Is there a worse combination than writer's block and procrastination?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
pskovacs

27 Apr 2017

Having gone through the process of both of these phenomena over the last couple months, i can say without a doubt that I've never felt such a crunch to get work done than I do now (but I'm at work , and won't be able to start the work in earnest for another hour or so).

I had finished the first draft of my Master's Thesis in late February, and received notes back from my advisor in early March. I had initially procrastinated and took it easy, figuring I had a bunch of time to get things done, and that over Spring Break i could get things done... Spring break arrives, and every time I sat to work on the dissertation, I just kept having the worst mental blocks, and nothing got done... this writer's block lasted until around a week ago. I have done some work in the last week, but not nearly enough as I wanted to.

My advisor got back to me today giving me an ultimatum of getting the next draft to him no later than Sunday night. I feel I can get this done, but it will require me to essentially write around 25-30 pages in the next 72 hours or so... fortunately though it's not all from scratch, and I finally have the general plan set in my mind... now to just get it to paper.

After he gets back to me early in the week, I'll then have until the weekend after the coming weekend to do finishing touches, so that my committee can approve my project by the deadline on May 10th. I've been had rd at work on this project in some sort or another for the last 3 and a half years, and it's all coming down to this... hopefully if all goes well, I will receive the PhD program offers that I am expecting.

The moral of this story is to work hard, and try to avoid procrastinating as much as possible, as you never may know when writer's block or other forces get in your way. That said, I feel confident that I can overcome these obstacles this time around, and have the ammunition to prevent it again in the future.

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2017

Aren't they the same thing?

Happy writing.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

jappe

28 Apr 2017

pskovacs wrote:Having gone through the process of both of these phenomena over the last couple months, i can say without a doubt that I've never felt such a crunch to get work done than I do now (but I'm at work , and won't be able to start the work in earnest for another hour or so).

I had finished the first draft of my Master's Thesis in late February, and received notes back from my advisor in early March. I had initially procrastinated and took it easy, figuring I had a bunch of time to get things done, and that over Spring Break i could get things done... Spring break arrives, and every time I sat to work on the dissertation, I just kept having the worst mental blocks, and nothing got done... this writer's block lasted until around a week ago. I have done some work in the last week, but not nearly enough as I wanted to.

My advisor got back to me today giving me an ultimatum of getting the next draft to him no later than Sunday night. I feel I can get this done, but it will require me to essentially write around 25-30 pages in the next 72 hours or so... fortunately though it's not all from scratch, and I finally have the general plan set in my mind... now to just get it to paper.

After he gets back to me early in the week, I'll then have until the weekend after the coming weekend to do finishing touches, so that my committee can approve my project by the deadline on May 10th. I've been had rd at work on this project in some sort or another for the last 3 and a half years, and it's all coming down to this... hopefully if all goes well, I will receive the PhD program offers that I am expecting.

The moral of this story is to work hard, and try to avoid procrastinating as much as possible, as you never may know when writer's block or other forces get in your way. That said, I feel confident that I can overcome these obstacles this time around, and have the ammunition to prevent it again in the future.
Hmm...perhaps some ASMR relaxation could remove some of the stress?

Last Alternative

29 Apr 2017

Man this applies to everything. Especially me. Very good points.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

C4M

01 May 2017

A one day fly with a bad day? I think that's a more worse combination as writer's block and procrastination.
More (contact) info on: http://www.coach4music.com Do well and don't look back!!! :reason: :refill: :rt:

Kalm

01 May 2017

No, lol I'm in the last leg of getting my master's and just turned in my paper on synthesis basics and operation. Now I finally have time to produce and its like . . . Well what do I want to do. Let's just go home and watch Attack on Titan. I know this feeling all too well. Now I have a surge to get my EP done so I can graduate.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

sumusik

03 May 2017

Benedict wrote:Aren't they the same thing?

Happy writing.

:lol:

The former is the excuse for the latter.

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 May 2017

sumusik wrote:
Benedict wrote:Aren't they the same thing?

Happy writing.

:lol:

The former is the excuse for the latter.
I would postulate that the opposite is really the truth

fear > procrastination > block

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

pskovacs

04 May 2017

Made some decent progress, yet I may wind up needing to push back my conferral to the Summer... not necessarily given at this moment, but if it does happen, it won't be the end of the world either.

As to the relationship between fear/anxiety, procrastination, and writer's block, a couple interesting theories are presented... I do think fear/anxiety is an aspect that I had overlooked in the first place, and is something that I rarely am able to diagnose within myself.

My personal theory is that anxiety or fear about a situation can directly lead to both procrastination and writer's block independently, but that procrastination and writer's block can both lead to the other, and in return add to fear and anxiety as well... Kind of causing a bit of a vicious cycle as (crudely) diagrammed below:

|-----------------------|
| |
| |--> Procrastination
v | ^
Fear/Anxiety --| |
^ | v
| |--> Writer's Block
| |
|----------------------|

The key to breaking the cycle would likely be to break all three components at or around the same time, and I think my biggest hurdle for me was acknowledging and then dealing with my own fear and anxiety.

pskovacs

04 May 2017

Diagram was formatted wrong...

gak

06 May 2017

A worse combination here is a bottle of JD and the landscapers coming at 7am.

But everyone has different priorities.

demt

21 May 2017

I'm stupid enough to find crack gives me direction ànd purpose with sum kind of elevated"normal viewpoint got to be careful not. To get carried away though!
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

pushedbutton

22 May 2017

Bowel Cancer and Explosive Diarrhoea springs to mind.
Things can always be worse. Go outside, have a walk, smell the flowers, feel the rain on your face.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

plaamook

22 May 2017

Having loads of ideas and no time is pretty bad. It's kind of an inversion of what you suggest I guess.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 May 2017

Ambition, extraordinary talent and an aspiration to change the world through music marred by pathological laziness, self pity and an unsurmountable fear of failure?!

Oquasec

27 May 2017

The time spent worrying about that could be spent:
Relaxing
Learning more about theory
Learning more about CV/Gate [If you use programs like these]
Learning How to play some instruments
Playing some videogames or getting a workout in
Practicing scales, chords
Learning how to read sheet
Watching films & media
Reading books.

You'd be surprised how much you aren't procrastinating when doing all of the above. :lol:
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

plaamook

11 Jun 2017

I once had malaria and pneumonia at the same time. That might have been worse actually.

I also once had a tremendously bad cold (snot, chest, fever, the whole thing) and sun burn that resulted in all the skin on my back forming little bubbles or plisters and pealing off. But I couldn't get it all off. It was Thailand just after the mosoon, cold, nothing would dry, my cloths smelled of mould, and my back smelled of rotting skin! That was def worse.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Oquasec

11 Jun 2017

plaamook wrote:I once had malaria and pneumonia at the same time. That might have been worse actually.

I also once had a tremendously bad cold (snot, chest, fever, the whole thing) and sun burn that resulted in all the skin on my back forming little bubbles or plisters and pealing off. But I couldn't get it all off. It was Thailand just after the mosoon, cold, nothing would dry, my cloths smelled of mould, and my back smelled of rotting skin! That was def worse.
Yes get a pass for procrastination then :?
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information