How inspired are you today?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
modecca

19 Jan 2017

In relation to creativity: How inspired are you today?
For me the last 2 months have been a massive inspiration overload and it takes effort to take a break from it, in order to take care of the other aspects of life.
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

ejanuska

19 Jan 2017

I've been inspired for weeks but I have to go to my fucking real job instead.

modecca

19 Jan 2017

ejanuska wrote:I've been inspired for weeks but I have to go to my fucking real job instead.
Work has really given me a lot of skills that transcend my specific job title, that I would have never attained if I was always allowed to be in self indulgent creative fascination mode.
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

Peter

19 Jan 2017

I'm inspired enough to smoke a rabbit out of its home. It certainly does take an effort though especially to not fly off the handle at the job and say screw all y'alls - I get high for free off sound waves!

4filegate

19 Jan 2017

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens" Jimi Hendrix

modecca

19 Jan 2017

4filegate wrote:"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens" Jimi Hendrix

you forgot:
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet
Absence makes the heart grow fonder
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today
No pain, no gain
See the glass as half empty,
and Slow and steady wins the race :ugeek:
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

modecca

19 Jan 2017

nooomy wrote:No inspiration for a month now :( I blame it on my new job
When I only have a little time after work to do something creative, I tend to focus on smaller projects. It really does enhance the quality of my life to at least have a little time every day to do something creative.
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

ejanuska

19 Jan 2017

I guess I was too much like water

modecca

19 Jan 2017

ejanuska wrote:I guess I was too much like water
Worked for Bruce.
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

plaamook

19 Jan 2017

modecca wrote:
Worked for Bruce.
I don't know. He died pretty young.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Peter

19 Jan 2017

modecca wrote:When I only have a little time after work to do something creative, I tend to focus on smaller projects. It really does enhance the quality of my life to at least have a little time every day to do something creative.
Mend the nets, sharpen the knives, clean the guns, fortify the bunker, etc.

ejanuska

19 Jan 2017

modecca wrote:
Worked for Bruce.
Wow, someone got it.

gak

19 Jan 2017

modecca wrote:In relation to creativity: How inspired are you today?
For me the last 2 months have been a massive inspiration overload and it takes effort to take a break from it, in order to take care of the other aspects of life.
I envy you. For me there is too much pain to be inspired. But usually if the pain subsides, I'm immediately inspired.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2017

To be honest for me personally I don't put much importance on inspiration or motivation. It feels nice but that's about it. For me discipline is much more important. Now that may sound boring or unartistic or whatever but that's how I feel.

In my own experience feeling inspired or not has little to no effect on how good my music comes out. I can be super inspired and nothing good comes out and other times I've forced creativity with great results.

The way I like to work is to write a bunch of ideas/melodies/riffs/beats/making patches without any judgement on the quality or on the style of music.
I later go back and see if there was something of value there. Maybe that's why forced creativity works for me, because I don't judge the result while working, I just shit out a bunch of ideas and see what sticks. Basically if I've put in the time that day then I'm happy with that regardless if everything I did was pure shit. I know I did my part. There's always the next day.

I've very much of the opinion that if you want to improve as a songwriter, arranger, synth tweaker, mixer you just have to do it A LOT. I've seen some people around me waiting to get inspired before creating. Let's just say that their skills could be at a completely different level if they just got off their asses and started working. And while I've written about 25 tracks during one year they've written maybe 2-5 tracks. Sure not everyone of my 25 songs are gonna be great, but about 5-10 of those will be something I'm really proud of. So in the end I get more value out of discipline or forced creativity.

Of course we're all different and this is what works for me, but I understand that my way is not gonna work for everyone.

Sorry for the rant, I guess the title/question triggered me somehow :)

Peter

20 Jan 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:Sorry for the rant, I guess the title/question triggered me somehow :)
It's all good in the hood - some people need such words. I agree with what you said but I've also realized that everybody is different. You seem like you'd appreciate the writing of Steven Pressfield. The War of Art is like my religion.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2017

Peter wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:Sorry for the rant, I guess the title/question triggered me somehow :)
It's all good in the hood - some people need such words. I agree with what you said but I've also realized that everybody is different. You seem like you'd appreciate the writing of Steven Pressfield. The War of Art is like my religion.
I've heard about the book but I haven't read it myself. I'm probably influenced by it without even knowing it since I've heard youtube educators/tutorial makers mention it.

I did a quick search on youtube and found the audio book. Maybe I'll check it out.

motuscott

20 Jan 2017

Today, January 20 here in the good old US of A,
not very.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? πŸ§‚

Zac

20 Jan 2017

I can't use my REs at present so I'm using bare bones R7.1. I wouldn't say it's been inspiring but it is proving useful. I'm finally making more effort EQing and I'm really getting into programming Thor. My music's taking a new direction too. Kinda Royksopp meets Leftfield (maybe). I'd love to have my REs back but it's nice that I'm still making music anyway.

nooomy

20 Jan 2017

modecca wrote:
nooomy wrote:No inspiration for a month now :( I blame it on my new job
When I only have a little time after work to do something creative, I tend to focus on smaller projects. It really does enhance the quality of my life to at least have a little time every day to do something creative.
Yepp, that is sort of what I'm doing. I creat synth patches and small tutorials instead I need less inspiration to do those things. Although I still miss creating music... Oh well I guess it will come back when spring is here... So short days and dark here in Sweden now....

Marc64

20 Jan 2017

I always get stuck in 125bpm so pretty much all my tracks is in the tempo :)
Thinking of rolling dices to randomize the bpm . That way I might get more inspired :)

Skickat frΓ₯n min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

Peter

20 Jan 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:I'm probably influenced by it without even knowing it since I've heard youtube educators/tutorial makers mention it.

modecca

20 Jan 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:To be honest for me personally I don't put much importance on inspiration or motivation. It feels nice but that's about it. For me discipline is much more important. Now that may sound boring or unartistic or whatever but that's how I feel.

Great answer; Well thought out, honest and most importantly its (as usual) the opposite of my way of doing things!

Polar opposites help me get way more out of life then every body agreeing with me(because i want to constantly improve as a human).

I see I'm pretty heavy on number 1 and need to include number 2 more(balance):

1)Chasing unknown: inspiration,discovery,experimentation,innovation, more is more

2)Working with the known: patience, focus, hard work, long term goals, self control reliable, less is more
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

modecca

20 Jan 2017

Peter wrote:
modecca wrote:When I only have a little time after work to do something creative, I tend to focus on smaller projects. It really does enhance the quality of my life to at least have a little time every day to do something creative.
Mend the nets, sharpen the knives, clean the guns, fortify the bunker, etc.
I have been doing shit tons of that, now I'm more than ready for war. :twisted:
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

Peter

20 Jan 2017

Peter wrote:Mend the nets, sharpen the knives, clean the guns, fortify the bunker, etc.
modecca wrote:I have been doing shit tons of that, now I'm more than ready for war. :twisted:
Me too...

All this talk of inspiration has me fucking inspired and feeling like I'm on the brink of world domination...well maybe just the Reason world. :lol:
Last edited by Peter on 27 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

• Information