Does Reason 9 sound the same as earlier versions

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
ambeant

14 Jul 2016

Is it better or the same? still lacking that special something

Raveshaper

14 Jul 2016

MannequinRaces wrote:Wait for it...
Did somebody say "thread lock"?
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Last Alternative

14 Jul 2016

You mean the Reason sound?
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

WongoTheSane

14 Jul 2016

troll.jpg
troll.jpg (190.29 KiB) Viewed 2207 times

Dante

14 Jul 2016

DAWS shouldn't have a sound - the sound is from how you use it.

ambeant

14 Jul 2016

Last Alternative wrote:You mean the Reason sound?
Does the Reason sound = lack of that special something, that pleasantry to the ears?

Jmax

14 Jul 2016

No it sounds horrible.

Last Alternative

15 Jul 2016

I used to think there was a Reason sound and I guess there is if all you use is preset patches then your music will be recognizable as being made in Reason. But if you write with your own style and record instruments, vocals, use non-Reason drum samples, etc. then it's anyone's guess what DAW you used. It's all how you record and mix. Also depends on the quality of your interface, microphones, cables, etc.
I do know there have been a few experiments with DAWs that proved there is no such thing as a Reason sound as far as the audio signature goes.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

JCBendock

15 Jul 2016

You will be pleased to hear that Reason 9 has included 100's of 1 click anthem sounds , Now anyone can replicate their favorite club sounds without any effort...if that's your thing. But that's not all, you can also use the "New Players" to create one button anthem hits!!! So yeah they've fixed it, now anyone novice to advanced can make amazing sounding tracks. Ironically while I'm being somewhat sarcastic to counter your motives, everything I've said is 100% true.

WillyOD

15 Jul 2016

Even at zero levels I can hear that Reason sound kicking in and messing the silence with its weirdness coloring factor.

What is probably lacking is user skill. Pick your tools, no matter what they are, and learn them properly. PS. It takes (a lot of) time (and effort).
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

Ostermilk

15 Jul 2016

ambeant wrote:
Last Alternative wrote:You mean the Reason sound?
Does the Reason sound = lack of that special something, that pleasantry to the ears?
Reason 9 sounds as tasty as a fine havana cigar gently moistened with the tears of angels.

normen

15 Jul 2016

They updated the *audio engine* to have more *warmth*, *air* and *fatness*. They took cues from *vintage* gear, *analog* synthesizers and *organic* matter. Even without any composition, arrangement or mixing skills your songs will sound *sublime*.

jam-s

15 Jul 2016

They also made some nude virgins reprogramm the final mixdown stage.

jonheal

15 Jul 2016

To me, everything that comes out of Reason 9 sounds like this toy I had as a kid. It was round with pictures of different animals arranged in a circle around a spinnable arrow. You would turn the arrow to point at a particular animal, and then pull a string on its side and the toy would make the sound of a cat being stepped on or a cow giving birth to a cinder block.

In short, Ambeant, I think you will be very happy with the REASON 9 SOUND. It sounds even better if you buy 10 copies and run them all at once. In fact, you kind of have to because Reason 9 can load only one instrument at a time.

Also, buy 10 copies of the download version -- NOT boxed. I found out the hard way; the boxed version has Herpes.
Last edited by jonheal on 15 Jul 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

boobytrap

15 Jul 2016

troll.jpg
troll.jpg (189.49 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Kov

15 Jul 2016

normen wrote:They updated the *audio engine* to have more *warmth*, *air* and *fatness*. They took cues from *vintage* gear, *analog* synthesizers and *organic* matter. Even without any composition, arrangement or mixing skills your songs will sound *sublime*.
That's because default tune is now A = 432 Hz

Noplan
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2016

Marco Raaphorst

15 Jul 2016

try to sober up. drunk, Reason sounds weird indeed.

Gorgon

16 Jul 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:try to sober up. drunk, Reason sounds weird indeed.
Ask Heikki if you don't believe that. :twisted:
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Jul 2016

ambeant wrote:Is it better or the same? still lacking that special something
You mean sound banks? Or are you referring to the myth of the Reason sound?

For sound banks: all depends on the sound you're after. You can load any wave, there's convolution, FET compressor, multi oscillator synths.

For "DAW sound": non existent. DSP is well understood and the job of the DAW (summing signals) if trivial and done EXACTLY the same in every DAW. Sample playback is also trivial. Synthesis is trivial. Aliasing is the only thing to overcome, and Thor has clean wavetable oscillators while virus happily aliased. There are also Rack Extensions with oversampling.

There are Rack Extensions too. Their sound is determined solely by the developer. VST does not offer any greater sound capability whatsoever. It can't either.

All you can do is pick and tweak your sounds to taste. Take responsibility for your sound and you can achieve your desired sound. P.s. Anaconda producer, World Changer uses Reason. So it's all down to what YOU do, not the DAW.

Skullture

18 Jul 2016

Where's my "Son, this is bait" meme?

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Jul 2016

Skullture wrote:Where's my "Son, this is bait" meme?
People can be misinformed.

Aasmund1986

19 Jul 2016

I could hear a Reason track, anywhere.
Reason 10 Intro
Parsec, Europa, Antidote, Predator, PX7, 4MER, eXpanse, SynthMaster One, ReSpire

joeyluck

19 Jul 2016

Reason did used to have a sound. It was called just using Subtractor and Redrum and NN19 etc...
And it was related to people using the built-in samples and presets. Just the same as I can spot a song made with most any other synth.

The instruments themselves, as instruments do, have characteristics of their own. And earlier versions had less mixing options (and of course, no Rack Extensions). It makes sense that you could spot something made with Reason in it's earlier days.

But the audio itself has never had 'a sound.' ;)

• Information