SoundCloud is stupid

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!

tronam

31 Jul 2015

SoundCloud is in that strange position where they have a considerable amount of mindshare, but still having difficulty staying afloat financially:

http://www.harderbloggerfaster.com/2015 ... oney-fast/

Removing direct streaming from social media may be part of a bargaining concession to major labels.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

raymondh

31 Jul 2015

I agree with the frustration but I don't agree with the analysis.

> SoundCloud obviously doesn’t want its content to be shared.

I think they probably do, they just need to find a way to make money out of it, or they won't be around to do anything.
I don't know why they aren't making money where other platforms are. I pay for the Pro subscription but I don't know what proportion of users pay for their accounts. If they're not getting revenue from paid accounts then they'll rely on advertising right? Which people are complaining about... And yet I don't see people complaining about Youtube ads.
I don't like the move either, but these guys are in a quandry.

Marco Raaphorst

01 Aug 2015

Their model was simple: let the user pay for hosting. That is so simple. I payed for hosting my files on Soundcloud since 2008. Super businessmodel. What's wrong with that?

When you start working with investors and they start demanding growth it will kill your business. Soundcloud has too much overhead, spend too much on a nice office and too many people working their. Have a look at Bandcamp. A virtual company, way smarter!

raymondh

01 Aug 2015

Yes great point. There's a saying "debt is cheaper than equity" and probably applies as you say with the pressure from investors etc.
I hope they can pull out of this while they can, tough decisions ahead (including a more empty office with a lease obligation!)

Jagwah

01 Aug 2015

More and more I am noticing this 'Interesting story right here!' so I go there, then I am met with 'Follow this link to read interesting story.' ._.

• Information