What are you watching at the moment? (possible spoilers)

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
User avatar
JiggeryPokery
Posts: 826
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

15 Jun 2017

Kombucha wrote: Does anyone else think that the latest series of Better Cal Saul is so goddamn boring ? I enjoyed the first two a lot, but the latest season is dull.

"Dull"? You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I don't recognize it as dull; for me it's gotten better each year, and it's been superlative TV for three years now.

From the long, beautiful, almost wordless sequence of Mike tracking down the bug and tracing his followers, and wordless to the extent it's not even clear what he's actually doing until suddenly he's sitting in the dark watching his own car and the last 15 minutes suddenly makes sense (one of the best cases of "show, don't tell" I've seen in years); Jimmy scouting out Los Pollos, and the first re-appearance of Gus, and the way Mike has fallen—tragically of course—into his orbit. The edge of the seat scene of Nacho trying to steal Hector's heart pills and replace them with the ibruprofren-fill clones is the antithesis of dull. Jimmy and Chuck's war coming to a spectacular Huell-effected head in court, and crucially (and to counterpoint Mike falling under Gus's spell), getting Kim involved, which itself has led directly into Kim's power-nap at the end of episode 9.

I was kind of surprised to read a couple of negative reviews of episode 9, though. While the outcome of the penultimate sequence was obvious I suspect that was intentional, in the Hitchcockian sense, but it made it no less sad. Jimmy has destroyed Chuck in court and at the insurers (although Chuck is onery enough he still might come back from that with some form of revenge on Jimmy, or now it seems, HHM), but now Jimmy's destroyed Kim, because of the fallacy of sunk costs: she decided to stick with him because of her investment in him. That's a season-long arc, and it takes the slower scenes—those quiet moments of Kim and Jimmy grabbing a cigarette in the car park—to make the big moments of drama pay off. Crucially, those quiet character moments are never boring: there's always a point to them.

Even the smaller sequences, like Mike building the playground, all add character texture. Here's a really good guy about to make a really stupid decision and become the head fixer to a drug lord, because of money. There's Jimmy in season 1 trying to be a good guy, helping the Sandpiper old folk, now in S3E9, being a complete and utterly despicable bastard to the very same person, destroying her friendships, and making a stupid decision, because of money (and that's another incredible scene showing both Jimmy's (and the writer's) long-con brilliance, but also the worst of his old Slippin' Jimmy persona). There's Nacho, who's a really nice guy who at some point in the past made a really stupid decision to work for a drug lord and now finds himself disowned by a family he's put at risk and is now trying to protect. And then finally there's Kim, breaking free of HHM and coming into her own as a truly brilliant lawyer, making a stupid decision to take on that one extra job, because of money (really, because Jimmy), and that looks right now like it's going to cost her everything.

Like BB, BCS doesn't talk down to its audience, and its attention to detail is staggering. But unlike BB, which despite its brilliance was saddled with wood-creature Aaron Paul (although we'll always have "Magnets, bitch!"), there's not a bad performance in BCS; the cinematography rivals and arguably exceeds most movies, and it manages to be funnier, and more dramatic than most of them too.

As the WM logo on the reception area wall of Kim and Jimmy's office notes, "The M's only a little crooked".

User avatar
rudiarii
Posts: 59
Joined: 28 Jun 2016
Location: UK
Contact:

15 Jun 2017

gak wrote:What did you think of "mr robot" ?? Frankly I couldn't get into the "drug addict, thinks he's not, chain smoking, sleeping for drugs" motif.

Other than that it seemed interesting.
I like it a lot...look beyond the drugs and the plot is feasable as we have seen with major hacks here in the UK...
"dont let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold" Incubus

User avatar
Last Alternative
Posts: 965
Joined: 20 Jan 2015
Location: the lost desert

15 Jun 2017

Better Call Saul. Prequel to Breaking Bad, for those who don't know.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 9.5 | iMac (27" Retina 5K, late 2015): i7 Skylake @ 4GHz, 1TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, Radeon M395X | Universal Audio Apollo Twin mkII solo | M-Audio Oxygen25 | Yamaha hs5 | badass mics, guitars & bass

User avatar
gak
Posts: 2843
Joined: 05 Feb 2015

15 Jun 2017

Falling for the "HGTV" crap lately.......drooling over redoing the house. Really need a new car more.

User avatar
gak
Posts: 2843
Joined: 05 Feb 2015

25 Jun 2017

edit, and right on cue the next epi-sod was utter shit.

Honestly, here is what ufo enthusiasts want: Facts and information. I don't want to hear anymore about "ancient power stations" or the drivel that is strictly opinion with ZERO basis.

Hearing about all the declassified documents from 28 countries? Awesome. Hearing about how the pyramids are ancient landing sites, fuck off.

User avatar
Jagwah
Posts: 1073
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

25 Jun 2017

The Apprentice UK, great stuff. The US one went to sh*t when Trump declared all seasons will be 'Celebrity Apprentice' which if anyone who likes the show will know the celebrity seasons are not the same as the skill needed is taken away once they rely on their rich mates to make donations. Obviously the show brought in more viewers, but the latest season of UK Apprentice is a perfect example of why I have always liked the show.
My mind is glowing

*Soundcloud

User avatar
AttenuationHz
Posts: 1649
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Back of the Rack

25 Jun 2017

gak wrote:
25 Jun 2017
edit, and right on cue the next epi-sod was utter shit.

Honestly, here is what ufo enthusiasts want: Facts and information. I don't want to hear anymore about "ancient power stations" or the drivel that is strictly opinion with ZERO basis.

Hearing about all the declassified documents from 28 countries? Awesome. Hearing about how the pyramids are ancient landing sites, fuck off.
Funny thing is with those UFO shows is most the "evidence" they have is from 25 years ago or more. Now you'd think with all the technological advances over past 10 years with camera phones having such good quality and instant internet access there would be a lot more up to date evidence for the shows to use.

I'm not a disbeliever of other life other than us out there in the vastness and seemingly infinite cosmos but then again I don't think they are hanging around checking us out.
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 25 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for Navigation by Routing to be added! viewtopic.php?p=275484#p275484f=6&t=749 ... 97#p275497
:refill: http://rwrd.io/qx9m5wx Referral!

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 892
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Location: Oregon

25 Jun 2017

um.. i've just watching some Yu-GI-Oh while falling to sleep sometimes, i'm a simple man. edit: or man child, rather.

User avatar
gak
Posts: 2843
Joined: 05 Feb 2015

25 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
25 Jun 2017
gak wrote:
25 Jun 2017
edit, and right on cue the next epi-sod was utter shit.

Honestly, here is what ufo enthusiasts want: Facts and information. I don't want to hear anymore about "ancient power stations" or the drivel that is strictly opinion with ZERO basis.

Hearing about all the declassified documents from 28 countries? Awesome. Hearing about how the pyramids are ancient landing sites, fuck off.
Funny thing is with those UFO shows is most the "evidence" they have is from 25 years ago or more. Now you'd think with all the technological advances over past 10 years with camera phones having such good quality and instant internet access there would be a lot more up to date evidence for the shows to use.

I'm not a disbeliever of other life other than us out there in the vastness and seemingly infinite cosmos but then again I don't think they are hanging around checking us out.
Agreed. Now, there were some good parts before that. Almost nobody has talked about "area 52" and it's always interesting to hear about stories you haven't heard. But most is two things: Regurgitation of common knowledge, and some insane m....f....as who believe everything at face-value.

Still, I keep hoping for evidence just because it's a cool topic.

geekles
Posts: 4
Joined: 26 Dec 2016

26 Jun 2017

Legion was pretty great.

User avatar
challism
Posts: 1207
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

26 Jun 2017

I've been watching a lot of porn. Maybe too much porn. Definitely too much porn. It's strange, because they always seem to end the same way. Talk about lazy writing.

User avatar
Wickline
Posts: 372
Joined: 03 Jan 2017

27 Jun 2017

challism wrote:I've been watching a lot of porn. Maybe too much porn. Definitely too much porn. It's strange, because they always seem to end the same way. Talk about lazy writing.
Hahahaha
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:
[url]https://soundcloud.com/wicklinemusic[/url]
[url]https://facebook.com/wicklinemusic/[/url]
[url]https://twitter.com/wicklinemusic[/url]
[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

User avatar
Gorgon
Posts: 1104
Joined: 11 Mar 2016

27 Jun 2017

Just watched the season finale for Better Call Saul. Not that interesting. Orange is the new black sucks, really bad season this time.

Started to watch Glow yesterday, and it looks promising.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 5747
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

27 Jun 2017

Gorgon wrote:Just watched the season finale for Better Call Saul. Not that interesting. Orange is the new black sucks, really bad season this time.

Started to watch Glow yesterday, and it looks promising.
I'm giving Glow a bit of a pass because Marc Maron. Slow at parts, but as you say it looks promising.


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
AttenuationHz
Posts: 1649
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Back of the Rack

27 Jun 2017

Into season 3 of Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Very funny.
Waiting for Navigation by Routing to be added! viewtopic.php?p=275484#p275484f=6&t=749 ... 97#p275497
:refill: http://rwrd.io/qx9m5wx Referral!

User avatar
Gorgon
Posts: 1104
Joined: 11 Mar 2016

27 Jun 2017

selig wrote:
27 Jun 2017
I'm giving Glow a bit of a pass because Marc Maron.
He's GREAT!
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 624
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

04 Jul 2017

Row A. I like to sit in the front of class.
Image
Friday Night.

Feels like a Dream.

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 5747
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

04 Jul 2017

Just caught up with Preacher - holy hell, what a show. Started slow and I got distracted after watching the pilot and didn't watch again till recently - then binged till tonight and I'm hooked.

Some memorable characters, great dialog, and my favorite fight scene of recent memory!

Reminds me of Tarantino one minute, the Cohen brothers another, and a Marvel story the next.
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
Wickline
Posts: 372
Joined: 03 Jan 2017

04 Jul 2017

Trailer Park Boys. "I am the liquor."
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:
[url]https://soundcloud.com/wicklinemusic[/url]
[url]https://facebook.com/wicklinemusic/[/url]
[url]https://twitter.com/wicklinemusic[/url]
[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

User avatar
gak
Posts: 2843
Joined: 05 Feb 2015

05 Jul 2017

Image

User avatar
AttenuationHz
Posts: 1649
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Back of the Rack

05 Jul 2017

Meh IASIP is hit and miss some episodes are funny others are just not.
Waiting for Navigation by Routing to be added! viewtopic.php?p=275484#p275484f=6&t=749 ... 97#p275497
:refill: http://rwrd.io/qx9m5wx Referral!

Ostermilk
Posts: 1284
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Contact:

05 Jul 2017

Just finished watching 'Broken' by Jimmy McGovern featuring Sean Bean. (BBC)

I nearly didn't make it through the bleak and miserable first episode but ended up getting drawn in and mesmerized by Bean's perfomance. I never figured at the outset this would end up being really enjoyable.

Also currently taking in Series 5 of 'Ripper Street' which is currently running on BBC2, this has probably run it's course by now as all the switching loyalties and blurred lines between the 'goodies' and 'baddies' have become too routine now in this show, featuring a nicely vibed, if over the top picture of all of London's lowlife gathered together within roughly a square mile of the Victorian capital city. Still watchable though and good to see that the hapless Nathanial is still a major pain in the neck.

User avatar
jonheal
Posts: 1213
Joined: 29 Jan 2015
Location: Springfield, VA, USA
Contact:

05 Jul 2017

Wickline wrote:
04 Jul 2017
Trailer Park Boys. "I am the liquor."
I cannot believe how those guys — especially John Dunsworth — are willing to humiliate themselves! That Jacuzzi scene was almost unwatchable. :lol:
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

User avatar
gak
Posts: 2843
Joined: 05 Feb 2015

05 Jul 2017

No, it's all unwatchable :lol:

User avatar
gak
Posts: 2843
Joined: 05 Feb 2015

08 Jul 2017

"Killjoys season 3" .........

Delete, stop future recordings.

It's rap for sci-fi. The same garbage over and over plagiarizing itself for chewing gum. I'll start in on "Dark Matter" later, wondering what they did to fuck that up.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests