There's an ad in the header!

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!

Do you mind the ad in the top of the forum?

Yes
19%
No
78%
I can accept it, if it's placed elsewhere
3%

Total votes: 72
EdGrip

19 May 2017

If you don't mind us asking, how much are the costs? I'm guessing that VST will mean more Reason owners, more visitors, and more hosting costs in future.
I've selected "no": I'm happy to have the ad if it has to be there - but I'd much prefer to put my hand in my pocket and give the forum a couple of quid.

I'm wholly in favour of having the option to pay upfront to live in an ad-free internet. That's my dream.

Kenni
Site Admin

19 May 2017

EdGrip wrote:If you don't mind us asking, how much are the costs? I'm guessing that VST will mean more Reason owners, more visitors, and more hosting costs in future.
I'm happy to have the ad if it has to be there - but I'd prefer to put my hand in my pocket and give the forum a couple of quid.

I'm wholly in favour of having the option to pay upfront to live in an ad-free internet. That's my dream.
I agree, that's basically what I've been doing so far, and I'd like it to be that way. Optimally, to run the site, I'd like for us to have something we could actually offer our users something instead. With ad's, we don't have to as long as we can keep it at this level.

I've always been open about the costs of the site, and I'll continue to be. We're well below our bandwith limits, so we can handle the increased traffic the way I've set up the servers.

Our costs
  • News site server: $20
  • Forum server: $20
  • Utilities server (backup, shop mirror, daily housekeeping scripts): $20
  • Development server: $5
  • Google Apps (email): $10
  • Total: $75/month
Then there's a few one-time-fee's here and there. Some people might say it would seem like an overkill to have a server for each particular area (News site/forum), but when the forum's busy like when Propellerhead announces VST support, CPU usage crawls to 50%-60%, and with the influx of new users I think it's wise to have the forum on a server of it's own. Same goes for the news site.

Some of the daily scripts and tasks for the utility server only run for short periods of time, but they're fast because they're multi-threaded, so they take a lot of computation as well. If all of these things were on the same server, things would be... Well, slow and unstable :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

HepCat

19 May 2017

Dude, if you don't mind me saying, the ads look like filth, all this stuff about Forex and getting girls.

I aint gonna suggest any alternative because l know you like to find answers yourself.

Dante

19 May 2017

My only issue with these adds is to at least make them family friendly - get rid of the single girl and dating adds pls !

Kenni
Site Admin

19 May 2017

Dante wrote:My only issue with these adds is to at least make them family friendly - get rid of the single girl and dating adds pls !
Yes, we're working on that!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

pjeudy

19 May 2017

when I first saw the adds I thought I had a virus of some kind...but all in all I have zero problems with adds IF you can have them be strictly music related.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

eusti

19 May 2017

jfrichards wrote:Thank goodness they go away when you sign in.
On tapatalk? Not on Firefox... (Maybe I need to log out and in again????)

D.

jfrichards

19 May 2017

I mean on ReasonTalk.

aeox
Competition Winner

19 May 2017

what ad?

edit: turned off adblock and it's still not showing up, guess my pc is immune to ads.

SoulState

20 May 2017

With adblock I don't see the ads here but on my iPhone - which doesn't have Adblock - the ads take up a good chunk of the page!
Happy to donate REGULARLY if it means keeping ads at bay.

Don't be shy - just do a fund raise couple of times a year - people are happy help out :D
:reason:

selig
RE Developer

20 May 2017

There's even a comedic advantage to ads - I just LOL'ed when a "save the pandas" ad appeared next to an "Lectric Panda ReFill" post...

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

20 May 2017

jfrichards wrote:Oh yeah, what could possibly go wrong with starting a little advertising?

Thank goodness they go away when you sign in.

I'm signed in and I'm still being invited to click some dodgy dating/pr0n website that exists only to harvest email addresses from gullible signups to pass to spammers.

This is what this site is now about?

"It's a requirement for Tapatalk"? Get rid of Tapatalk then.

I used to donate monthly to avoid ads. I would have continued had I been made welcome!

decibel

20 May 2017

ugly tbh

Zac

20 May 2017

I really dislike the ads. I really like the site. If the latter needs the former then OK I guess.

Kenni
Site Admin

21 May 2017

Hi all,

First round of ad-review are now done. It resulted in 24 blocked ad networks, and 78 specific ad type blocks, all related to dating, cheating, etcetera :)

Hope this weeds out as much of the inappropriate ads as possible!

Round 2 starts tomorrow!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

stratatonic

21 May 2017

What cookies or whathaveyou are on your computer that you have Russian Dating sites popping up in your ReasonTalk visits, lol?

So far I've had ads for Plugin Boutique (been looking at some VSTs), A Canadian Bank (good, I'm Canadian), a couple of sites that sell cameras (i've been researching cameras), a Real Estate agent (ok, out of his jurisdiction by about 260 miles, but close enough :) ) So far it's been mostly unobtrusive.

Personally, I don't mind a small ad popping up on each page.

scratchnsnifff

21 May 2017

i accidentally clicked it when i was on my phone, idk if the placement messed with anyone else? not really an issue but just saying :p
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Ostermilk

22 May 2017

jfrichards wrote:
Well I'm signed in, I disabled my adblocker and there they are.

I'm a bit disappointed as I haven't noticed any inappropiate content so I shall enable my ad-blocker again.

Kenni
Site Admin

22 May 2017

Ostermilk wrote:
jfrichards wrote:
Well I'm signed in, I disabled my adblocker and there they are.

I'm a bit disappointed as I haven't noticed any inappropiate content so I shall enable my ad-blocker again.
Haha, thanks!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

C//AZM

22 May 2017

selig wrote: ...I would actually be interested in ads IF they were extremely targeted to my interests (and "on topic" for all Reason users), but as that's unlikely at present ...
:)
I was looking for dress shoes for my son this past weekend and bam! there"s an ad from one of the places I visited online. I'm gonna wipe my cookies and go to Rupert Neve's site and see if it tracks me back here.

househoppin09

23 May 2017

If ReasonTalk management is finding the ads to be delivering substantial revenue, I don't have a problem with them. However, my experience has very much shown that a large, un-missable donation banner (say, about the same size and placement as the new ad banners) will generally deliver far superior results. I strongly recommend comparing the two approaches--say, a month with the ads the way they are now followed by a month with no ads and a donation banner in that same spot. I'd bet that the donation banners would outperform the ads, as long as the donation system itself is well-designed (e.g., offer about four preset amounts as well as a name-your-own-donation fill-in, with the lowest preset being no more than $5, make sure to accept PayPal, etc.).

artotaku

23 May 2017

I hate banner and blinky distracting ads and avoid them where I can. I´d prefer to keep RT without them. But I totally understand that server costs may be covered somehow.

Audiotic

24 May 2017

All good. I dont mind it at all
Always keep my adblocker deactivated for sites I wanna support.

• Information