Reason & Church Worship

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
JesusChristIsLord

06 Jul 2015

JesusChristIsLord wrote:
SoulState wrote:
JesusChristIsLord wrote: I wonder if there are any really good trad church pipe-organ refills? Or Black Gospel organ refills?
Black Gospel organ refills! WFT!!
You're beginning get on my nerves with your religious proclamations and now casual racism.
How am I being racist? Sorry? :-(
The organ-playing in Black churches is of a unique style. How else would you describe it?

"Gospel" could include very white, very square organ playing. I'd want Black Gospel playing: full of soul, highly technically skilled, improvised style, stabs, runs, energy. You could have a Caucasian player playing Black Gospel Organ. It's got nothing to do with race, but cultural choices. I have a number of Black organist friends who absolutely tear it up in that style, one of whom uses Reason 5 live! :-)
Here check this out, Black gospel musicians used the phrase to describe themselves: http://blackgospel.com
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior :thumbs_up:

JesusChristIsLord

06 Jul 2015

QVprod wrote:
SoulState wrote:
JesusChristIsLord wrote: I wonder if there are any really good trad church pipe-organ refills? Or Black Gospel organ refills?
You're beginning get on my nerves with your religious proclamations and now casual racism!
Ok people are really taking this way too seriously. Simple enough to just respond to the topic no?

And saying "Black Gospel" isn't racist. It's an actual sub-genre of christian music otherwise referred to as Urban Contemporary Gospel. He's referring to a Hammond B3 organ and probably didn't know what it was called. The B3 is characteristic of Black Gospel and not very prominent in other Christain music sub-genres
Thankyou!!

SoulState

06 Jul 2015

QVprod wrote:
SoulState wrote:
You're beginning get on my nerves with your religious proclamations and now casual racism!
Ok people are really taking this way too seriously. Simple enough to just respond to the topic no?

And saying "Black Gospel" isn't racist. It's an actual sub-genre of christian music otherwise referred to as Urban Contemporary Gospel. He's referring to a Hammond B3 organ and probably didn't know what it was called. The B3 is characteristic of Black Gospel and not very prominent in other Christain music sub-genres
@ QVprod
I disagree Reason bro..
If you promote "Jesus christ is lord" Keep calm god is in control" on your every post; that becomes just as relevant as the posted topic itself.

Re: Black Gospel organ refills
I"m well aware of the style of music he is referring to. I'm just not cool with the way he referred to it. "Urban Contemporary Gospel"...yip that's less patronising.

I've got to be honest this guy [JesusChristIsLord] presence on this site is beginning to pissed me off greatly. I'm all for pro-porting ones thoughts on religion, politics etc etc but not round here please!
Last edited by SoulState on 06 Jul 2015, edited 2 times in total.
:reason:

JesusChristIsLord

06 Jul 2015

SoulState wrote:
QVprod wrote:
SoulState wrote:

@ QVprod
I disagree Reason bro..
If you promote "Jesus christ is lord" Keep calm god is in control" on your every post; that becomes just as relevant as the posted topic itself.

Re: Black Gospel organ refills
I"m well aware of the style of music he is referring to. I'm just not cool with the way he referred to it. "Urban Contemporary Gospel"...yip that's less patronising.
But I'm referring to how they call themselves. If there are any Black Gospel Musicians on the forum, they know what I'm talking about.

I'm sorry if this offends you but in my circles I'd never heard the term "urban contemporary gospel". I don't know anyone who refers to themselves like that, and it could refer to Latin Pentecostal Music for example. It's not as precise.

Have a beautiful day though! Life's to short for misunderstandings.

Gardinski

06 Jul 2015

This is getting ridiculous! JC has shrunk his banner to a decent size. What more do people want?

Yes, I was as irritated by the planet-sized mega-banner as everyone else, and I said so in no uncertain terms - but he's made amends. Why are people still dredging it up? As for the 'Black Gospel' reference, there was clearly no racist intent. It's almost as if some of you guys are deliberately looking for a fight now.

Let's all bury the hatchet and get on with the music. I don't give a monkey's about anyone's religious affiliations. (And I'm pretty sure, if there IS a god, that he doesn't either.)

We're musicians. We should be striving for harmony - in every sense of the word!

Gardinski

06 Jul 2015

Incidentally, there's this: it's a 3.2 GB multiformat rendering of the Leeds Town Hall organ, created by Samplephonics in association with Leeds City organist Dr Simon Lindley (inc. a Reason refill, along with a Kontakt version, etc).

And best of all, it's FREEEEE!!!

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/04 ... all-organ/
http://store.samplephonics.com/products ... hall-organ

SoulState

06 Jul 2015

Gardinski wrote:

We're musicians. We should be striving for harmony - in every sense of the word!
If everyone posted icons and signatures of their own Religious or political beliefs the harmony around here would quickly change.
Last edited by SoulState on 06 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Gardinski

06 Jul 2015

SoulState wrote:
Gardinski wrote:

...and the way to keep harmony is to keep your Religious or political views to yourself.
...says the man with the red flag! :P

SoulState

06 Jul 2015

:lol: :clap: :lol: Hahaha nice one mate! Yeah I'm here to indoctrinate and push my main political message...Soul music with a wee touch of disco thrown in.:thumbs_up:

JesusChristIsLord

06 Jul 2015

Gardinski wrote:Incidentally, there's this: it's a 3.2 GB multiformat rendering of the Leeds Town Hall organ, created by Samplephonics in association with Leeds City organist Dr Simon Lindley (inc. a Reason refill, along with a Kontakt version, etc).

And best of all, it's FREEEEE!!!

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/04 ... all-organ/
http://store.samplephonics.com/products ... hall-organ
Wow!!!!!

forensickbeats

06 Jul 2015

SHUT UP, ALLYA! :lol:

Let`s stick to the music topic and discuss politics elsewhere.

Biolumin3sc3nt

06 Jul 2015

forensickbeats wrote:SHUT UP, ALLYA! :lol:

AMEN

zeebot

06 Jul 2015

I'm pretty sure it was the mods that shrunk the banner. Personally I don't think any religion should get a pass simply because its established. I am anti religion period from christianity to islam to scientology. If 'religious' sigs are allowed then I will say no more for the sake of the community but if that is the case then everyone should be allowed to post their own belief banners as long as they are not eye rape size yes?
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

SoulState

06 Jul 2015

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
forensickbeats wrote:SHUT UP, ALLYA! :lol:

AMEN
Hallelujah

JesusChristIsLord

08 Jul 2015

This is an older conversation along the lines I was hoping to have here.
Reason has changed substantially since 2008, Record coming out in 2009.
Please feel free to jump in and offer advice or stories:

http://www.theworshipcommunity.com/usin ... n-worship/
Introduction to Music Loops in Worship
Posted Jul 2 2008 with 18 Comments

If you are part of the growing community of worship leaders, there is a good chance that you are at least mildly acquainted with loops. Loops have, to varying degrees, become an important tool to many modern worship leaders. From simple drum loops to full-song sequences, artists such as Steve Fee, Chris Tomlin and the David Crowder Band have integrated loops into their songs.

From the standpoint of a worship band, loops can be very useful as they can be used to compensate for a lack of musicians (a very real and prominent issue in many churches). This can mean recording in a real instrument (such as a lead guitar part) or sequencing out an instrument using any one of a number of virtual instruments (such as those found in Reason or Kontakt). Using these tools will also allow for the use of non-traditional instruments such as vintage synths, a glockenspiel or various types of percussive instruments.

Further, the use of loops allows a worship band to more accurately perform another artist’s song – some songs, like Steve Fee’s “We Shine” would likely sound lackluster without a loop behind it.

Many worship leaders avoid the use of loops for a number of reasons, one being the perception that running loops requires sophisticated know-how and equipment. The reality is, running loops is relatively simple and specialized equipment is not necessarily required. If need be, loops can easily be played from an iPod, for instance. While many loops must be set to a click track to be used (therefore requiring in-ear monitoring and a metronome), most percussive loops do not require a click track to be used, and can be monitored using a stage monitor.

Writing loops, however, requires a greater investment of both time and money. The worship music community has latched onto two particular programs to serve their loop writing needs: Ableton Live and Propellerheads’ Reason. Both are capable of loop-creation, but have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Ableton Live, as the name suggests, shines through in the live situation – it is stable and efficient in its ability to trigger loops, trigger the metronome and running softsynths live. Ableton Live 7 has a strong set of instruments and effects, giving the user a relatively large set of tools to write and perform with.

Reason, on the other hand, is more finely-tuned as a writing and sequencing environment. Not only does it have a large selection of instruments, but its advanced instrument and effect routing allows for the creation of very unique sounds. Reason, in contrast to Ableton Live, provides very few provisions to those wanting to run loops and sequences in a live situation.

As an emerging trend, we are beginning to see loops and sequences finding their way into modern worship. Not only are loops able to enhance the sound of most worship bands, but they are able to give smaller, struggling worship bands the kind of relief and assistance they are looking for.

Digitus

15 Jul 2015

Personally, I'm really sick and tired of people pushing their religious agendas. I don't find it cute or clever to have to read a username, avatar, and signature that basically serves the purpose of proselytizing. Every time this user makes a post, it's basically an ad for a religious belief system. I'm actually surprised this sort of thing is even being allowed. I know it's something the previous PUF wouldn't have allowed. The rules for the Reasontalk forum states:

When you use these forums, please leave your politics and religion at the door. Everyone is entitled to their views and opinions, but these forums are for fun, social contact, and to talk about Reason. Discussions can get heated at any moment; politics and religion are two topics that will quickly send a thread down in flames. This also includes political and religious imagery in player signature art, links to political groups and websites and links to religious groups, churches and websites. Political and religious music in the music forum is acceptable but these threads may be locked if they lead to flaming, so if you don't agree with somebody's views please at least respect them and their music and avoid instigating a fight.

I don't see how having a religious themed username, avatar, and signature, is leaving politics or religion at the door. Have whatever religious belief system you want because that's your right, but please quit proselytizing. It's really very annoying.

Emerton

15 Jul 2015

Digitus wrote:Personally, I'm really sick and tired of people pushing their religious agendas. I don't find it cute or clever to have to read a username, avatar, and signature that basically serves the purpose of proselytizing. Every time this user makes a post, it's basically an ad for a religious belief system. I'm actually surprised this sort of thing is even being allowed. I know it's something the previous PUF wouldn't have allowed. The rules for the Reasontalk forum states:

When you use these forums, please leave your politics and religion at the door. Everyone is entitled to their views and opinions, but these forums are for fun, social contact, and to talk about Reason. Discussions can get heated at any moment; politics and religion are two topics that will quickly send a thread down in flames. This also includes political and religious imagery in player signature art, links to political groups and websites and links to religious groups, churches and websites. Political and religious music in the music forum is acceptable but these threads may be locked if they lead to flaming, so if you don't agree with somebody's views please at least respect them and their music and avoid instigating a fight.

I don't see how having a religious themed username, avatar, and signature, is leaving politics or religion at the door. Have whatever religious belief system you want because that's your right, but please quit proselytizing. It's really very annoying.
It's a ludicrous ToS and a completely unreasonable demand made of people of faith. How does someone "leave their religion at the door". Does that happen in real life? Do Hassidic Jews take off their yamulkes when they walk in your store? Do Muslims fasting for Ramadan suddenly start eating pork when they walk in a nonMuslim's house? People's religions define them. It's absolute lunacy to expect otherwise. Leave the guy alone. It's his username, his avatar. If you don't like it, own your bigotry and block him.

Digitus

16 Jul 2015

Emerton wrote:It's a ludicrous ToS and a completely unreasonable demand made of people of faith. How does someone "leave their religion at the door". Does that happen in real life? Do Hassidic Jews take off their yamulkes when they walk in your store? Do Muslims fasting for Ramadan suddenly start eating pork when they walk in a nonMuslim's house? People's religions define them. It's absolute lunacy to expect otherwise. Leave the guy alone. It's his username, his avatar. If you don't like it, own your bigotry and block him.
It's left at the door by keeping it to yourself. I have no problem with people believing in what ever faith serves them, but there's a time and a place for everything. I take issue with any faith that attempts to assert its value system into my life, and the Christian faith is well known for its proselytizing tactics, so it's no surprise it rubs people the wrong way when it shows up in this manner. I mean why else was the banner so incredibly huge at first. As for your other examples, I wouldn't mind a Jewish guy walking through my store wearing a yamulke as long as he wasn't proselytizing, and I wouldn't expect a Muslim fasting for Ramadan to eat pork at my house any more than I would expect a vegetarian to eat meat. It's a pretty simple premise, proselytizing, even when disguised, is not cool.

Kenni
Site Admin

16 Jul 2015

Emerton wrote:It's a ludicrous ToS and a completely unreasonable demand made of people of faith. How does someone "leave their religion at the door". Does that happen in real life? Do Hassidic Jews take off their yamulkes when they walk in your store? Do Muslims fasting for Ramadan suddenly start eating pork when they walk in a nonMuslim's house? People's religions define them. It's absolute lunacy to expect otherwise. Leave the guy alone. It's his username, his avatar. If you don't like it, own your bigotry and block him.
It's a tiresome tendency having to reason with people who disagree in such obvious ways only for the sake of argument or the display of "intellectual" supremacy.

It's not a ludicrous ToS. Also, we don't demand people of faith to leave their religion at the door, nor do we demand people with a love for politics to stop loving politics. By registering, they simply agree to the ToS and that's a choice of their own. We don't want to be a strict community but as you can see, these topics fuel hefty debates.

In general

It's ok to have an opinion. Taunting for the sake of argument and to denigrate others in public is not.

Topic locked. (Again)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Kenni
Site Admin

16 Jul 2015

And may I remind people to take it easy from here on out.

Besides the user name and signature, JesusChristIsLord isn't really breaking the ToS.

There's no need for more senseless attacks. Let's be grown ups.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

selig
RE Developer

16 Jul 2015

Emerton wrote: It's a ludicrous ToS and a completely unreasonable demand made of people of faith. How does someone "leave their religion at the door". Does that happen in real life? Do Hassidic Jews take off their yamulkes when they walk in your store? Do Muslims fasting for Ramadan suddenly start eating pork when they walk in a nonMuslim's house? People's religions define them. It's absolute lunacy to expect otherwise. Leave the guy alone. It's his username, his avatar. If you don't like it, own your bigotry and block him.
The reason the ToS exists in the first place is to try to keep topics from straying from the subject - case in point, this very thread!

Beyond that, I see online communities and "real life" communities as being two separate things. But to follow your analogy through, ReasonTalk is not a "store", it is more a "private residence" that is open to anyone who abides by the "house rules". In "real life", anyone is free to set whatever rules they wish in their own homes - if you have a party at your house, you are free to ask folks to do whatever you like! They in turn are free to not enter your home if they feel they cannot abide by your rules.

That being said, ALL of these types of posts are completely OFF TOPIC. If you feel a need to discuss this matter, please keep it out of this thread and address those concerns to the moderators - that's what they are here for!
Thanks for your understanding.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information