Windows 10 disaster...need to vent...

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
jappe

13 Oct 2016

So I was in the middle of a creative flow, all of a sudden - zero warning - while recording in Reason 10, The screen went red and in the middle of that: "Windows restarting..."

What On Earth Is Microsoft Doing?

I recalled an annoying question some half hour ago about a restart, and I pressed "Later"...and now without warning...this piece of shit restarts and proceeds with installing patches.

Oh please let there be a special place in hell for the persons responsible for that horrible design.
I'd never dream of them doing something like that without warning.

...and now it's "working on updates"...taking ages...
I need to hit something but I don't know what.
Last edited by jappe on 13 Oct 2016, edited 1 time in total.

jonheal

13 Oct 2016

I had a machine reboot on me yesterday, closing several applications in an unseemly fashion. I immediately went to the Windows Update settings page to select "let me choose when to reboot," but that option is now gone as far as I can see.

I guess they are taking the "nothing trumps security" position.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

jappe

13 Oct 2016

jonheal wrote:I had a machine reboot on me yesterday, closing several applications in an unseemly fashion. I immediately went to the Windows Update settings page to select "let me choose when to reboot," but that option is now gone as far as I can see.

I guess they are taking the "nothing trumps security" position.
This is actually the first time it happens to me - is this some kind of super urgent catastrophe patch or related to some Microsoft malware scanner actually finding some malware!?
Microsoft sabotaged my work, and they'll better have a very good reason for it.

Koncide

13 Oct 2016

Had this the other day on my gaming rig. Was in the middle of a firefight on Red Orchestra 2 and the next minute it's gone.

It's really irritating and rather intrusive. Read an article recently about how Cortana tracks all of your searches and sends them direct to Microsoft so it's not the only dick move on their part, though this can and should be turned off imo. What I search for is between me and the Big Brother that is Google :lol:
Ambient garage vibes.

jappe

13 Oct 2016

Koncide wrote:Had this the other day on my gaming rig. Was in the middle of a firefight on Red Orchestra 2 and the next minute it's gone.

It's really irritating and rather intrusive. Read an article recently about how Cortana tracks all of your searches and sends them direct to Microsoft so it's not the only dick move on their part, though this can and should be turned off imo. What I search for is between me and the Big Brother that is Google :lol:
The amount of fury that causes, they must have anticipated that, but still they do it?
I think I'm missing some crucial information in order to understand the rationale for this.

A less horrible solution would be to spawn a huge system modal dialogue with an OK button for the restart - so ppl at least can save their work.
Last edited by jappe on 13 Oct 2016, edited 1 time in total.

jonheal

13 Oct 2016

What they at least need to do is save the current state of your machine to disk and then restore it after the reboot. It wouldn't help a live recording session, but it would be a step in the right direction.

jappe

13 Oct 2016

jonheal wrote:What they at least need to do is save the current state of your machine to disk and then restore it after the reboot. It wouldn't help a live recording session, but it would be a step in the right direction.
That would help.

...and nowafter long time I got "Hi....blabla...getting things ready...."
It's running a frikken new Windows 10 install it seems?
I really hope they didn't wipe my machine - but why the "new installation" intro if not

Damn, I need to calm down and I can't find a zen-smiley

kuhliloach

13 Oct 2016

Remember Windows 7 is still a good alternative for your main production machine if Windows 10 becomes too much of a nuisance. It runs Reason 9 perfectly without hassle.

I see no value in installing Windows 10 on any of my own hand built systems, but I might consider a Surface at some point that comes pre-loaded with Windows 10.

pushedbutton

13 Oct 2016

There's some bullshit 'active hours' settings that you can set in the update settings.
If a restart is required during your active hours it will just give you a prompt and won't do it until you agree to it.
Why it can't just wait till you give it affirmative consent I don't know, but if you set your active hours from 6am to 5am it should only do this to you when you should be sleeping anyhow.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

sumusik

13 Oct 2016

pushedbutton wrote:but if you set your active hours from 6am to 5am it should only do this to you when you should be sleeping anyhow.
I was literally just checking this 2 days ago and you can only set active hours in a max of an 8 hour span so 6am-5am won't work. It really sucks.

jonheal

13 Oct 2016

jappe wrote:
jonheal wrote:What they at least need to do is save the current state of your machine to disk and then restore it after the reboot. It wouldn't help a live recording session, but it would be a step in the right direction.
That would help.

I really hope they didn't wipe my machine - but why the "new installation" intro if not

You just got the "Anniversary Update," which, yes, is like a brand new Windows. I think they now refer to big updates like this as "feature updates." A little late now, but you can defer feature updates in the settings window.

jonheal

13 Oct 2016

sumusik wrote:
pushedbutton wrote:but if you set your active hours from 6am to 5am it should only do this to you when you should be sleeping anyhow.
I was literally just checking this 2 days ago and you can only set active hours in a max of an 8 hour span so 6am-5am won't work. It really sucks.
You WILL be updated. Resistance is futile.

jappe

13 Oct 2016

pushedbutton wrote:There's some bullshit 'active hours' settings that you can set in the update settings.
If a restart is required during your active hours it will just give you a prompt and won't do it until you agree to it.
Why it can't just wait till you give it affirmative consent I don't know, but if you set your active hours from 6am to 5am it should only do this to you when you should be sleeping anyhow.
Hmm...thanks for the tip, gonna check; perhaps I have tampered those settings

pushedbutton

13 Oct 2016

sumusik wrote:
That's odd cos I set mine from 16:00 to 02:00, that's 10 hours.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

gak

13 Oct 2016

Whatever to anything positive.

Most complained about "feature" in win10, the constant and never-ending/non-stoppable updates.

Windows response? Make it even harder to stop the updates!

jappe

14 Oct 2016

jonheal wrote:
jappe wrote:
That would help.

You just got the "Anniversary Update," which, yes, is like a brand new Windows. I think they now refer to big updates like this as "feature updates." A little late now, but you can defer feature updates in the settings window.
Ah that one... I wondered why I hadn't got that yet since it has been out for a while.

Thank God I didn't change to win10 on my other machine.
This is actually pushing me towards Mac... I can't have a studio machine that I can't control, that's just too much.

16BitBear

14 Oct 2016

jappe wrote:So I was in the middle of a creative flow, all of a sudden - zero warning - while recording in Reason 10, The screen went red and in the middle of that: "Windows restarting..."

I recalled an annoying question some half hour ago about a restart, and I pressed "Later"...and now without warning...this piece of shit restarts and proceeds with installing patches.

Oh please let there be a special place in hell for the persons responsible for that horrible design.

Post Windows 10 Anniversary Update, the only solution I have found to control this problem is setting your network connection to metered. This forces Windows Update to wait to restart until you allow it to do so. It will still download updates and install them in the background but it won't suddenly reboot like this.

If you are on Wifi, it is very easy. Just go to the Wifi settings panel and look for meter connection and toggle it on. If you are on ethernet, you have to use the registry hack detailed here. It won't show up in the Updates Panel as being on a metered connection but it works nonetheless.

http://www.howtogeek.com/262477/how-to- ... -8-and-10/

Gorgon

14 Oct 2016

Make sure you have less than 20 Gb of free space on your C drive, stops it as well. :D
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

sumusik

14 Oct 2016

pushedbutton wrote:
sumusik wrote:
Interesting. I will have to revisit. Maybe I was mistaken. I surely hope so.

jonheal

14 Oct 2016

Maybe I am a masochist, but I still like Windows 10, and would recommend it. :)

jonheal

14 Oct 2016

gak wrote:Whatever to anything positive.

Most complained about "feature" in win10, the constant and never-ending/non-stoppable updates.

Windows response? Make it even harder to stop the updates!

That kitten has a nice plump tummy.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2016

sumusik wrote:
pushedbutton wrote:
sumusik wrote:
Interesting. I will have to revisit. Maybe I was mistaken. I surely hope so.
Max is a 12 hours span... Why only 12 !!!!!!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2016

DJBuddhaBear wrote:
jappe wrote:So I was in the middle of a creative flow, all of a sudden - zero warning - while recording in Reason 10, The screen went red and in the middle of that: "Windows restarting..."

Post Windows 10 Anniversary Update, the only solution I have found to control this problem is setting your network connection to metered. This forces Windows Update to wait to restart until you allow it to do so. It will still download updates and install them in the background but it won't suddenly reboot like this.
Glad it works however it does not make any sense, I could understand if it controlled when you downloaded the updates as that is directly related to metered connection, but why control when to reboot as I don't see the relationship there !!!??? (that is more of a statement so I'm not expecting an answer to the way MS thoughts work)

I am Windows person through and through however this week I had to rebuild my Windows 10 laptop, it was stuck on a blank screen for ages, could have been doing updates but my brain was not in gear being it was 3 am so I powered it off and it would not boot backup again into Windows no matter what I tried (went to the recovery screen where I checked the BCD, sfc, restored an old set of registries etc etc etc), been using Windows since Windows 3 and this is my first real crash that I have not been able to recover from.... Side note: I was thinking about rebuilding that laptop, shame I had to do it on my holiday on a very very slow connection, but I had Windows up and running with a hour or so with Reason installed (thankfully the reset option I went for did backup my RE folder which I just copied back so I did not have re-download that lot, with the connection I was on it would have taken days and days.....)....

Koncide

15 Oct 2016

jonheal wrote:You WILL be updated. Resistance is futile.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ambient garage vibes.

gak

16 Oct 2016

Koncide wrote:
jonheal wrote:You WILL be updated. Resistance is futile.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You laugh, but it's true!

• Information