FIFA Womens World Cup

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Biolumin3sc3nt

05 Jul 2015

Dunno how many Soccer (Football) fans we have out there, but it was really nice to see the U.S. Women win on 4th of July weekend! Much respect to all the other teams that played their heart out!

JesusChristIsLord

06 Jul 2015

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:Dunno how many Soccer (Football) fans we have out there, but it was really nice to see the U.S. Women win on 4th of July weekend! Much respect to all the other teams that played their heart out!
It's great! Our girls were amazing!!
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior :thumbs_up:

Ostermilk

06 Jul 2015

I tried to watch it at the begining but I couldn't get into it and lost interest. I think it's something to do with the pace of the game being noticably slower than the mens game. I think the pitches should be scaled accordingly to keep the game as exciting because every bit of competitiveness is there. So if you took the world record 200m sprint times of 19.19 vs the womens 200m record of 21.34 and scaled the womens pitches down accordingly so around 90% of the size things would start happening as fast as in the mens game making it equally as exciting in relative terms.

I've probably upset the PC crowd now by saying that but I do think a reduced size pitch would make all the difference as it already does in youth leagues.

Congratulations to the US team though, deserved winners of a well contested campaign.

JesusChristIsLord

06 Jul 2015

Ostermilk wrote:I tried to watch it at the begining but I couldn't get into it and lost interest. I think it's something to do with the pace of the game being noticably slower than the mens game. I think the pitches should be scaled accordingly to keep the game as exciting because every bit of competitiveness is there. So if you took the world record 200m sprint times of 19.19 vs the womens 200m record of 21.34 and scaled the womens pitches down accordingly so around 90% of the size things would start happening as fast as in the mens game making it equally as exciting in relative terms.

I've probably upset the PC crowd now by saying that but I do think a reduced size pitch would make all the difference as it already does in youth leagues.

Congratulations to the US team though, deserved winners of a well contested campaign.
5-2 is pretty exciting. You mean you prefer a 0-0 draw played by men? :mrgreen:

Biolumin3sc3nt

06 Jul 2015

Ostermilk... I like everything the way it is except for the "offside" call - but that's just me

SoulState

06 Jul 2015

Anybody who thinks the women's game is slow didn't see Cameroon or Nigeria play and the Japanese technical passing skills(against England) were incredible. Reminded me of FC Barcelona.

Love watching Women's football. Prefer it to the mucho male variety; no feigning injury, no arguing with the ref after every decision, no squaring up to other players. In another life I used to play football professionally and the cynicalness of it used to drive me nuts....
... The women's game is kinda pure...but I dare say in 10 years it'll be just as predictable as the male game - hope not.
Last edited by SoulState on 06 Jul 2015, edited 2 times in total.
:reason:

JesusChristIsLord

06 Jul 2015

SoulState wrote:Anybody who thinks the women's game is slow didn't see Cameroon or Nigeria play and the Japanese technical passing skills(against England) were incredible. Reminded me of FC Barcelona.

Love watching Women's football. Prefer it to the mucho male variety; no feigning injury, no arguing with the ref after every decision, no squaring up to other players. In another life I used to play football professionally and the cynicalness of it used to drive me nuts....
... The women's game is kinda pure...but I dare say in 10 years it'll be just as predictable as the male game - hope not.
There's a youtube video going around of a Japanese team goal that's one of the best ever! The woman's game is very exciting! I agree!

selig
RE Developer

06 Jul 2015

Ostermilk wrote:I tried to watch it at the begining but I couldn't get into it and lost interest.
Whaaaat? 4 goals in 16 minutes wasn't exciting enough for you?!? ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Biolumin3sc3nt

06 Jul 2015

selig wrote:
Ostermilk wrote:I tried to watch it at the begining but I couldn't get into it and lost interest.

Yeah right! It was the highest scoring Women's Game in History

Ostermilk

06 Jul 2015

selig wrote:
Don't get me wrong I love watching goals and I should point out that I had a large part to play in getting Women's football on the agenda in my local area whilst being involved with my home town county league at step 5 in the English pyramid. I'm a really strong advocate of the Women's game.

What I mean by not as exciting is that the build up play evolves much slower than in the mens game, you'll notice also in the lower leagues goals are easier to come by than they tend to be in higher leagues.

If you want 'really exciting' and skillful football watch some 5 or 6 a side matches to get an idea of how much difference the size of the playing area makes to the pace of the game, thereby making it more exciting.

I knew I'd be misunderstood for making that comment but it's the same when you are running youth tournaments the pitches get scaled by the physical capability of age ranges and nobody complains about that I'm suggesting that a 90% pitch size would improve the Women's game from a spectators POV.

It's just an opinion I have, I certainly have no intention of trying to interfere with how they themselves would like to play. I'm not that crazy... :D

Anyhow what am I doing? If there's one thing guaranteed to highten opinion more than talk about religion it's talk about sport... :)

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

06 Jul 2015

Ostermilk wrote:
Anyhow what am I doing? If there's one thing guaranteed to highten opinion more than talk about religion it's talk about sport... :)
What about religious people playing sport?

Or sporty people playing god?

;)

Biolumin3sc3nt

06 Jul 2015

...Or what about some awesome game on the Ladies Part?

JNeffLind

06 Jul 2015

The thing that bugs me about women's soccer is that they rarely fall down grabbing their legs wincing in pain, only to get up a moment later and run off like everything's fine. I really love seeing professional athletes whine and scream and this is sadly missing from the women's game. Somehow though I managed to keep watching. :twisted:

USA FTW!!!

(also, watch out men's world cup, next few generations of USA men's soccer players are going to become increasingly competitive.)

Ostermilk

07 Jul 2015

JNeffLind wrote:
(also, watch out men's world cup, next few generations of USA men's soccer players are going to become increasingly competitive.)
...and learn to dive and roll around the floor in agony with the best of them... :puf_bigsmile:

Actually the English Premier League is familiar territory for many US players already. I say that knowing many US folks are likely not aware of that fact being as what most of them call footbal doesn't use a ball (which is a round thing) and they carry it around most of the time rather than use their feet... :puf_smile:

Perhaps that's one of the reasons (although I can think of other reasons too.. ;) ) why the US has particularly produced plenty of world class goalkeepers to date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... ted_States

Hey, how cool is that, England vs US football banter on ReasonTalk, who'd have thought it?
Last edited by Ostermilk on 07 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

07 Jul 2015

Ostermilk wrote:
JNeffLind wrote:
...and learn to dive and roll around the floor in agony with the best of them... :puf_bigsmile:

Actually the English Premier League is familiar territory for many US players already. I say that knowing many US folks are likely not aware of that fact being as what most of them call footbal doesn't use a ball (which is a round thing) and they carry it around most of the time rather than use their feet... :puf_smile:

Ball:
A ball is a round, usually spherical but sometimes ovoid, object with various uses.
Just saying.
I agree with the foot part though - both sports evolved from rugby, which uses feet and hands, but American "football" evolved into more of a hand game while Soccer/Football evolved into more of a foot game. But both sports still use both feet and hands, just in different ways. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Ostermilk

07 Jul 2015

selig wrote:
Ostermilk wrote:
JNeffLind wrote:

Ball:
A ball is a round, usually spherical but sometimes ovoid, object with various uses.
Just saying.
I agree with the foot part though - both sports evolved from rugby, which uses feet and hands, but American "football" evolved into more of a hand game while Soccer/Football evolved into more of a foot game. But both sports still use both feet and hands, just in different ways. ;)
Giles, we'll make a soccer hooligan out of you yet... :D

JNeffLind

07 Jul 2015

Ostermilk wrote:

Perhaps that's one of the reasons (although I can think of other reasons too.. ;) ) why the US has particularly produced plenty of world class goalkeepers to date.

Hey, how cool is that, England vs US football banter on ReasonTalk, who'd have thought it?
I'm definitely guilty of being a fairweather fan when it comes to SOCCER :twisted: . Pretty much world cup only, but that's how I am with all sports besides mma. Any other uncultured brutes into mma? Conor Mcgregor anyone?

As for ragging on American football, I agree that it has the most ridiculous name ever. I heard some comedian say it should be changed to "hand-egg." It's pretty damned fun to watch though, sort of engineered for constant excitement.

I'm glad American players are getting some respect abroad. Can you imagine if USA won the men's world cup? I think the EU might start funneling money to ISIS.

craven

07 Jul 2015

JNeffLind wrote: I'm glad American players are getting some respect abroad. Can you imagine if USA won the men's world cup? I think the EU might start funneling money to ISIS.
haha, oh my, that was funny ;)
:ugeek:

• Information