Can you match this sound?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
HepCat

16 Jan 2017

Hi there,

I have a sound that l think came from an old Amiga sample disk (you know, the ST-01, ST-02, ST-03 etc. sample disks).

The sample's name is "buzz2".

I have loaded a song l made with it, into OpenMPT and saved the specific sample onto my desktop. However, it saved at a low octave, so l went back to OpenMPT and transposed it 1 octave, then an extra half octave.

Each time l transposed it upward, a little bit of metallic distortion crept in, sorry. The "lower octave" sample was the original render via OpenMPT, all other samples were transposed upward in OpenMPT and thus slightly distorted.

I have also included an example of how the sample actually sounds when used in a melody.

I would dearly like to find a modern equivalent to this sample, not necessarily the exact same sample (although it would be nice - obviously it's from a synth from the 80s or early 90s), but just something near enough that l can use to re-make my song ... because the original sample is only 8-bit and l need something a bit (? try 8 - 16 bits) higher res.

Please see the attached zip folder for the samples and an example of usage - all are tiny .wav files. Don't worry, this is for a good cause, l mean, the song l wish to remake isn't as rubbish as it sounds in the example.
Attachments
buzz2 + Example usage.zip
(50.21 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

HepCat

16 Jan 2017

Here are the online versions of the snippets, you can just stream them:

buzz2 - Lower Octave
buzz2
buzz2 - Mid-Octave
Example

Streaming is ad-free, no sign up, no hassle, but please don't try to download the snippets, as you'll get a [harmless-looking] popup - nobody wants a popup.

normen

18 Jan 2017

This is indeed an 8kHz sample, so there simply is no information above 4kHz (in the base sample, of course there will be higher frequency audio when you play it faster). The bit depth is not an issue here. The "metallic" sound when playing it faster (i.e. when playing higher notes) is simply what it sounds like when played fast. Just like people start to sound like Mickey Mouse (and not like they're just talking fast).

HepCat

18 Jan 2017

normen wrote:This is indeed an 8kHz sample, so there simply is no information above 4kHz
I was hoping it might be possible to extrapolate and reconstructively add information, like how a blurry pixellated image gets turned into a sharp-looking photo in crime thriller movies. It would be nice if that could be done for sound (even if it can't genuinely be done for photo).

normen

18 Jan 2017

HepCat wrote:I was hoping it might be possible to extrapolate and reconstructively add information, like how a blurry pixellated image gets turned into a sharp-looking photo in crime thriller movies. It would be nice if that could be done for sound (even if it can't genuinely be done for photo).
The cameras in Blade Runner do pick up all information, they don't reconstruct ;)

Seriously though, its not really possible. But it should be possible to create a similar sound in Thor or maybe Malström. Or maybe go from a guitar sample and add distortion (sounds like thats what this sample is).

HepCat

18 Jan 2017

Booo. Okay.

I'm going to investigate the Hammond organ. I can definitely hear air in the sound, so it must have an organ element i think (wind or electronic). I know the sort of guitar sound you mean though, and l could start from that too, if desperate.

I'm thinking Hammond + synth string, with the synth string at a low octave, almost like a drone, but not quite a drone, just a menacing low octave.

Catblack

18 Jan 2017

So reading your plight here made me remember something. There's a strange free refill site here, Whoopdee Refills. He's got a refill of a drum being played in a small cave. He mentioned using a tool to de-clip some of the audio. Stand alone version here? I don't know if this would help you in your case, but I'm putting the links here because just maybe.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2017

Sometimes just adding the right distortion can suffice when adding harmonics. Maybe try one of those exciter combis as well and season to taste.

HepCat

23 Jan 2017

Catblack wrote:So reading your plight here made me remember something. There's a strange free refill site here, Whoopdee Refills. He's got a refill of a drum being played in a small cave. He mentioned using a tool to de-clip some of the audio. Stand alone version here? I don't know if this would help you in your case, but I'm putting the links here because just maybe.
Woot! l've downloaded the VST, hopefully l can play with it soon. The examples are beautiful :)
avasopht wrote:Sometimes just adding the right distortion can suffice when adding harmonics. Maybe try one of those exciter combis as well and season to taste.
Hiya, do you have any combis in mind? Links or it didn't happen :)

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2017

HepCat wrote:
avasopht wrote:Sometimes just adding the right distortion can suffice when adding harmonics. Maybe try one of those exciter combis as well and season to taste.
Hiya, do you have any combis in mind? Links or it didn't happen :)
I've attached an exciter combinator from the PUF.

I've not really tried it out, because I tend to make my own chains.
Attachments
TZ Exciter (Highend Sparkle).zip
Reason Exciter Combinator (from the PUF)
(22.1 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

satyr32

16 Apr 2017

wow you can even put three of this combinator in a row for more extreme effects but still usable
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

• Information