybe you'll be happy enough with the album to drop the beta tag?
Yup I think that's the only way I'll ever be able to finish it and move on.

motuscott

14 Jul 2017

I found this quote inspiring:
“Whenever I’m blocked … I lower my standards. Correction, I do my best to not have any standards at all. I abandon my standards. I urge myself to write badly, and once I do that my fingers begin to fly, and the inner critic is powerless.”
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

motuscott

14 Jul 2017

[/quote]

Any recommendations on a good quill that doesn't influence the sound too much?
[/quote]
GM makes a nice one
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

• Information