What are you watching at the moment? (possible spoilers)

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 3916
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 24 May 2024

Dark Matter.
Did they steal that sound from Nintendo? Over and over again. Annoying :think:

757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

User avatar
jappe
Moderator
Posts: 2447
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 14 Jun 2024

Really like Dark Matter too!
Obsessed with the no-go zone of What is an observer, so anything remotely touching that in sci-fi, I'm in

User avatar
tt_lab
Posts: 353
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jun 2024

I like Dark matter too, but I feel it is a little bit clumpsy on the science side.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 3916
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jun 2024

bxbrkrz wrote:
24 May 2024
Dark Matter.
Did they steal that sound from Nintendo? Over and over again. Annoying :think:

Image

The OG 'Dark Matter' :thumbs_up:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11980
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 16 Jun 2024

bxbrkrz wrote:
16 Jun 2024
The OG 'Dark Matter' :thumbs_up:
Probably not the OG…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ ... in_fiction
Selig Audio, LLC

rorystorm
Posts: 836
Joined: 06 Jul 2019

Post 16 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
16 Jun 2024
bxbrkrz wrote:
16 Jun 2024
The OG 'Dark Matter' :thumbs_up:
Probably not the OG…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ ... in_fiction
Not to be that guy. But

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Matt ... TV_series)

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 3916
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jun 2024

rorystorm wrote:
16 Jun 2024
selig wrote:
16 Jun 2024


Probably not the OG…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ ... in_fiction
Not to be that guy. But

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Matt ... TV_series)
I was a big fan of that show. I believe its disappointing cancellation while the other show was kept is what made me care less. I forgot the name of the other show but this Dark Matter and the other show were playing back to back on syfy every Friday in the US.

Sliders the TV show was infinitely more fun to watch. And without the need of that stolen Nintendo sound effet.

And not to be that guy but another better show, better vibe, better plot, better music theme, better looking car. But very low SFX (Amiga LightWave 3D?) quality :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Jade



Wow.. Sounds like presets from the Yamaha SY99 or something similar.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 3916
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jun 2024



The dude's name was Rex Reason. Wow!
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

rorystorm
Posts: 836
Joined: 06 Jul 2019

Post 22 Jun 2024

DS9. I've never seen it before, its, well it has room to improve. Great theme.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11980
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 22 Jun 2024

bxbrkrz wrote:
24 May 2024
Dark Matter.
Did they steal that sound from Nintendo? Over and over again. Annoying :think:

I’ve watched all but the final episode of the recent Dark Matter, and even as a ‘sound guy’ I have literally NO IDEA what you’re talking about. I can honestly say I’ve never once noticed that sound effect in the show, let alone having it get “annoying”!
I’ll pay more attention on the final episode and see if I can spot it. Not saying it’s not there, just saying it must me low enough to not even register on my radar - and I’m as likely as anyone in negatively fixating on a sound effect - every time I see an outdoor shot and hear a generic hawk cry, or when someone steps up to a microphone and you hear the cliche and unrealistic “feedback” SFX - instant cringe!
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 3916
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 22 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
22 Jun 2024
bxbrkrz wrote:
24 May 2024
Dark Matter.
Did they steal that sound from Nintendo? Over and over again. Annoying :think:

I’ve watched all but the final episode of the recent Dark Matter, and even as a ‘sound guy’ I have literally NO IDEA what you’re talking about. I can honestly say I’ve never once noticed that sound effect in the show, let alone having it get “annoying”!
I’ll pay more attention on the final episode and see if I can spot it. Not saying it’s not there, just saying it must me low enough to not even register on my radar - and I’m as likely as anyone in negatively fixating on a sound effect - every time I see an outdoor shot and hear a generic hawk cry, or when someone steps up to a microphone and you hear the cliche and unrealistic “feedback” SFX - instant cringe!
The last episode gave me hope for season 2. A very good twist I don't remember seeing in that type of story.
That sound fx for the last episode could not be used. Can't say much.
I watch TV on headphones. The FX is an audio cue telling the audience they've just changed Realities, back and forth between the main character(s). Was it literally stolen from Nintendo? Of course not. It's a nice 'switch' sound with a reverb tail similar to Nintendo's FX. Nintendo Switch? 'Switching' worlds? OK, I get it. Bravo Apple Prod :D
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11980
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 22 Jun 2024

bxbrkrz wrote:
22 Jun 2024
selig wrote:
22 Jun 2024


I’ve watched all but the final episode of the recent Dark Matter, and even as a ‘sound guy’ I have literally NO IDEA what you’re talking about. I can honestly say I’ve never once noticed that sound effect in the show, let alone having it get “annoying”!
I’ll pay more attention on the final episode and see if I can spot it. Not saying it’s not there, just saying it must me low enough to not even register on my radar - and I’m as likely as anyone in negatively fixating on a sound effect - every time I see an outdoor shot and hear a generic hawk cry, or when someone steps up to a microphone and you hear the cliche and unrealistic “feedback” SFX - instant cringe!
The last episode gave me hope for season 2. A very good twist I don't remember seeing in that type of story.
That sound fx for the last episode could not be used. Can't say much.
I watch TV on headphones. The FX is an audio cue telling the audience they've just changed Realities, back and forth between the main character(s). Was it literally stolen from Nintendo? Of course not. It's a nice 'switch' sound with a reverb tail similar to Nintendo's FX. Nintendo Switch? 'Switching' worlds? OK, I get it. Bravo Apple Prod :D
I haven't seen the last episode, but it was the ending of the book that got me. Up to the last few chapters it was kinda straight forward, but still captivating enough to keep me connected and reading (read: FINISHING the book, I'm not always good at finishing books I start!). But I also read Pines by the same writer, as well as the series derived from it. Great premise on both stories IMO, better ending on DM.
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 3916
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 22 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
22 Jun 2024
bxbrkrz wrote:
22 Jun 2024

The last episode gave me hope for season 2. A very good twist I don't remember seeing in that type of story.
That sound fx for the last episode could not be used. Can't say much.
I watch TV on headphones. The FX is an audio cue telling the audience they've just changed Realities, back and forth between the main character(s). Was it literally stolen from Nintendo? Of course not. It's a nice 'switch' sound with a reverb tail similar to Nintendo's FX. Nintendo Switch? 'Switching' worlds? OK, I get it. Bravo Apple Prod :D
I haven't seen the last episode, but it was the ending of the book that got me. Up to the last few chapters it was kinda straight forward, but still captivating enough to keep me connected and reading (read: FINISHING the book, I'm not always good at finishing books I start!). But I also read Pines by the same writer, as well as the series derived from it. Great premise on both stories IMO, better ending on DM.
It's a good cliffhanger. As always it's do or die for season 2. I haven't read the book so if the showrunner respects the spirit of its story it should be all good to all, for at least 2 seasons.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Popey
Competition Winner
Posts: 2156
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 02 Jul 2024



Only short but good to see the old early rave scene.

User avatar
Theo.M
Posts: 1229
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 08 Jul 2024

EVIL

Darn I love it
Yes, it's just called evil lol.

Think X files meets supernatural, you never know each week what it will be as they try to debunk it and use science to explain it.

Great show with likeable main characters.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra/64Gb/Apollo T-Bolt 3/OS 14.5.0/PT 2024/Nuendo 13
MSI GT77/13980HX/RTX 4090m/64GB/Arturia Minifuse 2/Win 11 Pro/S1 V6/Bitwig 5/Low DPC latency tuned

User avatar
Theo.M
Posts: 1229
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 20 Jul 2024

So, I watched all of Star Trek Discovery, well, I *thought* I had. Out of the blue I found out they did a season 5 LOL that I had no idea about. You see, I thought season 4 had a proper and satisfying ending and that was it was it for the series. So I did a marathon over 2 days and saw all of the final season on Prime (Paramount channel).
AND........ Season 5 was GREAT, a much better, heartfelt ending, truly wrapped the show up in every way, and I got to see more Sonequa Martin Green.
She's SO cool that I would watch her read a phone book, just so much emotion in her performance. Loved it. Discovery is very standalone vs other star trek, so sadly I doubt we will see her reprise her role in any crossovers, nor the actor who played Saru who was also outstanding.
Negatives? Even as a gay man myself, I found the identity politics a little OTT and "forced", "on the nose", and I can do without that stuff in a sci fi show let alone any fictional show, but the strengths of the rest of the series made it worth a watch for sure.
And I love me some Sonequa if I didn't say that already! :D :D :clap:
Mac Studio M2 Ultra/64Gb/Apollo T-Bolt 3/OS 14.5.0/PT 2024/Nuendo 13
MSI GT77/13980HX/RTX 4090m/64GB/Arturia Minifuse 2/Win 11 Pro/S1 V6/Bitwig 5/Low DPC latency tuned

rorystorm
Posts: 836
Joined: 06 Jul 2019

Post 20 Jul 2024

Interesting take. While like everything it has its flaws, I loved Discovery, especially the later seasons when it moves away from being a legasequal - legaprequal? - and does its own thing. Great happily ever after ending as well, without being sappy. And excellent visuals.

One thing I thought it did particularly well is just had really, really good characters. That's always been the strength of Trek when it's at its best, when it doesn't let the people its about get lost in the spectacle and space opera. Tilly! Georgiou! Jett! (The actress who played her improvised most of her dialogue and she owns every scene she's in). All rank with the best like Data and Seven of Nine and Sisko.

Interested also what you're saying about representation in it which personally I found pretty relaxed. I know what you mean about it sometimes being forced but I liked the fact that, to take the biggest example, the longest standing relationship is a same sex marriage is never discussed - it just exists. When I found out there was non binary character I rolled my eyes and was like, oh cool. Tokenism. But actually it's portrayed really well and - being the father of a non binary kid - I found the very short scene where Adira comes out to Paul very meaningful.

and Saru and the nice Vulcan lady - really lovely.


Theo.M wrote:
20 Jul 2024
So, I watched all of Star Trek Discovery, well, I *thought* I had. Out of the blue I found out they did a season 5 LOL that I had no idea about. You see, I thought season 4 had a proper and satisfying ending and that was it was it for the series. So I did a marathon over 2 days and saw all of the final season on Prime (Paramount channel).
AND........ Season 5 was GREAT, a much better, heartfelt ending, truly wrapped the show up in every way, and I got to see more Sonequa Martin Green.
She's SO cool that I would watch her read a phone book, just so much emotion in her performance. Loved it. Discovery is very standalone vs other star trek, so sadly I doubt we will see her reprise her role in any crossovers, nor the actor who played Saru who was also outstanding.
Negatives? Even as a gay man myself, I found the identity politics a little OTT and "forced", "on the nose", and I can do without that stuff in a sci fi show let alone any fictional show, but the strengths of the rest of the series made it worth a watch for sure.
And I love me some Sonequa if I didn't say that already! :D :D :clap:

User avatar
Theo.M
Posts: 1229
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 20 Jul 2024

rorystorm wrote:
20 Jul 2024
Interesting take. While like everything it has its flaws, I loved Discovery, especially the later seasons when it moves away from being a legasequal - legaprequal? - and does its own thing. Great happily ever after ending as well, without being sappy. And excellent visuals.

One thing I thought it did particularly well is just had really, really good characters. That's always been the strength of Trek when it's at its best, when it doesn't let the people its about get lost in the spectacle and space opera. Tilly! Georgiou! Jett! (The actress who played her improvised most of her dialogue and she owns every scene she's in). All rank with the best like Data and Seven of Nine and Sisko.

Interested also what you're saying about representation in it which personally I found pretty relaxed. I know what you mean about it sometimes being forced but I liked the fact that, to take the biggest example, the longest standing relationship is a same sex marriage is never discussed - it just exists. When I found out there was non binary character I rolled my eyes and was like, oh cool. Tokenism. But actually it's portrayed really well and - being the father of a non binary kid - I found the very short scene where Adira comes out to Paul very meaningful.

and Saru and the nice Vulcan lady - really lovely.

That was the bit, the non binary bit, it was really forced and I too did a mega eye roll LOL. Mega.

I think the show has been very unfairly maligned overall however, and yes I adore Michelle Yeoh as much as the next sane person, and loved Georgiou as well of course, but by the end seasons, I kind of forgot all about her character cause they had moved on.

I liked the guy that played Book, a lot, and he had good chemistry with Michael - he seemed very natural to me, nothing forced, and I know some people think Sonequa could be over emotional, but I loved it, because with some of the insane epically emotional scenarios and choices they found themselves in where SHE had to make the big life altering decisions, I imagine that's how real people would react and NOT be entirely calm and methodical. Plus, she cared so much, she had a heart of gold to always do the right thing, and I love that. I would want her as a friend, and that's how I know I gel with a character. I felt that way about a lot of the Buffy cast back in the day, that show to me did character building in a rarely matched fashion.

I did not like the guy that played Stamets all that much, I found his acting to be non believable if that makes sense. Sort of like he was reading from a book a lot of the time. His partner was WAY better - when he got lost in the nacelles and came back, that was heavy, he was terrific. I mean you really felt the dread and existential crisis of it all, his sheer struggle to come to grips with being alive again.

The other one that gets trashed a lot, and in *some* ways, rightly so, was Star Trek Enterprise. However, Jolene Blalock playing the Vulcan made that entire show for me, she deserves mega recognition for that. Her grasp of the various NON emotions that slowly turned into some very powerful E-motions was masterful. The rest of the main cast did mention that recently in the YouTube shuttlepod show, which was so lovely to give her the shout out for her performance. It's a nice web series with cast interviews and casual relaxed chat.

I really like Ethan Peck as Spock in Strange New worlds, although I am 50/50 so far about the show overall. I would say I have enjoyed it and glad I watched it, and looking forward to season 3, but I am not "oh yeah it's a must see" about it because there were too many episodes I simply thought were crap, for lack of a better word.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra/64Gb/Apollo T-Bolt 3/OS 14.5.0/PT 2024/Nuendo 13
MSI GT77/13980HX/RTX 4090m/64GB/Arturia Minifuse 2/Win 11 Pro/S1 V6/Bitwig 5/Low DPC latency tuned

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 6 guests