DJ Khaled on Beatmakers and producers

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
avasopht
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2017

He's someone who influenced my sound and approach in the 00's when I was introduced to Big Pun and Fat Joe in college.

He's also known as beatnovacane.

pLv2

07 Jun 2017

I love his energy. Some folks might think he has too much ego but his work really is dope. I used to listen to his artists back in the day when I started in hip hop. Nowadays the kids play one note piano beats that literally sound retarded.

gak

08 Jun 2017

Ok, so I went an had a listen.

Justin boober hun? Wow. Respect?

No, know what I'm sayin?

And the yoodly autotune again, eh? Christ, it's amazing people are still "producing" with that.

BTW, I'm not in this for the dope money, I want to listen to music. That is the same cookie-cutter stuff that has made a mockery of the "producers" out there. I know kids need to keep off my lawn, but I really really don't understand how a bunch of stuff that is IDENTICAL is considered great music making these days.

Oh, well, the rantings of an old man. Sorry to bum you, but I hate that crap.

Gorgon

08 Jun 2017

The guy seems a bit full of himself. Comparing himself to Quincy Jones? Really?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2017

Gorgon wrote:The guy seems a bit full of himself. Comparing himself to Quincy Jones? Really?
When did he do this?

The interviewer mentioned Quincy, Khaled responded by describing the difference between a producer and a beatmaker.

Unless I missed something.

siln

08 Jun 2017

dj khaled about knowing your limits : "we cant play our health"

edit: but be aware : your wife wants to fuck with him if your his ennemy , but if you re his friend , well idk :roll:
:D

gak

09 Jun 2017

Yeah, I don't understand these guys.

All of them are a cliché of a cliché, but we're supposed to worship them? Sorry, no.

And @ the comments being negative/ruining the thread. I beg to differ. I feel people should stop being parrots and start looking at music w/o the stereotypical nonsense. Not that you can't like rap, hip hop, etc, but this guy is FAR from original.

He's the fucking flavor of the month in these circles.

QVprod

09 Jun 2017

gak wrote:Yeah, I don't understand these guys.

All of them are a cliché of a cliché, but we're supposed to worship them? Sorry, no.

And @ the comments being negative/ruining the thread. I beg to differ. I feel people should stop being parrots and start looking at music w/o the stereotypical nonsense. Not that you can't like rap, hip hop, etc, but this guy is FAR from original.

I think you're missing the point of the video. Whether or not you like the stuff he's produced is pretty irrelevant to the point he makes in the video. Simply explains the difference between a beat maker and a producer.

Besides, he's had quite a successful career in hiphop, Definitely qualified to speak on the topic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Khaled

Galaxy

09 Jun 2017

George Martin was a producer. A lot of these dudes are just beatmakers with huge egos, I agree. Some are true composers and visionaries but most just make crap. Calling a true composer/producer a beatmaker is an insult. There use to be a hard line between a composer and a producer, with completely different roles. There's more overlap today, and that's cool. But you cannot call someone who just loops and layers riffs a producer/composer. They are indeed beatmakers. Someone who understands tension and release, call and response, they are true producers. Traditionally a music producer plays a similar role as a movie director. If they performed on a record they'd also get a performance royalty, if they wrote a part, they'd get a song writing royalty.

Khaled never bothered me, but his errogance drives me nuts in this video. Modesty goes a lot further than ego.

pLv2

09 Jun 2017

Galaxy wrote:Khaled never bothered me, but his errogance drives me nuts in this video. Modesty goes a lot further than ego.
Yeah well there's a lot of ego in hip hop and rap. I'm sure his energy is pretty inspirational for the artists he works with.

As for knowing theory to be a producer, these are basic concepts that a lot of producers use even if they don't know the theory. A one note bassline vs melody in trance is a form of counterpoint but I doubt very many people think like this.

Galaxy

09 Jun 2017

pLv2 wrote:
Galaxy wrote:Khaled never bothered me, but his errogance drives me nuts in this video. Modesty goes a lot further than ego.
Yeah well there's a lot of ego in hip hop and rap. I'm sure his energy is pretty inspirational for the artists he works with.

As for knowing theory to be a producer, these are basic concepts that a lot of producers use even if they don't know the theory. A one note bassline vs melody in trance is a form of counterpoint but I doubt very many people think like this.
Theory is not required to be great. It can help, but not required. Also a great song can be written with a one note bassline. It's not about complexity, it's about knowing how to convey emotion in your music and bring the listener through the song.

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2017

QVprod wrote: I think you're missing the point of the video. Whether or not you like the stuff he's produced is pretty irrelevant to the point he makes in the video. Simply explains the difference between a beat maker and a producer.

Besides, he's had quite a successful career in hiphop, Definitely qualified to speak on the topic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Khaled
Exactly.

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2017

gak wrote:Yeah, I don't understand these guys.

Am I missing something? Who is being a parrot and not looking at the music without the stereotypical nonsense?

Who said anything about worshipping them?

He had a message on the video. That is why I shared it. You've not commented one iota on the message in the video and you are definitely not adding to the thread in any constructive way. The thread is about producing versus beatmaking.

siln

09 Jun 2017

but I agree when he says that success lead to people around being jealous and do crazy stuff to ruin your business, he seems to be pretty defensive about that, maybe that s the usefull part of the ego

gak

09 Jun 2017

Yeah, I approach things wrong at times.

@Parrot: Naw, it wasn't nice of me, but I get sick of cookie-cutter people being our "leaders"

He hasn't made a beat or produced anything that is new or original. If you like it, cool. It's really none of my business. What is that he's plastered all over everything of late and and still say he's the flavor of the month.

Sorry to be so over the top, I just kinda get tired of it. I don't find anything "dope" about him.

gak

09 Jun 2017

QVprod wrote:
gak wrote: Besides, he's had quite a successful career in hiphop, Definitely qualified to speak on the topic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Khaled
So is donald trump, but I don't care about anything he says either.

siln

17 Jun 2017

gak wrote:
09 Jun 2017
QVprod wrote:
gak wrote: Besides, he's had quite a successful career in hiphop, Definitely qualified to speak on the topic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Khaled
So is donald trump, but I don't care about anything he says either.
I bet you prefer communist literature :D
good for you , I bet you already know https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Socie ... _Spectacle
:lol:

gak

17 Jun 2017

Good weed?

Honestly, how does someone get to that conclusion?

Anyways, said what I said, and sticking to it. I'm tired of these yahoo's acting like they know something just because they are the flavor of the month.

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2017

gak wrote:
17 Jun 2017
Good weed?

Anyways, said what I said, and sticking to it. I'm tired of these yahoo's acting like they know something just because they are the flavor of the month.
Just so the logic is clear.

You said: "he's flavour of the month."
QVProd said: "no he's not flavour of the month, he's been successful for years."
You said: "I don't care, so was Donald Trump."

The point was not, he's successful, listen to him. The point was that he's not just the flavour of the month, because he's actually been consistently successful over years.

So I'm not really following your logic at all :?

My other gripe is, Khaled is talking about something that can't really be denied, which is the difference between a beatmaker and a producer. Everything he's said is exactly the same things written about on this subject, but you seem to be saying, "yeah but he's just flavour of the month, so if he says the same things other recognised producers say, we should ignore it because 'I am sick of these flavour of the month yahoos'".

Doesn't really make for conducive conversation IMO. Just sounds like baseless ad hominem on a culture you don't like while not adding to the discussion in any way.

gak

14 Jul 2017

He's a parody of himself in "poopstar: never stop never stopping"

gak

14 Jul 2017

avasopht wrote:
18 Jun 2017
gak wrote:
17 Jun 2017
Good weed?

Just so the logic is clear.

You said: "he's flavour of the month."
QVProd said: "no he's not flavour of the month, he's been successful for years."
You said: "I don't care, so was Donald Trump."

The point was not, he's successful, listen to him. The point was that he's not just the flavour of the month, because he's actually been consistently successful over years.

So I'm not really following your logic at all :?

My other gripe is, Khaled is talking about something that can't really be denied, which is the difference between a beatmaker and a producer. Everything he's said is exactly the same things written about on this subject, but you seem to be saying, "yeah but he's just flavour of the month, so if he says the same things other recognised producers say, we should ignore it because 'I am sick of these flavour of the month yahoos'".

Doesn't really make for conducive conversation IMO. Just sounds like baseless ad hominem on a culture you don't like while not adding to the discussion in any way.
My logic is clear. He's a dope. I'm not really looking for a conversation about some dummy that knows how to do the exact same thing as all the other dopes in his genre. Parrots are not musicians.

gak

14 Jul 2017

Beatmakers and producers.

What does that even mean?

Oh I know... yoodly odle autotune "yeah, uh, yeah, uh hun", "tattoo her crack, yeah, batch and the ho's"

(cue justin boober and his twat-ass canadian livin' in LA bullshit "oh sade, yoddddddly autotune"

Yeah motherf....er, sounds like ever single other bullshit parrot nonsense, uh hun,

DJ parrot, bwak, It's all the same, if you don't like it your a racist, BWAK!

QVprod

14 Jul 2017

gak wrote:
14 Jul 2017
My logic is clear. He's a dope. I'm not really looking for a conversation about some dummy that knows how to do the exact same thing as all the other dopes in his genre.
First off, this thread is a discussion based off of the video in the OP. Again your (or anyone's) opinion of his work is irrelevant to this discussion. To clue you in, I'm not necessarily a fan either, but again... irrelevant.

If you do not want to engage in a discussion related to DJ Khaled's remarks in the video, then there is no need for you to participate in this thread. Simple.

This here:
gak wrote:
14 Jul 2017
Beatmakers and producers.

What does that even mean?

Oh I know... yoodly odle autotune "yeah, uh, yeah, uh hun", "tattoo her crack, yeah, batch and the ho's"

(cue justin boober and his twat-ass canadian livin' in LA bullshit "oh sade, yoddddddly autotune"

Yeah motherf....er, sounds like ever single other bullshit parrot nonsense, uh hun,

DJ parrot, bwak, It's all the same, if you don't like it your a racist, BWAK!
This is called trolling. I'll ask kindly (this once) that you move on to other threads that you can actually contribute to.

gak

14 Jul 2017

Or, bs.

In other words, it's all participation (which I KNEW you'd chime in on) about his nonsense.

The nonsense of his hypocritical bs. He's not some wild expert that we need to bow down to, he IS the flavor of the month.

He's not a produca or anything special. He's just another guy milking it for a buck.

Now how did I know "you" would chime in on this :lol:

gak

14 Jul 2017

So predictable.

• Information