Do You Feel More Creative Around A Full Moon?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!

Do You Feel More Creative Around A Full Moon?

Yes
18%
No
18%
I Don't Know
35%
Who Cares
29%

Total votes: 17
pLansford

29 Jul 2015

It could just be in my head but I feel very creative around the full moon for a period of a few days.
Last edited by pLansford on 03 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.

gak

30 Jul 2015

I really was feeling very musical and creative until afternoon yesterday. Then I started having a "problem" physically and it's been pain city so that all got lost :(

motuscott

30 Jul 2015

I wish I could pin my productivity to something less ephemeral than when the gods of creativity smile upon me like a popular kid recognizing a nerd.
But I cannot.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Tincture

30 Jul 2015

I feel more creative around a full bottle... but that soon subsides towards emptiness.

pLansford

30 Jul 2015

gak wrote:I really was feeling very musical and creative until afternoon yesterday. Then I started having a "problem" physically and it's been pain city so that all got lost :(
Sorry about that...I hope things get better!
motuscott wrote:I wish I could pin my productivity to something less ephemeral than when the gods of creativity smile upon me like a popular kid recognizing a nerd.
But I cannot.
Hmmm...it's probably just a coincidence when I notice the full moon during a heavy project and then of course I feed into the delusion. It's like when I get all hyped up about a digital clock displaying the same numbers and I think I'm special. :lol:
Tincture wrote:I feel more creative around a full bottle... but that soon subsides towards emptiness.
You know I have some kind of relationship with alcohol but I really don't like creating under the influence. I like to get drunk and listen to my tracks when they are near completion or finished for that different perspective. I was on a good one yesterday without even any caffeine and I couldn't help writing the silly post here while producing the next track. It's probably my favorite project I've done all year - too bad it's a remix, eh? :geek:

Tincture

30 Jul 2015

I'm with you all the wAy. If I start drinking my field of influence shrinks no end until I'm tweaking the lpf of a hi-hat between 12500 & 14000 or somemat. But listening.... Oh yeah... That 's what it's all about. Going to my 1st meeting next week. Feckin' aresd in the meantime :)

pLansford

30 Jul 2015

Tincture wrote:I'm with you all the wAy. If I start drinking my field of influence shrinks no end until I'm tweaking the lpf of a hi-hat between 12500 & 14000 or somemat. But listening.... Oh yeah... That 's what it's all about. Going to my 1st meeting next week. Feckin' aresd in the meantime :)
Well it's nice to know you're taking a step in a positive direction and good luck with that. I cut back on the drinks as well as the destructive writing but I'm having a few this evening.

gak

30 Jul 2015

@pLansford: Thanks, I do feel better right now :)

@alcohol: I'm not really very good with the booze and doing music. But I'll tell what does work, hydrocoden/vicadin :flyhigh: I don't take it much because it's really addictive, but it's about the most stable buzz I can achieve (and lasts for hours)

Tincture

30 Jul 2015

Heh, wish I could get hold of those gak, nice relief I imagine. That said they'd have no stopping me drinking anyway. It'd just be a plus while they dispersed it for a while. Tragic really. Every 4 days since 14... Can't see things ever changing whatecer tragic stories and prophecy of death they talk about. Gotta go tho'. I promised someone. Stupid really but hope's very clingy.

motuscott

31 Jul 2015

May the force be with you Tinc.

motuscott

31 Jul 2015

I like to huff a little reefer myself. Seems the least harmfull and God knows, there's a lot of harm awaiting us.
Yes, I'm high. It's 7:07am batch. Oh I'm going straight to hell, do not pass Go, Do not collect $200….

decibel

31 Jul 2015

i was just looking at the full moon 5 minutes ago, its meant to be blue tonight ? looks like a typical blue moon to me though lol

Kov

31 Jul 2015

Since i play in a black metal band, i guess i have to :lol:

decibel

31 Jul 2015

oh, and im not really feeling creative at all tonight to be honest :)

gak

31 Jul 2015

motuscott wrote:I like to huff a little reefer myself. Seems the least harmfull and God knows, there's a lot of harm awaiting us.
Yes, I'm high. It's 7:07am batch. Oh I'm going straight to hell, do not pass Go, Do not collect $200….
If pot was legal here I'd do it but like booze it doesn't help with creativity.

motuscott

31 Jul 2015

gak wrote:it doesn't help with creativity.
Agreed, when it comes to your battle with creativity, you enter the ring naked and afraid, just like She Who's Name Dare Not Be Spoken wants it. And who am I to complain...

pushedbutton

31 Jul 2015

I'd hope not to have an excuse as daft as lunar cycles affecting my self confidence. I'd rather be trying to be creative the whole time than having an excuse not to try for 29 days out of 30.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

pLansford

31 Jul 2015

pushedbutton wrote:I'd hope not to have an excuse as daft as lunar cycles affecting my self confidence. I'd rather be trying to be creative the whole time than having an excuse not to try for 29 days out of 30.
Oh I hope so too! I try to do something creative every day but I want to be in the zone where everything melts away and I feel like I'm riding a shooting star. I'd say it's impossible to feel that way 30 out of 30 days. So how can we ride the shooting star? Wait for the next full moon, say a prayer, make a wish, do some drugs, enter a competition, do a unique project involving some other people, etc. Whatever the case may be, it ain't happening every day. They don't call it the war of art for nothing. :puf_bigsmile:

JNeffLind

01 Aug 2015

Only if by creative you mean "waking up naked and covered in blood in a strange place."

Seriously though, creativity for me is about being well fueled (well fed) and well relaxed (stress free). Otherwise it's anybody's guess.

pLansford

01 Aug 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Seriously though, creativity for me is about being well fueled (well fed) and well relaxed (stress free). Otherwise it's anybody's guess.
That's interesting. They say comfort is the killer of creativity and I've always thought of misery as great fuel for whatever I do.

Edit: I guess it depends though. I wouldn't want to do a film score if I was hungry, cold and depressed but I could probably screw around with some depressing melodies.

JNeffLind

01 Aug 2015

pLansford wrote:
JNeffLind wrote:Seriously though, creativity for me is about being well fueled (well fed) and well relaxed (stress free). Otherwise it's anybody's guess.
That's interesting. They say comfort is the killer of creativity and I've always thought of misery as great fuel for whatever I do.

Edit: I guess it depends though. I wouldn't want to do a film score if I was hungry, cold and depressed but I could probably screw around with some depressing melodies.
I've heard the same thing (that pain begets art) from lots of people, so I'm guessing it's true for most. I've got some legit mental health issues though so I don't romanticize pain in the slightest. Maybe there's just a point of diminishing returns when it comes to the pain/art relationship and my base level is well beyond that fulcrum point, so respite is much more valuable than turmoil for me. When food tastes like sawdust and exhaustion is constant and people are terrifying and simple things that any nitwit can do require herculean willpower, one isn't creating any melodies. I hear people talk about getting dumped and getting "depressed" and eating a carton of ice cream and I want to tell them about the depths of struggle when for example it's tough to decide whether it's worth it to get out of bed to pee or if it might be better just to piss the bed and just deal with the mess later because any action at this moment is near impossible. Of course I don't ever say this, because I'm not a drama queen, but internet anonymity is a comfortable buffer.

Pain is a continuum. In regards to creation I believe a little bit goes a long way and a lot goes nowhere at all.

pLansford

01 Aug 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Pain is a continuum. In regards to creation I believe a little bit goes a long way and a lot goes nowhere at all.
There's short term misery and there's long term misery. I am inspired by the latter because I have no choice. The short term misery doesn't get me off the way it should. I'll gladly take the label of hopeless romantic because that's what keeps me going. Now where's that shooting star? :D

Tincture

01 Aug 2015

I know there's no future in chemical highs but if the alternative is the everyday monotony of being alone and bored, I'm gonna get high. Real depth of feeling and trying, I felt when young... Who cares for fat old fucks... Old fat fucks. Nah. I'll stay alone and shallow.

pLansford

01 Aug 2015

Tincture wrote:I know there's no future in chemical highs but if the alternative is the everyday monotony of being alone and bored, I'm gonna get high. Real depth of feeling and trying, I felt when young... Who cares for fat old fucks... Old fat fucks. Nah. I'll stay alone and shallow.
I do feel like an OFF to be honest and my lifestyle is probably more as such than the real OFF's out there. No social outings (no friends), I drink alone when the occasion rises and I do whatever it is I do on this machine. I walk up the hill to fill my gallon jug at the water dispenser machine wearing all black with a baseball cap and I only say hi to people if I'm drunk. That's pretty much my whole lifestyle for the past couple years.

Tincture

01 Aug 2015

Yikes, sorry peter I knew you were old and a bit of a fucker but if I've minced on your sensitivity to being a fat fuck, I do apologise.

• Information