Storage/backups/cloud solutions

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Marco Raaphorst

30 Jul 2015

How do you backup?

I am on OSX and use Time Machine. But I also have old files which are not on my current laptop and not in Time Machine either. I have many double copies. I am also wondering if Dropbox or alternative cloud solutions might be better than harddrives/ssd.

This is a deep topic I understand. Also because of privacy issues. AND security since I am considering encrypting the files using Apple FileVault.

Please discuss!

normen

30 Jul 2015

FileVault only works for your internal drive, as soon as you copy the files somewhere else they get decrypted on read and don't get encrypted on the external storage.

Given that media (audio, video) still produces relatively large files and in Europe at least Gigabit connections aren't really common yet I didn't think of putting backups of these kinds of files online yet. Though I do keep one (manual) backup disk out of the studio room and in my living room (one house but separate flats) - never know if the studio room burns down or somebody steals everything in it - including the backup disks..

Marco Raaphorst

30 Jul 2015

NAS server might be cool too.

We can encrypt external drives too, right?

Marco Raaphorst

30 Jul 2015

As for connections. I am on a 120 / 12 Mbit/s connection. Will send large files to clients as well so making copies should be no problem.

RealmUK

30 Jul 2015

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS 104 containing four RAID HDDs to store all my stuff on - not just music projects but other personal files too such as documents, photos, etc. I feel moderately comfortable with this as the RAID technology provides a reasonable amount of resiliency.

I do still have a small nagging doubt in the back of my mind however - what are the chances that the whole drive blows up and renders all 4 HDDs useless?!?! Unfortunately, I'm on rural broadband (read, frustratingly, mind-bendingly slow) so backing up to the cloud is out of the question for myself at the moment. The only other option I have is to archive on to DVD or Bluray.

Concerning security and the cloud, however, although I haven't looked, I'd imagine there are 3rd party encryption and/or compression tools available for just such a purpose.

• Information