Website builders? Wix vs. Weebly vs. Wordpress vs. Google Sites, etc.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
joeyluck

09 Mar 2016

What are you using and what do you prefer?
What are the pros and cons you find with each?

If you are not a genius website creator/developer, it can be difficult to make a nice looking site from scratch that is also easy to update.
Or at least so I feel...

In the past, I typically used Google Sites. It's free, it's easy, no annoying ads, no charge to connect a domain, etc.
But it lacks features. It's pretty basic, but it works for most things.

I have been looking at other site builders. Wix was the first on my list. My website http://www.joeyluck.com is currently being forwarded and masked to my Wix page. Which works for me for now because it's only one page. They charge to connect a domain. Take a look and let me know what you think. I have not created a mobile version yet (I turned that off as it needed attention first). But at least on my phone, it's a desktop view, but doesn't load animations.

Looking at the premium plans http://www.wix.com/upgrade/website; the only other thing from Wix I'm interested in is removing the ads and connecting the domain. I don't need all the storage, extra bandwidth, apps, etc. So none of the plans seem to be up my alley. But I am considering it as there is a promotion https://www.wix.com/support/html5/artic ... promotions. It makes the 'Unlimited' plan $102.99/year. About $50 off and cheaper than the 'Combo' plans. It works out to be about $8.58/month, but you have to pay for the year up front.

Wix by far has the most obstrusive ads out of all of these site building options that remain at the top and the bottom. It also lacks the ability to embed a music player that always lives at the top or bottom. Which to me is a downside as that is optimal for a music website; for your visitor to always have access to the player.

But I do like the parallax scrolling and animations. Although I may have gone over board? I'm not the best website designer. I typically do like to try and keep things simple. The drag and drop interface is quick and easy though. Weebly has a similar interface. A downside of Wix is you can't change themes. But not sure I would ever need to. I would probably just build a new site if I wanted something different.

Some folks say that Wordpress is the most flexible in terms of being able to enter your own code, but that it also is not as straight forward.
I'm also not ruling out sticking with Google Sites, because of some of the things I'd be willing to pay for (remove ads, connect domain, include a favicon, etc.) Google Sites provides for free. There is a tiny link at the bottom of pages for 'Google Sites' and it isn't embedded to always be viewed at the bottom. You barely notice it.

I figured I might do the rounds and try to create a site on a few more. But wanted to see what some of your opinions are.
Other than free, if paying money for ~$100/year, what do you recommend?

Thanks!

Benedict
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2016

I have had my Wordpress site for longer than any other solution I have ever used. Far as I am concerned go that way, use their servers and you only pay for your domain (till you get huge anyway) and it is rock solid and well supported.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

QVprod

09 Mar 2016

I'm currently using Weebly, The website builder on Wix seems to be a bit more flexible but both allow for input of html code if you end up hiring someone in the future. Ultimately, Weebly is considerably cheaper if you have minimal needs and just mainly want to connect a domain. Wordpress on the other hand isn't nearly as user friendly as the other two mentioned.

Theres also this newer webhost called Page Cloud which I think out classes all the others https://vimeo.com/127926346

alexalex

12 Oct 2017

I have spent a bit of time trying both Wix & Squarespace and LOVE the way Wix works and looks. It's free but offers a possibility to upgrade (if I need of course) . Here is a great unbiased comparison of free website builders - http://www.beautifullife.info/web-desig ... -builders/. Hope this points you in the right direction!

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2017

I don't use builders myself but I do recommend squarespace for ease of use, quality of templates and how likely you are to end up with a site resembling the demos.

Sorped

18 Oct 2017

I recommend squarespace too, easy to use and looks good. And the integration of elements like a shop etc is excellent.
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

LiberalTugboat

19 Oct 2017

Another vote for Squarespace. The available options and page templates are great.

• Information