Amazing small story...

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
plaamook

19 Jun 2017

So I was diving off the Dorset coast (south west england) yesterday and a really little amazing thing happened.

I surfaced about 200m off the beach near durdle door and was waiting to be spotted by the dive boat for a pick up when I spotted a honey bee who had just fallen into the sea. She was flappinmg away there about 200m out as I said. For a bee, middle of nowhere. So, I got her onto my finger and let her dry in the breeze, and she flew off. Just like that.

But I was really struck by the mad coincidense that I would surface right there just in time to save the little thing's life. What are the chances. Yeah, I'm sure she just flew off and died somewhere else but for a moment amidst the huge chaos of the universe (and not so chaos) a kind of miricle happened and I was just really happy to be part of it. She, I'm guessing, could have no idea of my intention to help or the happiness it brought me to do so.

Sorry if this is a bit mamby pamby but for whatever reason I was really effected by this. Maybe cause I wish I had a divers finger to purch on now and then.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

jonheal

19 Jun 2017

Awesome. And I mean that is total seriousness.

Nothing jangles my nerves more than the sound of a fly flying by my head. I hate that sound. Nevetheless, when I can, I capture them and take them outside and release them rather than squashing them.

I scream at my wife when she poisons the ants that make their way into our house. NOTHING works harder than an ant! Their little lives are nothing but work. Do not kill ants!!
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Last Alternative

19 Jun 2017

That is a cool story. I love stuff like that. You gave assistance to the universe and could've caused a ripple in life for the best. Who knows. Maybe God or the "infinite intelligence", if you will, placed you two together, testing you to see if you'd do the right thing.
I feel guilty for killing centipedes and roaches and ants that get too close to the house and mice that do get in but then I also don't feel guilty because you gotta protect yourself. But then I can happily coexist with harmless spiders inside because they're the good guys eating the bugs you don't want in your house. It's all pretty hypocritical actually; like how we slaughter and eat certain animals and value others.
Anyway, I'm rambling. Cool story, bro.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

motuscott

20 Jun 2017

Not mamby pamby, manly pamby.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Dabbler

20 Jun 2017

I pick up worms, who for no known reason, insist on worming their way across hot concrete, and lay them in moist soil.

Exowildebeest

20 Jun 2017

Beautiful experience :)

Of course, who knows if you just saved the next bee-Hitler :D

plaamook

20 Jun 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
20 Jun 2017
Beautiful experience :)

Of course, who knows if you just saved the next bee-Hitler :D
As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

PSoames

20 Jun 2017

plaamook wrote:
19 Jun 2017
So I was diving off the Dorset coast (south west england) yesterday and a really little amazing thing happened.

I surfaced about 200m off the beach near durdle door and was waiting to be spotted by the dive boat for a pick up when I spotted a honey bee who had just fallen into the sea. She was flappinmg away there about 200m out as I said. For a bee, middle of nowhere. So, I got her onto my finger and let her dry in the breeze, and she flew off. Just like that.

But I was really struck by the mad coincidense that I would surface right there just in time to save the little thing's life. What are the chances. Yeah, I'm sure she just flew off and died somewhere else but for a moment amidst the huge chaos of the universe (and not so chaos) a kind of miricle happened and I was just really happy to be part of it. She, I'm guessing, could have no idea of my intention to help or the happiness it brought me to do so.

Sorry if this is a bit mamby pamby but for whatever reason I was really effected by this. Maybe cause I wish I had a divers finger to purch on now and then.
"In an infinite universe, anything possible, no matter how improbable, will probably happen".

You were at one of those junctures. A rare moment. That it wasn't lost on you, makes it all the more special.

ejanuska

21 Jun 2017

When my daughter was a teen I saw her pick up a bee that looked nearly dead. She poured a tiny bit of water into her hand for the thirsty, dying bee to drink. It drank up and a minute later flew away.

It was quite a moving site.

She also has an uncanny ability to convince butterflys and dragonflies to land on her finger.

• Information