How much do you care about other peoples opinions?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2017

I've been on this forum for a while now and I've noticed I tend to care less and less about other peoples opinions. That goes for both peoples opinions/advice regarding my music but also regarding discussions on REs or music gear. I'd like to think this is mostly a good thing.

I still find it interesting to see other peoples opinions and reactions but I don't let it affect me that much (or at all).
Occasionally I get constructive criticism on my songs that I agree with and at those times I'm more than happy to take that advice to heart. Sometimes it's just good to get a new perspective on things and every now and then a comment can make me try something new later on. That's awesome, but for the most part I know what I like and I've made the decisions I have for a reason.

Reading opinions on REs and music gear has strictly become about curiosity and a form of entertainment for me. I put no real value in any opinions there. There's been so many times I don't agree or have completely different needs when it comes to these things. The only way to know what REs you like is to try them or at least judge from the demos.

FlowerSoldier

31 Mar 2017

That's pretty insightful Tritone. It's good to be objective and recognize this forum is really a collection of our experiences and opinions of Reason.

I don't take everyone's opinion seriously. But I've learned a lot from this forum.

I used to date a girl who was a complete contrarian. She would argue against any opinion I had. One day I asked her why. She said she was playing devil's advocate so I would consider another point of view. After I understood that I kind of appreciated it.

We don't date anymore, but I try to maintain my own internal devils advocate. That's how I treat other people's opinions. Some of them carry more weight than others with me.

deepndark

31 Mar 2017

I've been also noticing how my opinion gets million replies with different opinion. When I was younger, I had my own mind and didn't have to be like others. Later on I had a period when I needed to be much more like the others were. It's time to start being like I AM again.

normen

31 Mar 2017

Other peoples opinions are important but not in a way that should actually affect you. Thats why in puberty your brain goes "dude, people think stuff about you, you better care about that" and later you realize its nothing to throw yourself in front of a train about. It would be stupid (and detrimental to society) not to consider other peoples opinion but its just as stupid to make that your own problem.

O1B

01 Apr 2017

Speaking as a teacher, quite a bit. O1B loves the kids; and, they keep O1B Honest.

But many adults (insecure males, mostly) are so hopelessly inured...

As far as Ladies go, .... I do all I can - to care what my mom, sister, aunts, and grandma thinks --
while keeping my 'balls' intact. That has translated well w/women who are close to me.

Greetings fron USC

gak

03 Apr 2017

(tries to think of something funny, but fail)

I care somewhat. But the interwebzes are so chock full of dopes it's hard to care much anymore. Most people here are pretty cool. And I've been scolded (whether I agree or not) but you get to be 52 and just trying to get along w/o being banned by someone over-zealous and it's hard to care anymore.

Pretty much in it for the lolz and the info. Anything else is usually trolling (there is usually not one right answer in these types of threads, but there is always some fool trying to be the alpha)

• Information