Forum update news!

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Exowildebeest

17 Jun 2017

joeyluck wrote:
17 Jun 2017
Just noticed that on mobile (Android), when browsing New Posts, it shows which forum. When browsing on desktop, it does not.
Annoying.

So much empty space to fill with useful information.

joeyluck

19 Jun 2017

jam-s wrote:
16 Jun 2017
In general I think the new look is OK, but I'm missing one thing from the old theme when browsing the "new posts":

Before, the forum a post was made in got shown as well. Now there's only the title of thread and the account shown in the first block. Knowing which forum a new post has been made in is quite useful to me, as I tend only skim over some fora. Would be great if this information could be added back in.
I see this has been fixed. Kenni is on it. Thanks, Kenni! :puf_smile:

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2017

One question, what does it cost to run this site?

I'm sure enough people would be willing to put down at least a dollar per month to pay the way if given a nice and easy option.

Kenni
Site Admin

19 Jun 2017

avasopht wrote:One question, what does it cost to run this site?

I'm sure enough people would be willing to put down at least a dollar per month to pay the way if given a nice and easy option.
With the addition of the Tapatalk subscription, it's $75 a month.

Sendt fra min SM-G950F med Tapatalk

Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2017

Kenni wrote:
19 Jun 2017
With the addition of the Tapatalk subscription, it's $75 a month.

Sendt fra min SM-G950F med Tapatalk
And you mentioned there is a lot of traffic from unregistered viewers? which I imagine would make up the bulk of future ad revenue?

esselfortium

19 Jun 2017

This looks better and more usable, thank you! One other thing I've noticed is that the emoticons all have very visible artifacting around their edges when using the dark theme, since they've been antialiased for a bright background. The dark theme could also use some higher-contrast text, I think.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

selig
RE Developer

19 Jun 2017

esselfortium wrote:
19 Jun 2017
This looks better and more usable, thank you! One other thing I've noticed is that the emoticons all have very visible artifacting around their edges when using the dark theme, since they've been antialiased for a bright background. The dark theme could also use some higher-contrast text, I think.
I agree, was just going to suggest the higher contrast text for the dark theme.
I found this today, which should help:
http://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/
Selig Audio, LLC

Kenni
Site Admin

19 Jun 2017

avasopht wrote:
19 Jun 2017
And you mentioned there is a lot of traffic from unregistered viewers? which I imagine would make up the bulk of future ad revenue?
I wouldn't say that! Here's a bit of stats.

For the past month we've had 500k filtered pageviews. Out of those, 67% are returning visitors. The returning visitors stay here for an average of 8m34s, while the new users stay here for 2m34s.

90% of the returning visitors are spread over an average of 1980 registered forum users that account for about 62k logins. The last 10% are people without user accounts but keeps returning. All the new visitors are people who just come to search for solutions (they use the search function mainly or come from google searches), but they do stay here for quite a while (two and half minute in average is a fairly high amount of time in web world). Some convert to users, and some don't, but naturally, they do add to the ad views.

The visitor-to-ad conversion can roughly be divided into 67/33 segments.

The TL;DR version is that our returning visitors accounts for 2/3rds of the ad revenue :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Kenni
Site Admin

19 Jun 2017

esselfortium wrote:
19 Jun 2017
Yes, I agree - The dark theme needs some TLC as well!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2017

Kenni wrote:
19 Jun 2017
I wouldn't say that! Here's a bit of stats.

For the past month we've had 500k filtered pageviews. Out of those, 67% are returning visitors. The returning visitors stay here for an average of 8m34s, while the new users stay here for 2m34s.

90% of the returning visitors are spread over an average of 1980 registered forum users that account for about 62k logins. The last 10% are people without user accounts but keeps returning. All the new visitors are people who just come to search for solutions (they use the search function mainly or come from google searches), but they do stay here for quite a while (two and half minute in average is a fairly high amount of time in web world). Some convert to users, and some don't, but naturally, they do add to the ad views.

The visitor-to-ad conversion can roughly be divided into 67/33 segments.

The TL;DR version is that our returning visitors accounts for 2/3rds of the ad revenue :)
Aah. I was wondering how feasible it would be for subscription to donations from a core set of users to fund the site.

I'm not too bothered about ads personally, but I can see a few are. It might be more a matter of execution than anything. Whether it "feels" obtrusive or not can make all the difference, as I am sure you know. I just feel the type of audience we have might be more willing given the voluntary nature of the forum / site and its role in keeping the community going.

wendylou

19 Jun 2017

Looks nice, Kenni. Clean, modern, pro.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

jam-s

24 Jun 2017

joeyluck wrote:
19 Jun 2017
jam-s wrote:
16 Jun 2017
In general I think the new look is OK, but I'm missing one thing from the old theme when browsing the "new posts":

Before, the forum a post was made in got shown as well. Now there's only the title of thread and the account shown in the first block. Knowing which forum a new post has been made in is quite useful to me, as I tend only skim over some fora. Would be great if this information could be added back in.
I see this has been fixed. Kenni is on it. Thanks, Kenni! :puf_smile:
F*kingGreat, big thanks and props to all involved in running reasontalk. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

• Information