Sooo Music making...better with vst?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Marc64

22 May 2017

I'll just put the 2 question in here:
Who think they will make "better" music now with vst introduced? :)
Who thinks everything will sound "better"? :)

I _might_ do better but it depends on how "good" my music is all together from the beginning :lol:
Some new synths and stuff is allways welcomed so inspiration CAN burst out but it doesn't say my music will be better :lol:

QVprod

22 May 2017

I believe this is a common misconception of why people actually want VST. Most of the time people aren't saying they can make "better" music as far as actual composition goes. It's more about quality of sound or ease of achieving a certain sound with less steps. Of course the writing has to be good to begin with, but lesser quality sounds can make a good song sound weak.

Marc64

22 May 2017

QVprod wrote:I believe this is a common misconception of why people actually want VST. Most of the time people aren't saying they can make "better" music as far as actual composition goes. It's more about quality of sound or ease of achieving a certain sound with less steps. Of course the writing has to be good to begin with, but lesser quality sounds can make a good song sound weak.
Yeah thats pretty much why I ask :)

Oquasec

22 May 2017

There are thousands of vsts shittier than reason's stock plugins.
It's definitely a "You" situation when it comes to music producing :P
Last edited by Oquasec on 22 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

selig
RE Developer

22 May 2017

Your thread title asks a better question IMO: is your "music making" better with VSTs.

Music making is a journey. If a different tool makes that journey more pleasurable or takes less time, then your job on that journey is easier. If your job is easier and more fun, chances are your music reflects that - unless of course your music should sound difficult and tortured, in which case you may want to go back to ink and paper to get you in "the mood". ;)

So if I can choose a route for my musical journey that in any way brings more joy (or less stress) into my life, I'll choose it! And for some I'd guess that includes VSTs.
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

pushedbutton

22 May 2017

Music should be a labour of love and every step of the way should be a struggle.
If Reason doesn't sound right out of the box you should spend hours tweaking and teasing the factory sound bank with years of hard earned knowledge to achieve the sound you are looking for.
Never use a factory preset, even if it exactly the sound you are looking for, if is exactly what you're looking for you should use a convoluted way to recreate the sound in another device, just to prove your superior skill.
If you see an easy way to create the sound you're trying to achieve but it's not in Reason you should settle for something else until you're more skilled or until there is a refill you can buy from Propellerhead.
Re's are for ....
VSTs are all shit, even the good ones.
If you can't hack it, just give up, music is too hard for you.

...or not that.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

pLv2

22 May 2017

Marc64 wrote:I'll just put the 2 question in here:
Not I, Not I, said the eye in sky.

I have all the synth power I want in Reason with plenty of top notch rack extension synths. I'm not going to waste time and money screwing around with VST synths just because I can. I am interested in some mixing and mastering plugs although I bought Kuassa EVE-MP5 RE yesterday and that is a real beauty in itself. My music is pretty much where I want it to be and I realize that I am in control of how "good" my music is. VST's aren't going to help anybody become a better artist (right out of the gate). The artist David Choe painted in prison with soy sauce, tea, blood and urine. I'm grateful that music production is too technical for that but that's beside my point.
selig wrote:If your job is easier and more fun, chances are your music reflects that - unless of course your music should sound difficult and tortured, in which case you may want to go back to ink and paper to get you in "the mood". ;)
Yes! Good idea!

siln

22 May 2017

pLv2 wrote: The artist David Choe painted in prison with soy sauce, tea, blood and urine. I'm grateful that music production is too technical for that but that's beside my point.
Since im on my older laptop, I can relate a bit to this feelings :)
not complaining though, having to bounce to wav early has his advantages

pLv2

22 May 2017

siln wrote:Since im on my older laptop, I can relate a bit to this feelings :)
not complaining though, having to bounce to wav early has his advantages
I'm on a laptop too and pretending to be a hotshot with an Akai controller (see YouTube). I'm actually playing with a VK-2 patch at the moment. :D

ShawnG

22 May 2017

Not everyone comes at this from the same angle. I made music with other sequencers and vst's long before I ever tried Reason. (And I made music with a 4track cassette recorder and hardware before that). With reason, I couldn't use my complete palette until now (unless I wanted to faff around with rewire or midi out). So, I guess the answer is that I am more likely to use Reason in more situations than before, which likely means I will finish more songs, due to enjoying working in reason's workflow. And yes, much of my music involves acoustic drum samples and piano, which quite honestly are two instruments not very well served by reason's previous offerings, so glad I'll be able to use my vast round robin piano and drum libraries now.

Oquasec

23 May 2017

Daws are really simple tools when you wrap ya head around em.
Plugins of the same type most likely have the same, or at worse similar controls.

And then we go on to the universal control scheme thing barring the design of the plugins themselves, which leads to it being even more apparent that it matters more of what you know in general.
Producer/Programmer.

aeox
Competition Winner

23 May 2017

not really for me.

my go-to synth for most of my sound design will always be eXpanse(heck, even Thor for the more simple sounds). my go-to reverb will always be Deep Reverb, TSAR-1R, and RV7000 for IR reverb.

although, there are some things in the VST world that simply can not be matched with RE. such as Serum(it's really in the filter sections, mixed with the low artifact synthesis(if not zero) that really takes the cake on designing top-notch bass growls and such ) and Kontakt libraries.

oh, and i think almost everyone is thankful for OTT being free and readily available to use in Reason.
Last edited by aeox on 23 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Oquasec

23 May 2017

I read in the manual somewhere the ssl did upward compression at a max of 40 db if you wanted it too, not too sure if that's a correct statement or if I misread it. Might have to gloss over the manual again as usual
Producer/Programmer.

gak

23 May 2017

Of course it's better.

Spending more money = better. Duh.

devilfish

23 May 2017

VST = more Freeware stuff...

you can have some more tools to do something faster or easier.. or to get closer to your Sound..

There are a hand full fantastic sounding freeware plugins out there! (Or two hands full). And imagine VST Support is for free and your new tools also. It's a perfect Deal, i think ;)

joeyluck

23 May 2017

devilfish wrote:VST = more Freeware stuff...

you can have some more tools to do something faster or easier.. or to get closer to your Sound..

There are a hand full fantastic sounding freeware plugins out there! (Or two hands full). And imagine VST Support is for free and your new tools also. It's a perfect Deal, i think ;)
Yeah and there are certainly some trade-offs. Especially when we are talking about music making. Working with floating windows is a pain and kills my workflow. There might be a few times I might be able to use a VST to achieve something via some presets and other times it will be more cumbersome dealing with the different interfaces and obstructive windows; which aren't so good for my music making.
And that's just considering working on my own personal computer once I get it all installed and setup. That's not even considering working on other computers on job sites...which is stressful to think about (unlike just syncing all my REs and using online authentication).

But then there are VST plugins like Synplant that I really like. Such a clever and different approach to synthesis. It's fun and inspiring to use. Getting great sounds is easy and I love the exploration with seeds and branches. And I find I'm quickly writing music with it. And the interface is intelligent and compact. So even though it's a floating window, it's much easier to work with without it getting in the way.

I find for the most part with VSTs, I might be using more of the mastering and restoration stuff such as iZotope's Ozone and RX. As well as other tools like McDSP's SA-2 Dialog Processor. But then again, the iZotope stuff I probably prefer to just use in their standalone applications as I see them as different stages. The SA-2 is only a plugin, so I might use that in Reason. But I would be using these more for sound design work and polishing of music vs. making music.

devilfish

23 May 2017

I use:
Synplant, Microtonic, Waldorf Edition, Novation V-Station & Bassstation & FxSuite.. and some free ones in FL Studio ;)

Redster

23 May 2017

For a Reason only Guitarist definitely YES. Stock Amps are rubbish, Kuassa amps are great but bringing in S-Gear natively has changed everything for me. OK i used S-Gear as a VST via loopback previously but it was a faff to set up and bounce down during an inspiration spurt, so for the most part i deferred to Kuassa. But that's all changed now (sorry Kuassa but there's no going back)... I hope that 9.5 release doesn't break my default preset I have set-up in the beta. RRLGR has had a BIG upgrade which is more efficient on the Surface Pro 4.

That said S-gear is probably the only VST i actually intend to use. Will maybe check out some of the acoustic drum VST's out there but, yawn...

Jmax

01 Jun 2017

Marc64 wrote:I'll just put the 2 question in here:

I _might_ do better but it depends on how "good" my music is all together from the beginning :lol:
Some new synths and stuff is allways welcomed so inspiration CAN burst out but it doesn't say my music will be better :lol:
The answer for me is:

I can make better music with VST USING Reason. Then say Ableton Live or Studio One. It's just easier to create with, throw in VSTs and it's a perfect marriage.

VSTs have always been around. It's just how you go about creating with them. That in turns creates better music.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Noplan
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2017

It might help making good music.

Oquasec

01 Jun 2017

Basically it's more of me being used to Reason since that was the only daw I didn't quit in the last 6 years :P
Producer/Programmer.

kuhliloach

01 Jun 2017

Overwhelmption... Yes I totally needed thousands more sounds and plug-ins because the fifty five million I started with clearly wasn't enough. Of course things get better when the number of choices you have for an EQ go from 192 to 47,243. Definitely a time saver and of course EQ's sound and work better when you have way more of them. They can feel each other's presence and that really brings out the best.

Oquasec

01 Jun 2017

I don't mind more plugins but yeh.
Very selective of my plugins too :P
Producer/Programmer.

gak

02 Jun 2017

Noplan wrote:It might help making good music.
What does that even mean?

gak

03 Jun 2017

Levity, serious, nice, mean. It's all the same. You'll get a different answer from virtually everyone (and maybe a +1) once in a while.

I make music, I talk about music, what does it matter?

The reason I'm being brash is because OTHERS seem to be so personal about it. Like you HAVE to choose sides. Bullshit. Just enjoy it.

• Information