RIP Ikutaro Kakehashi

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
motuscott

04 Apr 2017

Built Roland, 808, invented MIDI with Dave Smith...
“Music is as old as the shepherd with his panpipes,” he wrote in his autobiography, “but now it also is as new as the space age.”
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

raymondh

04 Apr 2017

Yes RIP to a pioneer. He left a wonderful legacy!

So many great instruments! My all-time favourite synth:

selig
RE Developer

04 Apr 2017

Interesting and rare interview - he says the instruments he wanted did not exist so he created them!

Sent from my crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

4filegate

06 Apr 2017

Rest in Peace Ikutaro Kakehashi, Founder of Roland, and indelible inspiration on my Space Echo Roland RE-201 explorations. Thank you for guitarists &. synth heaven.

dioxide

07 Apr 2017

Respect is due. I love all those classic Roland sounds and synths from Roland's golden age :)

O1B

09 Apr 2017

I'm so glad they 're-issue'd' Aira and the Boutique Line. Priceless.
The TR-8 is one thing. Fidelity. That Kick.

- But a dead to rights JP-08 alongside a TR-09 - in one's lap - is too cool.

Marco Raaphorst

09 Apr 2017

All these instruments where designed for a different purpose than how they where used by musicians.

I have made a documentary on Marvin Gaye living in Belgium from 1981 - 1982 and using a Roland 808 as one of the first. It was a budget machine for making demos. Even the technician Mike Butcher working with Marvin didn't understand why he was using that 'thin sounding drumcomputer' instead of a real drummer or at least, a Linndrum.

Good sound, has always been very subjective. Roland has proved it.

Must say, I hated the U220 and D110. Way too polished, lacking character imo. But well, I am only saying this because those device didn't became classics :D

But yeah Ikutaro Kakehashi was a king! Super smar fellow. RIP!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:All these instruments where designed for a different purpose than how they where used by musicians.

I have made a documentary on Marvin Gaye living in Belgium from 1981 - 1982 and using a Roland 808 as one of the first. It was a budget machine for making demos. Even the technician Mike Butcher working with Marvin didn't understand why he was using that 'thin sounding drumcomputer' instead of a real drummer or at least, a Linndrum.

Good sound, has always been very subjective. Roland has proved it.

Must say, I hated the U220 and D110. Way too polished, lacking character imo. But well, I am only saying this because those device didn't became classics :D

But yeah Ikutaro Kakehashi was a king! Super smar fellow. RIP!
D20 was my first synth, don't have it anymore but I did replace it with a D110 (got it free), they are great fun when you dig deep down inside them, also have a D70 and W30, I went for the D70 as everyone was going for the D50 at the time, live and learn. (I also have a Korg T1)..

RIP Ikutaro Kakehashi

• Information