F.....ing soundcloud, it all sounds the same GRR!

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
gak

15 Dec 2015

I was going to put this in the "music" section but was afraid it would be moved. But it deserves our attention.

EVERYTHING ON SOUNDCLOUD SOUNDS THE SAME no matter how much care the creator has put into the production.

Listening to your guys's music is great. Really nothing that doesn't deserve attention. All kinds, all styles, nice stuff.

BUT IT ALL "SOUNDS" THE SAME :x :x

:x

I get sick of it. Everytime I listen to soundcloud it's the same. A person puts up their production, has the same sound. A person puts up a song, SAME. Sound examples from companies selling products. DITTO! :x

Get's old. That same, icky, lifeless, BLECK.

dvdrtldg

15 Dec 2015

Reading between the lines, I think what you're trying to tell us is that everything on SoundCloud sounds the same?

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Dec 2015

So what is the real concern? Are you saying a) SC wrecks the mix or is it that most artists are b) making lifeless music?

a) sure mp3 does damage but if it wrecks the mix then either the listener is being too pedantic or the mix is poor in the first place and can't translate to the real world well.

b) I agree that much of what is released both by independent (no record co) and commercial acts is hampered by the sense that everything has to be over-produced. People said this in the 80's comparing acts like Thompson Twins or Flock of Seagulls to Dylan or Springsteen but IMO all of those records have far greater life than just about anything I hear today.

I recently bought an 80's Retro sounding album off Bandcamp as dipping-in the sound was cool. However on listening to the record it was sorely disappointing as all the songs started with an interesting idea but finished half way through as the artist saw no need to develop past the initial idea and let-go 2 minutes in. This to me represents what is wrong with most post-Nirvana music as the artists have forgotten that art is about telling a story which contains a place, action, reaction and resolution.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

gak

15 Dec 2015

It doesn't matter what the creator does. Once it's uploaded it has the same awful sound.

Wook

15 Dec 2015

gak wrote:It doesn't matter what the creator does. Once it's uploaded it has the same awful sound.
So, you're saying it's all made in Reason?

Skullture

15 Dec 2015

So nothing blows you away anymore? Admit you're kind of vague ;)

raymondh

15 Dec 2015

I wouldn't go so far to say it sounds the same (!), but I agree you lose some of the magic with the lossy transcoding.

That's why I only buy music from iTunes when I can't find it on CD or download uncompressed (more correctly, it can be compressed but only with lossless compression like FLAC).

I'd much rather buy a CD, then rip to FLAC in my collection (then tuck my CD away before the kids destroy it). Then I know I'm listening to the music the way it had been intended.

I have another theory too. I think the generation of streaming music listeners generally are not great at delaying gratification. If the song doesn't immediately grab them, they "skip" to the next song. When you actually buy music, you have some skin in the game and it forces you to listen at least a couple of times to tracks that you might otherwise skip, since you are financially invested. That's when you appreciate the 'growers' which can continue to resonate with you for years after you've forgotten the candy tracks. And these days we are bombarded by music - some good and some bad. There is no (record company / radio station) filters - for better or worse.

moneykube

15 Dec 2015

some stuff yes... some stuff not so much :arrow: :arrow: :!:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Skullture

16 Dec 2015

gak wrote:I was going to put this in the "music" section but was afraid it would be moved. But it deserves our attention.

EVERYTHING ON SOUNDCLOUD SOUNDS THE SAME no matter how much care the creator has put into the production.

Listening to your guys's music is great. Really nothing that doesn't deserve attention. All kinds, all styles, nice stuff.

BUT IT ALL "SOUNDS" THE SAME :x :x

:x

I get sick of it. Everytime I listen to soundcloud it's the same. A person puts up their production, has the same sound. A person puts up a song, SAME. Sound examples from companies selling products. DITTO! :x

Get's old. That same, icky, lifeless, BLECK.

gak

16 Dec 2015

I don't know what you are going about skullture.

As far as the soundcloud sound (and discover is the same) it all has that lame no gloss/no polish sound.

Again, doesn't matter if it is a synth patch, a song, a beat, whatever. Once it gets onto soundcloud/discover it sounds like it's mixed/master by the same person.

esselfortium

16 Dec 2015

For the skeptics here, you can easily tell when something has been filtered through a sound cloud because of the water vapor residue left on it. (Examine the waveform for droplets of condensation) Sound clouds can also contain other music-affecting components, due to the dispersal of chem trails to control the populace by making music sound or taste different. For more information about sound clouds, visit my sound cloud truth blog at http://www.sound cloud
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

gak

16 Dec 2015

esselfortium wrote:For the skeptics here, you can easily tell when something has been filtered through a sound cloud because of the water vapor residue left on it. (Examine the waveform for droplets of condensation) Sound clouds can also contain other music-affecting components, due to the dispersal of chem trails to control the populace by making music sound or taste different. For more information about sound clouds, visit my sound cloud truth blog at http://www.sound cloud
You must be confusing that with your strain! :mrgreen:

gak

16 Dec 2015

raymondh wrote:Image
:lol:

But if there was that much difference, then I wouldn't have started this thread :D

raymondh

17 Dec 2015

I couldn't resist :)
Very funny movie if you haven't seen it!

gak

17 Dec 2015

The expression on his face after he gets laid is priceless.

raymondh

17 Dec 2015

gak wrote:The expression on his face after he gets laid is priceless.
Yeah, and some great quotes too

Arnie "I hate violence"
DeVito "But you're so good at it!"

Jagwah

17 Dec 2015

Benedict wrote:This to me represents what is wrong with most post-Nirvana music as the artists have forgotten that art is about telling a story which contains a place, action, reaction and resolution.

I know you already have an article on this subject, but being such an interesting one I was hoping you might like to go more in depth on the issue and write more about it sometime. :thumbs_up:

Skullture

17 Dec 2015

gak wrote:I don't know what you are going about skullture.

As far as the soundcloud sound (and discover is the same) it all has that lame no gloss/no polish sound.

Again, doesn't matter if it is a synth patch, a song, a beat, whatever. Once it gets onto soundcloud/discover it sounds like it's mixed/master by the same person.
Because the bitrate drops to 128kb/s?

Benedict
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2015

Jagwah wrote:
Benedict wrote:This to me represents what is wrong with most post-Nirvana music as the artists have forgotten that art is about telling a story which contains a place, action, reaction and resolution.

I know you already have an article on this subject, but being such an interesting one I was hoping you might like to go more in depth on the issue and write more about it sometime. :thumbs_up:
Thanks. Ok, maybe.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

gak

18 Dec 2015

Benedict wrote:
Jagwah wrote:

Thanks. Ok, maybe.

WAT????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, soundcloud/(or discover) it's like they are all made on some inferior sounding host :twisted:

Jagwah

18 Dec 2015

gak wrote:WAT????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CommentPhotos.com_1395083710.jpg
CommentPhotos.com_1395083710.jpg (40.65 KiB) Viewed 1645 times

dvdrtldg

18 Dec 2015

I don't know why you'd go to Soundcloud expecting hi-fidelity listening appreciation. Everybody knows it's a pretty blunt instrument

adfielding

20 Dec 2015

It still amazes me that Soundcloud's streams are still so shitty. It's a big factor in why I'm probably not going to renew my pro account next year - they seem to be focussing almost entirely on the social side of things without making any real quality-of-life improvements to any actual musical aspect, and it's really rubbing me up the wrong way. Everything still sounds like a 128kbps stream, and it's 2015 ffs! I could understand it if I was uploading crappy quality MP3s, but I'm uploading lossless content which they still somehow manage to royally screw up.

I'll keep using Soundcloud to upload one offs and old tracks and ideas and stuff, but I'll be using Bandcamp's streams from now on for most of my releases.

motuscott

20 Dec 2015

Is there a quality difference between Band Camp and Soundcloud free streaming?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

• Information