Am I the only one dreaming of Reason on Linux, ...?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2016

I know it'll never happen, but who else here uses Linux and would love to be able to dig their teeth into a rack from their favourite distro?

Karim
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2016

You're not alone ... ;)
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

jam-s

02 Dec 2016

Reason is one of the few excuses I still have to keep Windows on my box as well. From a DRM point of view linux support would be possible, as codemeter also supports linux.

plaamook

03 Dec 2016

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I don't mess with linux. And as apple seems to have shit the bed, I'd like to see reason on linux even more.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Gaja

05 Dec 2016

Avasopht aren't you a programmer? Couldn't you write a linux version that runs DAW software natively the way OSx does? When apple goes to crap (which it will probably sooner rather than later) I'll need a solution. And Protools on windows is just too unstable, when running larger projects. I think it's definitely time for a linux distribution made for DAWs.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

HepCat

05 Dec 2016

Can you imagine the endless biching (primarily by me) when Linux users get no audio from Reason, then when they finally do, they get no audio from YouTube? I heard Jack audio is superior to anything on Windows, but l've never figured it out.

By the way, does it work well on WINE? I suppose that uses up an additional install, though :(

jam-s

05 Dec 2016

Reason used to work with wine (with some quirks), but after Record was merged it has not been working. So the latest Version of Reason that runs with wine is Reason 5.
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... on&iId=811

avasopht
Competition Winner

05 Dec 2016

Gaja wrote:Avasopht aren't you a programmer? Couldn't you write a linux version that runs DAW software natively the way OSx does?
It's a can of worms. Wine and React OS are as good as it gets so far and you can't even run Kontakt IIRC. Windows contains lots of undocumented features many programs and drivers make use of, that you can only really know with access to the offending source code. That is why providing backwards compatibility was major source of instability in Windows.

Virtual machines don't seem to handle short and frequent, real-time low latency scheduling well.
HepCat wrote:Can you imagine the endless biching (primarily by me) when Linux users get no audio from Reason, then when they finally do, they get no audio from YouTube? I heard Jack audio is superior to anything on Windows, but l've never figured it out.

By the way, does it work well on WINE? I suppose that uses up an additional install, though :(
You can run Pulse Audio through Jack. This really ought to be the default behavior.

Jack has amazing capabilities. It's like ASIO, Rewire and the rack metaphor combined. Jack also supports any data type between applications. It's synchronisation and stability is also pretty tight and I've found it easier to run at a lower latency than I can in Windows.

Last Alternative

05 Dec 2016

This is the only thing keeping me from switching to Linux.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

theshoemaker

06 Dec 2016

Yes, would really love to, totally. And I don't think it'll be that hard to get it up and running. I can imagine the MacOS version already uses OpenGL to render. I don't think it'll be a compatibility issue, more than a performance one with the audio drivers (if it really is an issue at all). But to be honest, once being on the Mac, I never looked back to Win or Linux in regard to using music making apps
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Gulale

06 Dec 2016

Man I love geeky stuff. I'm on mac but I have three distros of linux on my computer. Fedora, AVlinux and Mint. I use them time to time on Bitwig. Having Reason will be awesome.
Gulale aka Bereket

Marco Raaphorst

06 Dec 2016

What might happen now Microsoft is an official Linux supporter is that it will turn Windows in an open source system OS. I have always thought this would be wise for MS. I always felt after the Internet Explorer disaster that Microsoft should have gone open source, at least for the browser. Quess what? Firefox won! Just what I expected...

Android is open source and for any OS to succeed it needs to be open source. People no longer trust closed source systems because of security issues and governments spying on you. Big markets like Russia and China are using open source OS systems. The world is changing radically. And Apple has a huge problem.

JNeffLind

06 Dec 2016

I'm with you. Especially when Windows 7 gets phased out. I don't like the direction Microsoft OS is going.

decibel

07 Dec 2016

yes please

HepCat

07 Dec 2016

avasopht wrote:
You can run Pulse Audio through Jack. This really ought to be the default behavior.

Jack has amazing capabilities. It's like ASIO, Rewire and the rack metaphor combined. Jack also supports any data type between applications. It's synchronisation and stability is also pretty tight and I've found it easier to run at a lower latency than I can in Windows.
I understand this is childsplay to computer buffs but to newbs like me, things need to just work, and Windows just works.

Coming to think of it, audio does just work with Linux, but l recall some hassle when l exit the DAW l used; l ought to be more clear but l forget the details but it meant that when YouTube was audible, the DAW was not.

Then there's the soundcard support - generally they're unsupported (l hear the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 external audio interface works just great with Ubuntu Linux via Jack audio as driver - but Focusrite themselves say none of their interfaces are supported by Linux).

I do like Linux though, it means a generally safer browsing experience (the internet is a minefield on Windows). BUT ... if Linux became a go-to for productivity (with soundcard and graphics tablet support as standard), l'm pretty sure it would become a prime target for hackers especially ransomware, i.e. that Windows feeling all over again (albeit free!).

I get the impression that specific programs developed for specific use scenarios are used in commercial Linux, but as a general productivity platform, Linux would just become a free Windows.

I think the market may understand this and therefore Linux is where it is now, a sort of twilight zone, the internet facing side of a dual boot system or a platform for a networked database program in a commercial enterprise. Speaking of networking, Linux is more popular than Windows for servers but servers are always getting hammered by threats. An OS sticks its head out too far, this is what happens, that's why l'm beginning to think the low profile twilight zone is actually where Linux is meant to be.

Let me know if you disagree :) Peace

[P.S. Somebody once wrote a funny article on why Linux is "decrepit donkey crap" - http://richardkulisz.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -crap.html - but if you ask me, BSD is that, and Solaris / OpenIndiana is worse, at least Linux can do some productivity software, unlike BSD where one moment you see the App Cafe repo, the next you can't, and with Solaris, how do you even install an app, and where's all the other partitions gone, you can't see them, you're locked in arrrgh pointless installs the lot of them]

ejanuska

12 Dec 2016

I've tried to make the switch to Linux on a number of occasions but there is always some software that I need to run on windows. Reason is one of those items.
Isn't enough that it runs on Apple products?

Maxsu

18 Dec 2016

Nowadays all other Platforms get really spyi and opaque I really would love to set my workplace to another OS then OSX or Windows. They do what they want and we have less control about many things so yes, it would be a great port :)

cheers

Kaosis

27 Dec 2016

HepCat wrote: ...
I do like Linux though, it means a generally safer browsing experience (the internet is a minefield on Windows). BUT ... if Linux became a go-to for productivity (with soundcard and graphics tablet support as standard), l'm pretty sure it would become a prime target for hackers especially ransomware, i.e. that Windows feeling all over again (albeit free!).
it has more to do with popularity on the user end than it does the productivity side. That's why the internet is becoming more and more dangerous for Mac, the more people have grow to love macbook blah blah the more malware they get.

As for windows, I guess I'm just really lucky when I go for my daily jog through the minefield lol. I haven't really hit any malware in... tbh I can't recall ever having any major malware on my PC and I've using these things w/o anti-virus software for about a billion and a half years (most of which has been done with black sails software).

As to the OP, more choice is always nice, even if I don't use linux because of my gaming habits.

ckoehler

12 Mar 2018

I would also welcome Reason on Linux.
:reason: Reason 10 @ Windows 10

aeox
Competition Winner

12 Mar 2018

Karim wrote:
02 Dec 2016
You're not alone ... ;)

normen

12 Mar 2018

Totally, especially as Reason is (was?) a closed system, you could have brought all devices over in one fell swoop. With other DAWs you always have the issue that you'd get the DAW but not the plugins.

bxbrkrz

12 Mar 2018

normen wrote:
12 Mar 2018
Totally, especially as Reason is (was?) a closed system, you could have brought all devices over in one fell swoop. With other DAWs you always have the issue that you'd get the DAW but not the plugins.
I remember suggesting a Reason OS back in PUF time (maybe around Reason 6), built in something no bigger than an Apple TV, a mini pc. But nowadays with an audio card and a few ports (multiple HDMI outs, Internet updates, direct Reason Store portal, link to reasontalk.com why not).
The idea was to copy https://ubuntustudio.org/about-ubuntustudio/ but with Reason.

Reason-In-A-Box.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Oquasec

12 Mar 2018

Reason after 5 on linux? well that would make me use windows less.
Last edited by Oquasec on 14 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EdGrip

14 Mar 2018

I would like to live in a Linux world. Until the creative software devs take an interest, it's hard to see how to do that.
In the meantime, I've thankfully been very lucky with Windows, and with malware and stability. I may not have always had the fastest computer (I remember sitting there staring at the progress bar in pirated Photoshop whenever I applied a filter) but the computers have always been reliable. I don't have the animosity towards Windows that hardened IT people have, because it's always basically been fine, for me.

moneykube

14 Mar 2018

https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

• Information