SoundCloud will be shutting down (probably.. or get bought out) *UPDATE* 8-12-17

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
ejanuska

31 Mar 2017

I don't see the problems with SoundCloud. What is the complaint users have with it?
You upload a song, the song plays. It's not bit for bit. No surprise there.

I like the variety of widgets and embedding options. Also anyone can go to SC and listen to your music without having to sign in with an account.

Some of the other services may have a better interface or app, but if they're not as well known as SC, that's an issue for some on whether to click or not.

They tried the modern approach to the internet, give everything away and when you get lots of users start charging them. I guess its not working out.

I know lots of people use YouTube for listening, if I used that I have to worry about fucking video production too? NG.

Alipoopa = Joke

Someone will buy them before they close the doors on all those precious users

Karim
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2017

Oquasec wrote:As a guy who never paid for pro soundcloud ever...I'm glad I'm not contributing to it with my own money.
btw they need just 100 millions dollars. I don't know if your contribute can help...

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

RealmUK

31 Mar 2017

Karim wrote:... btw they need just 100 millions dollars. I don't know if your contribute can help...
Shall we all have a whip round to see how much we can raise?! :D

Oquasec

01 Apr 2017

Exactly. Never paid for pro never will. G+/Youtube clan.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Karim
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2017

RealmUK wrote:
Karim wrote:... btw they need just 100 millions dollars. I don't know if your contribute can help...
Shall we all have a whip round to see how much we can raise?! :D
Maybe 1 billion? :shock: :D
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

slightlyprog

03 Apr 2017

Well, if that much money has been pumped into it I can't imagine it just disappearing. Surely someone somewhere wants to see that money again! 70 million is still a hefty old chunk of change.

Pralijah

03 Apr 2017

SoundCloud could have developed better. It is great when it comes to sharing links allover, but terrible when it comes to "like" songs. You like a song, and it starts playing automatically whether you want or not, resulting in that you go back and unlike the songs again. That is a weakness in its social media function. People tend to want to "like" freely without putting them to a playing list.
The wave-form look and comment function was cool in the beginning and still is a nice way of displaying audio and where you are in the listening. Hope they find a way to stay alive and make some betterments.
I wish Allihoopa get an option where you do not give away, only display the music without inviting whole world to use it or misuse it. :)
Just would be nice with an option between Able/Disable.
Last edited by Pralijah on 28 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Make music shake again!

Aggie

03 Apr 2017

Pralijah wrote:SoundCloud could have developed better. It is great when it comes to sharing links allover, but terrible when it comes to "like" songs. You like a song, and it starts playing automatically whether you want or not, resulting in that you go back and unlike the songs again. That is a weakness in its social media function. People tend to want to "like" freely without putting them to a playing list.
The wave-form look and comment function was cool in the beginning and still is a nice way of displaying audio and where you are in the listening. Hope they find a way to stay alive and make some betterments.
I wish Allihoopa get an option where you do not give away, only display the music without inviting whole world to use it or misuse it. :)
Just would be nice with an option between Able/Disable.
I think the fundamental issue with both SoundCloud and Allihoopa is their respective commercial models - or the lack of them. SC changed from a user-based community to a professional-based service but they didn't plan the transition very well - afaik, you still can't sell your music directly on there. Allihoopa is a showcase for the (4 or 5?) products it provides as a vendor - again, you can't sell anything on there - but it also doesn't have a method to determine what sort of "sharing" the user wants to do - you either share it and let others hack away at it (by downloading an .mp3 of your track) - or you keep it private and nobody can listen to it. I think both services are utterly useless for artists and producers trying to commercial sell their own music, directly and that has been the remit of iTunes, Deezer and all of the other services. Ultimately, I think SC and Allihoopa are for hobbyists or, at best, provide a method to showcase your work/skills, etc.
Adam Gill | BandLab

Pralijah

06 Apr 2017

Yes, I honestly think that my need is somewhere between, rather hobbyist aspiring to develop further if only there is a good space to grow in.
A community is great if it foster aspiring artists/producers into their own path, simply by meeting out and sharing feedback, collab and being able to support eachother right at the same place. So that when one really have a track that is at where it can be streamed or downloaded for a small amount (or say free but with ability to make a donation), one can do that both on the same site and/or easily through an extra service option, bring it to Spotify, Itunes etc.

But wait, is not Bandcamp something quite close to that? Maybe a combination of Bandcamp - SoundCloud and Allihoopa would be good.
Instead one have to jump back and forth different places where none really "seal the deal" so to speak.

We live in a time where there is a lot of options, but also often divided between many places. I rather have one place that acctually thinks of what is needed for independent producers/artists. But I guess it´s just a matter of maturity, good things will come.
Last edited by Pralijah on 28 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Make music shake again!

Aggie

06 Apr 2017

Bandcamp is okay. For more commercially astute there is Songtradr - lots of genres and even SFX are acceptable.
Adam Gill | BandLab

NekujaK

06 Apr 2017

Many years back, I used to post some of my tracks on soundclick.com, then recently started using SoundCloud (not to listen, just to post). I just checked, and am surprised to discover SoundClick is still around. For posting music, it's a decent alternative to SoundCloud, or at least used to be.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

06 Apr 2017

Paid up SC Pro user here, largely because of the ease of demo managing shop demos.

I did think that last revamp was pants, and removing groups was dumb.

The end of SC would indeed be messy given its status as de facto location for​ product demos. AliCarter is not an option as it's set up for copyright-free loop sharing, it is resolutely not for demonstration tracks, as that requires giving up all rights to those songs, and that's regardless of whether we as the creators make money off our songs or not. All it takes is some arse nicking it for a live stream remix, and he gets to both take credit and profit. And provided he doesn't reupload to AliCarter, he then does technically own copyright on the song.

Giving up those rights is not acceptable.

Let me repeat.

That. Is. Not. Acceptable.

Which means we'll all end up using it given the level of support RT seems to give it these days. :(

Faxxer

07 Apr 2017

joeyluck wrote:Do you all remember when mp3.com went away?

It was a bummer :(
I was making about a hundred bucks a day for a while just before it died, then some router in cali went down and I could not access the site for a month...lost the momentum.... make over 5k back then from music streams, got on TV here in my local town, we hit 100k listens just as it got sold.....I think it was a direct attempt to KILL new music because it was the first sign of the record industry losing absolute control over the music market....just my opinion... They took mp3.com and just put top 40 music on there and killed off the site over a couple/few years.
:essentials: :adapted: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :rebirth: :reason: :record: :refill: :ignition: :o

Marco Raaphorst

10 Apr 2017

here's a decentralised open source project, a sort of SoundCloud but open: https://github.com/mmckegg/ferment

gak

15 Apr 2017

Allahoopa is a bummer. Could be and SHOULD be great.

pskovacs

24 Apr 2017

I've been a bit neglectful of my Soundcloud account, and probably haven't used it to its full potential for my work, but if it does go under, I hope something comes around to fully replace it. I just got back into DJ'ing so I think I'll go with Mixcloud for that side.

plasticfractal

30 Apr 2017

I would gladly pay 20 bucks a month for an account if I could have multiple "bands" under the same account (maybe up to five for a price, then a slight increase for each band account).

Oquasec

30 Apr 2017

That's what cloud storage is for.
Producer/Programmer.

EnochLight

30 Apr 2017

Oquasec wrote:That's what cloud storage is for.
What cloud storage do you subscribe to that allows hosting HTML embedded music players in a convenient front end? Please share!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oquasec

30 Apr 2017

Besides youtube, hulkshare & Orfium?
Producer/Programmer.

EnochLight

01 May 2017

Oquasec wrote:Besides youtube, hulkshare & Orfium?
YouTube is geared towards video and completely clunky. Never heard of hulkshare & Orfium - will check them out. That said, you threw me off with "cloud storage". By your definition, SoundCloud and pretty much everything else mentioned is "cloud storage".
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oquasec

01 May 2017

There are so many cloud services out there you might as well just find some and stick to them for backing up xD
I use youtube rarely, and soundcloud is for junk that's worse than usual as well as decent ones.
Producer/Programmer.

Marco Raaphorst

01 May 2017

SoundCloud works superb for podcasts as well, providing a well validated feed, pre-fix for tracking stats and more.

Most of the postcasters nowadays are using SoundCloud because it works great.

EnochLight

01 May 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:SoundCloud works superb for podcasts as well, providing a well validated feed, pre-fix for tracking stats and more.

Most of the postcasters nowadays are using SoundCloud because it works great.
Agreed. And virtually every RE dev under the sun uses SoundCloud (including Props) to host audio demos of products. I certainly wouldn't consider the service junk!

Oquasec

01 May 2017

Good for them keep usin it. The world revolves whether or not a group of dudes quit that thing & move somewhere else.
Producer/Programmer.

• Information