Benedict has left ReasonTalk.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
modecca

21 May 2017

I noticed my PM's were not getting through and asked him what was going on.
He said: "I have left RT so everything I can turn off is off."

He will be missed and is most certainly considered: "one of the Reason OG'z"

He has inspired me a lot with his innate musicality, exceptional sound design, and a style that captures genres & artists in electronic music, that have a truly remarkable character.
He is as good a musician, as he is a sophisticated, well informed communicator in relation to all things music.

As usual I have to include /attach myself to people who actually have talent(they called me tapeworm in juvie).
If possible I would like his memory of this place to be a positive one, so I want to do a video review his final work.
If anyone is interested in sending me some video or audio commentary in relation to his "Waters are my Sky" album, I will use it in my upcoming review (unless you look like a monster or have a dentures accent(ostermilk- kidding!)).

https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2017/04/2 ... re-my-sky/
🔗💥

Ostermilk

21 May 2017

I must admit I nearly did the exact same thing a week or so ago.

All the "what else can I buy to add to my DAW" frenzy that's been going on, certain areas of the forum seem to have turned to what seems like a pack of spoiled kids making unrelenting demands on Santa since the VST announcement, which has been a bit of a downer for me lately TBH.

Benedict is one of the goodly and interesting characters around this place (and was around the PUF too) so hopefully his absence will only be a temporary one until all that bollocks dies down a bit.

And yes I fell out of the ugly tree and bashed myself badly on every branch on the way down so any video commentary from me would likely scare him further away, but I might put my teeth in and say a few words.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

21 May 2017

He has done this before, takes a break from the shit that goes on... and I don't blame him, so I hope that he will be back again, one thing about staying away from forums etc. is you get a lot more music done... I should take a leaf out of his book really...

pLv2

21 May 2017

I've done this too and it proved to be "bene"-ficial to me. Haa! What is the deadline on the review of his album?

modecca

22 May 2017

pLv2 wrote:I've done this too and it proved to be "bene"-ficial to me. Haa! What is the deadline on the review of his album?
The earliest I see the review being completed is by Wednesday.
🔗💥

Heater

22 May 2017

I think the one sided moderation on this board pissed him off.

MDTerps2015

22 May 2017

Did anyone see my post about this forum exploding? Then a few proceeded to go uppity on me a few post later. The forum has taken on a whole new shape and I can say that it's not as welcomed as it was before this 9.5 announcement.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Heater

22 May 2017

MDTerps2015 wrote:Did anyone see my post about this forum exploding? Then a few proceeded to go uppity on me a few post later. The forum has taken on a whole new shape and I can say that it's not as welcomed as it was before this 9.5 announcement.

You should have seen PUF when they announced audio recording support. It was mental.

pLv2

22 May 2017

modecca wrote:The earliest I see the review being completed is by Wednesday.
I'll see what I can do. It'd be fun to chime in somehow with at least a cameo although I'd like to do more than videobomb your review.
MDTerps2015 wrote:Did anyone see my post about this forum exploding?
I try to keep my antics in the music forum and the kitchen to not spoil the fun of the VST madness.

Kenni
Site Admin

22 May 2017

Heater wrote:I think the one sided moderation on this board pissed him off.
In all fairness, the particular topic that made him leave was about NNXT, not VST. He referred to a new user as a noob. We moderated that according to our rules, same with the user he was referring to, who made a salty response.

That wasn't one sided. A lot of posts are made here each day, we can't treat people differently just because they've been here for long. It could just have been left at that, instead of this drama.

I think it's a shame he left RT, and I think this is a great idea, regardless of the story behind. Users reviewing other users music is a very awesome thing if you ask me!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

WillyOD

22 May 2017

Taking a break from forums and social sites, is something I highly recommended for everyone every now and then.

You can always come back later.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

decoder

22 May 2017

I hope that it is a temporary absence myself... I think there are far more people who appreciate you than you might know.

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 May 2017

That's a shame.

I think it's important not to lose perspective. I believe moderation is valuable for many reasons, and it's so important to aim to strike good balance and not overshoot the line.

Sometimes there are nasty characters who need to be managed, as well as just keeping conversations between the well-meaning users civil. I know I've sometimes lost my cool and needed moderators to give me a nudge, it's just better done in a way that doesn't make a person feel invalidated.

WongoTheSane

22 May 2017

I hope you'll be back soon, Benedict, your knowledge and contagious dedication are appreciated by everyone but a couple of trolls!

siln

22 May 2017

listenned half his album so far, so good and vry inspiring;
his website is neat and i liked his articles on various subjects when i came accross a few month ago, thanks to mention it so I could read the new ones

Gorgon

22 May 2017

Benedict is an asset to this forum and the way he was treated by the mods was wrong.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Kenni
Site Admin

22 May 2017

Gorgon wrote:Benedict is an asset to this forum and the way he was treated by the mods was wrong.
How so?

I've read this a lot lately. If people think we're doing something wrong, they should tell us, instead of talking past us, like we're not here.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Kenni
Site Admin

22 May 2017

In fact, send me a pm instead, and lets stay on track with this topic :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

siln

22 May 2017

seems like I missed a drama :roll:
new forum suggestion : drama alert sent via notification
whatever :redface:

gak

23 May 2017

Kenni wrote:
Gorgon wrote:Benedict is an asset to this forum and the way he was treated by the mods was wrong.
How so?

I've read this a lot lately. If people think we're doing something wrong, they should tell us, instead of talking past us, like we're not here.
Lolz, we just get "warned" :lol:

Anyways, the dude in question was pretty cool, and will likely be back.

Last Alternative

24 May 2017

Breaks are needed at times. It doesn't take much for madness to fester in forums.
He's a good dude who's greatly inspired me over time. I'm sure he's sick of waiting for me to submit the rest of my album for mixing but it's gonna happen. The guy knows what he's talking about and I've always highly respected him and bought his albums.

Who knows.. maybe he's in stealth-mode as we speak.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

EnochLight

24 May 2017

Meh.. I took a break last year for a time. Had nothing to do with RT so much; it was more me needing time to focus on stuff I needed to get done, and let's face it - online forums - like social networking sites - can be a time suck.

We can all be sensitive - we're human, after all. Benedict was no different. That said, I think the mods are doing a fantastic job here and are majorly underappreciated.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Ostermilk

25 May 2017

I agree it's a hard job to moderate even-handedly especially when so much forum interaction is just an exchange of stuff that isn't very crucial in the grand scheme of things, it must be a real PITA to come in everyday and referee that little lot so I do appreciate the work of the moderating team here greatly.

However, like I said I had a very similar incident to Benedict where I lost my cool with someone and responded in a manner that got me a post deleted and I felt aggreived that I'd let some little bottom feeder get a rise out of me and I was really close to leaving myself. (Which would of course be a great shame for everyone... :oops: ) What I do find mysterious however is the guy involved in the Benedict exchange, although clearly not a newbie created his profile just a few days after that incident.

I'm wondering now if this is the same guy that pissed us both off using two seperate logins being as the MO looks so similar. So yes it is a great shame to lose good contributors to idly flaming trolls.

littlejam

25 May 2017

hello,

to chime in:
i, too, agree that the moderators are doing a very good job at their job
it's easy to get salty when you can hide behind a keyboard and a moniker
i, too, will miss Benedict's contributions / knowledge to RT

cheers,
j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

Ostermilk

18 Jun 2017

Yep, after yet another a run in with the same guy that saw Benedict out of here and some pretty ineffectual moderationg that resulted out of that (all aside from Wongo it has to be said) and now this forum turning into a LearnReason type spam portal that nobody frequents anymore, I reckon now I should have taken Benedict's lead at that time which is something I did discuss with 'Kenni' back then.

The community led movement that led to this place opening, being a great success for awhile against a back-drop of swiftly launched vanity web projects that appeared after the closure of the PUF this one now looks for all the world to me like it's headed in the same direction as the rest of those, i.e. a 'ghost town' that simply serves to point people in a direction of some fairly lame content that they ain't interested in.

Falling numbers of genuine contributors yet seemingly the priority is that it's more important to attempt to make this place look cooler rather than work better as a community. Actually in all fairness LearnReason's forums have dropped the lame content and the design is more coherent than this one as it stands so perhaps Matt is about to edge in front in the most relevant Reason community stakes, now that would be a turnabout.

Ah, well there's plenty else I can be doing while I watch with interest from a distance what future if any this place has. Perhaps the Props were right after all socail media is where it's at these days.

Thanks to all the members past and present that I have enjoyed the company of immensly.

• Information