Lets be honest :)

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Tom_Har

30 Oct 2016

What do you think guys i now this is kind of strange question :) but i was thinking does "prohibited substances" you know what i mean :mrgreen: can help you in creativity?

Benedict
Competition Winner

30 Oct 2016

I used to have people tell me I was the lesser for not partaking of the demon drink/week/powder/tab...

My take is it lets many people give themselves permission to be interesting (or absolute a-holes) but it can never create something that isn't there. Each to their own.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Gorgon

30 Oct 2016

Tom_Har wrote:What do you think guys i now this is kind of strange question :) but i was thinking does "prohibited substances" you know what i mean :mrgreen: can help you in creativity?
Oh definitely. I used to smoke weed while I was composing, it helped me a lot. I can get distracted easily and lose focus and the weed helped me to stay "in the zone" so to speak. Now I really have to concentrate to not lose focus since I do not smoke it anymore. I can't smoke it anymore because it doesn't work like it used to, I get nervous and anxious from it now. I do miss it sometimes.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Gulale

30 Oct 2016

Gorgon wrote: I get nervous and anxious from it now. I do miss it sometimes.
I gotta ask you. Do you mix it with other substances like cigarette and booze? I see most of the time miss using of weed than using it. It is my meditation tool. No cigarette no booze with Ganja. Ganja is my meditation tool than my recreation. I stay in silence and remember the creator of the universe. while I drink my Ganja tea, while I eat my Ganja bread and while I smoke sometimes for meditation purpose. No mixing! I only drink booz once in 6 or 7 month. Only for the sake of business. Ganja it is my food.
Gulale aka Bereket

Tom_Har

30 Oct 2016

I dont know but i think when im smoking ganja like i can hear and feel more of music and just more concentrated :D

motuscott

30 Oct 2016

Different strokes for different folks. We don't all have to be the same.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

8cros

30 Oct 2016

I like how hemp changes the track that you did without it.
This is a very important assessment of your creativity.
It is not necessary to use it to concentrate at work, there is a danger that it will become a regular doping for you.
Chances are you more suited Yerba Mate or Coffee. :puf_bigsmile:
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

jappe

30 Oct 2016

Anyone who has problems with creativity and getting distracted easily should really consider trying Mindfulness.
There are side effects, but they are awesome.
This is really what this song of mine is about:

selig
RE Developer

30 Oct 2016

Benedict wrote:I used to have people tell me I was the lesser for not partaking of the demon drink/week/powder/tab...

My take is it lets many people give themselves permission to be interesting (or absolute a-holes) but it can never create something that isn't there. Each to their own.

My 2 cents…
No creative technique or substance can create something that isn't there, from meditation, to Oblique Strategies, to The Artist's Way, to a six-pack ("chorus in a can" as one friend used to call beer), etc.

What they all have in common IMO is that, when they work, what they actually do is remove the obstacles to our natural creative inclinations. In other words, none of these techniques/substances/etc. make you more creative, they simply make you less resistant to creativity! In my experience, of course.
Selig Audio, LLC

cr1st0

30 Oct 2016

Usually people with boring life's are the ones who take drugs, my advice is... no matter how boring is your life, try to find your way without drugs, it will damage your health in long term, give walk in the nature, meditate, hear music and relaxing chill out music, take a deep breath, take trips, go to visit stuff and other cultures, go to decent and healthy events that you like for example audio and music conferences or expositions, turn off the television, don't hear marketing music to make buy stuff you don't need, my only drug is coffee and even that I will pass it someday, beer is legal, but it is how government sedate masses to support boring and mediocre jobs without conditions, (drink coffee in the morning, drink whisky at night to sedate you and make you sleep well, to do your job for 8 hours, be a well oiled machine...when you will get older watch tv and buy stuff that is perfect for the fat cats), avoid the traps, live longer, leave a good legacy for your family.
:reason: Reason 4 User

Peter

30 Oct 2016

cr1st0 wrote:Usually people with boring life's are the ones who take drugs
That sounds like something an Amish person would say.

motuscott

30 Oct 2016

"chorus in a can"
tee hee
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Gorgon

30 Oct 2016

cr1st0 wrote:Usually people with boring life's are the ones who take drugs, my advice is
Newsflash, nobody cares, pal.

And it's "lives" by the way. Seems that people without drugs have a poor grasp on the language.
Last edited by Gorgon on 31 Oct 2016, edited 1 time in total.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

raymondh

30 Oct 2016

selig wrote:
Benedict wrote:I used to have people tell me I was the lesser for not partaking of the demon drink/week/powder/tab...

My 2 cents…
No creative technique or substance can create something that isn't there, from meditation, to Oblique Strategies, to The Artist's Way, to a six-pack ("chorus in a can" as one friend used to call beer), etc.

What they all have in common IMO is that, when they work, what they actually do is remove the obstacles to our natural creative inclinations. In other words, none of these techniques/substances/etc. make you more creative, they simply make you less resistant to creativity! In my experience, of course.
I agree.

When you are quite an analytical person, it's almost like the 'logical brain' spends much of it's energy keeping the 'imaginative brain' in check.
That cool melody that popped into your head can be quickly shut down by the logical brain that determined it had no artistic merit and would never get many soundcloud likes :)

There are a lot of good techniques to learn how to 'go with the flow'.

cr1st0

30 Oct 2016

I was young and naïve too :)
:reason: Reason 4 User

selig
RE Developer

30 Oct 2016

raymondh wrote:
selig wrote:

My 2 cents…

I agree.

When you are quite an analytical person, it's almost like the 'logical brain' spends much of it's energy keeping the 'imaginative brain' in check.
That cool melody that popped into your head can be quickly shut down by the logical brain that determined it had no artistic merit and would never get many soundcloud likes :)

The main one that works for me is to ignore the logical brain during the "idea generation" process (it almost always gets in the way of that process, as you mentioned), and then use it to assemble all the pieces that are generated (something the logical brain is good at!). :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

30 Oct 2016

Tom_Har wrote:What do you think guys i now this is kind of strange question :) but i was thinking does "prohibited substances" you know what i mean :mrgreen: can help you in creativity?
I think creativity is something you have or haven't got personally but some of those old rave tunes from 89-93 make me think, knowing what was going on at the time. They're just so darn good and fit perfectly with someone's mind in those kind of clubs.
Last edited by Creativemind on 30 Oct 2016, edited 3 times in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Benedict
Competition Winner

30 Oct 2016

selig wrote:
raymondh wrote:
selig wrote:

My 2 cents…

I agree.

The main one that works for me is to ignore the logical brain during the "idea generation" process (it almost always gets in the way of that process, as you mentioned), and then use it to assemble all the pieces that are generated (something the logical brain is good at!). :)
I like my logical brain (as an Aspie I have little choice) but like anything Mr Logical is best when directed. Same with Mr Emotional. Worrying about how it might not get likes on Soundcloud is Mr Emotional. The more I learn the more I can let go and let what I want to say to the universe come out at least vaguely resembling my intentions.

Now if I could only manage that in the real world... LOL

As for drugs (including excessive meditation) I think they do damage to the above process.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

jonheal

30 Oct 2016

Creativemind wrote:
I think creativity is something you have or haven't got personally.
Everyone may have some, to one degree or another, in one area or another, but yes, some people obviously soar WAY above everyone else. I'm sure hard work and persistence (obsessiveness?) have a lot to do with it, but one's apportionment of creativity is not an insignificant factor.

Since there is no practical way to quantify creativity other than to simply recognize it, I don't know how you could quantify drug or alcohol's effect upon it.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Creativemind

30 Oct 2016

Creativity can get better as well. I've been playing guitar and making music / writing songs for just over 18 years now and learning production with a daw for 4 years. I've improved so much at knowing what chords to use with what chords and how to sing over the top etc etc and not to mention the advantage of using software has thrown into the mix has done with all the effects and enhancements you can add to stir those creative juices.

Like with not playing bass and having to manually play one on songs using a midi controller via say the NN-XT or ID8 and learning how to sequence drums to lift tracks up or create the feel I want. Sometimes something (maybe a happy accident) can change where a song goes or the arrangement can take a different direction.

So for me personally my creativity has definitely improved over the years.

Creativemind

30 Oct 2016

I did read a book once with a picture of John Lennon on the front and it was something to do with being able to learn creativity. Can't really remember it. Must have a scour of the tinterweb see if I can find out what it was. Hmmm!
Last edited by Creativemind on 30 Oct 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

30 Oct 2016

jonheal wrote:Everyone may have some, to one degree or another, in one area or another, but yes, some people obviously soar WAY above everyone else.
Yes, I know I'm quoting extremes here but Paul McCartney and John Lennon spring to mind. Paul McCartney could fart and it would be a number 1 hit lol!

Olivier

30 Oct 2016

Gorgon wrote:
cr1st0 wrote:Usually people with boring life's are the ones who take drugs, my advice is
Newsflash, nobody cares. Idiot.

And it's "lives" by the way. Seems that people without drugs have a poor grasp on the language.
Again a reminder that namecalling is NOT allowed, not even in the kitchen.
Please revisit https://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.ph ... ig#p289235
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

gak

31 Oct 2016

It's not is-all, end-all.

First and foremost, I'm voting for the legalization of "you know what" in the election. 8 years ago, it's FAILED. Why? Because kalifonia is in ignorant idiot sea of hypocrisy that doesn't understand the difference between a joint, and a republican ( do some research if you don't believe me )

Now, personally, I haven't smoked dope or anything "illegal" in 25 years. Doesn't mean I'm not hip. I just don't want to go to jail. No, "medical" pot and the bullshit law within doesn't count, for obvious reasons.

Again, I'll be voting for it, we'll see.

Oh, no, I don't think it helps 99.9% of people. They "think" so, but no.

• Information