What are you watching at the moment? (possible spoilers)

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Dabbler

19 Jan 2017

i am watching the horizon.

with dread.

4filegate

24 Feb 2017

My Life as a Zucchini

Eisbär - Written by Martin Eicher and Performed by Grauzone

TheFatControlleR

26 Feb 2017

Been catching up on 'Taboo' with Tom Hardy, interesting but I'm undecided whether it's good, great, or just OK. :-?
Total numpty doin' his own thing for the craic and relaxation - it's cheaper than a therapist, and more satisfying.
~|~
'Live fat, die young, and leave a self-basting corpse for the burn up...' - TFC
93s

OldGoat

18 Mar 2017

Reminds me of my youth, what an album, what a tour, how "over the top", how intense this band has been, contains some nerdy studio stuff from Tom Morris...

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

18 Mar 2017

TheFatControlleR wrote:Been catching up on 'Taboo' with Tom Hardy, interesting but I'm undecided whether it's good, great, or just OK. :-?
It was the excellent, nay outstanding, supporting cast that made this worth sticking with. Tom Hardy, so often superb, seemed miscast* in a role he basically devised for himself, with his mumbling away, and the voodoo nonsense. English Subtitles for the Perfectly Normal of Hearing were de rigeur with this show. But when he says of his adversary "I've got a use for you!" it is quite funny.

I watched the first three weeks live, then felt it wasn't essential and let the rest build up on Tivo for a binge-watch before the finale.

That said, the finale was fun; it doesn't exactly end on a cliffhanger, but I found I'm interested to see where it goes next (apparently there is a second season confirmed). Overall, an interesting and brave experiment, but it's quite daft and unlike Peaky Blinders, it's a fantasy show and a not to be taken too seriously. I think that's why I struggled with it in the early episodes - it masquerades as something grand. Get past that and it's quite droll.

(*Tom Hardy does seem to have a bit of the Johnny Depp about him - a fantastic actor but sometimes a little too happy to slum it with strange caricatures. He can be great - Legend, Locke, but he's easy to miscast, I felt he was as Max).

TheFatControlleR

18 Mar 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:It was the excellent, nay outstanding, supporting cast that made this worth sticking with. Tom Hardy, so often superb, seemed miscast* in a role he basically devised for himself, with his mumbling away, and the voodoo nonsense. English Subtitles for the Perfectly Normal of Hearing were de rigeur with this show. But when he says of his adversary "I've got a use for you!" it is quite funny.

I watched the first three weeks live, then felt it wasn't essential and let the rest build up on Tivo for a binge-watch before the finale.

That said, the finale was fun; it doesn't exactly end on a cliffhanger, but I found I'm interested to see where it goes next (apparently there is a second season confirmed). Overall, an interesting and brave experiment, but it's quite daft and unlike Peaky Blinders, it's a fantasy show and a not to be taken too seriously. I think that's why I struggled with it in the early episodes - it masquerades as something grand. Get past that and it's quite droll.

(*Tom Hardy does seem to have a bit of the Johnny Depp about him - a fantastic actor but sometimes a little too happy to slum it with strange caricatures. He can be great - Legend, Locke, but he's easy to miscast, I felt he was as Max).
A fair assessment I'd say, I wasn't in awe but didn't regret watching it.

We're on SS GB at the moment (seen the first, accumulating the remainder for a session). Not at all impressed (yet) all seems a bit cliché, and again the sound is quite miserable. [I have a theory about the recent sound shenanigans, they're been shot as if they were for the (home) cinema and not common or garden TV and the sound production doesn't serve both masters well.]
Total numpty doin' his own thing for the craic and relaxation - it's cheaper than a therapist, and more satisfying.
~|~
'Live fat, die young, and leave a self-basting corpse for the burn up...' - TFC
93s

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

18 Mar 2017

TheFatControlleR wrote:
JiggeryPokery wrote:It was the excellent, nay outstanding, supporting cast that made this worth sticking with. Tom Hardy, so often superb, seemed miscast* in a role he basically devised for himself, with his mumbling away, and the voodoo nonsense. English Subtitles for the Perfectly Normal of Hearing were de rigeur with this show. But when he says of his adversary "I've got a use for you!" it is quite funny.

A fair assessment I'd say, I wasn't in awe but didn't regret watching it.

We're on SS GB at the moment (seen the first, accumulating the remainder for a session). Not at all impressed (yet) all seems a bit cliché, and again the sound is quite miserable. [I have a theory about the recent sound shenanigans, they're been shot as if they were for the (home) cinema and not common or garden TV and the sound production doesn't serve both masters well.]

SS-GB is stacking up on Tivo. I think I feel less urge having Prime'd S1 of Man in the High Castle right before Xmas, which was really great until the last two eps, where I intensely disliked some of the "character choice to serve plot rather than character" decisions. I did watch S2E1, but was all over the place. I've not been back since.

4filegate

20 Mar 2017

At the heart of its development strategy is the creation of vibrant universes based on the vision of talented artists and writers and transmedia synergies between TV, film, the web, music and publishing. Futurikon

gak

17 Apr 2017

Saw "suicide squad" and it was a big disappointment.

First off, it's yet another political meandering. The "bad guys" being good guys because the good guys are "bad guys" thing is old and tired.

Second, the "Joker" was underused and almost not important to the script. Sad. Jared Leto is one of the greatest talents ever.

Third, they play the race card a bit too much. That has been now done to death. Plagiarism much?

Fourth, it felt more like the "transformers" series at times. Special effects are cool, but please, let's not go so far over the top that you insult every-single persons intelligence.

And finally the "enchantress" character was a major WTF??????????

I didn't hate it, but it was a big disappointment.

Oquasec

17 Apr 2017

Recommended to me by a few otakuons. heavily shocked.
Youjo Senki.
91 Days.
The girl with all the gifts [horror film]
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

gak

18 Apr 2017

New "Doctor Who"

Was worried about "Bill" but I've already fallen in love.

4filegate

22 Apr 2017

Colin Benders

the full making of here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAVYYn7IZpY

gak

10 Jun 2017

"Doctor Strange"

Not the best movie ever, but entertaining enough.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

11 Jun 2017

American Gods S1 - getting much better after a good looking—and on many levels enjoyable—but otherwise rather confusing opening trio of episodes. Definitely now in my"recommend" category.

Fargo S3 - perhaps not quite as compelling as s2, or even s1, but it's remaining a quality show.

Better Call Saul S3 - now better than Breaking Bad. There. I said it. It's better than Breaking Bad. If Vince and co continue in this vain and stick the landing, this one could go down as the greatest US TV drama of all time.

Twin Peaks S1/S2 and TP:FWIM - finished a rewatch last week prior to the new s3, but jeez, it wasn't as good as I remembered from those religously-watched BBC2 weekly screenings back in 1990. Indeed the back half of s2 is just abysmal (oh god, the James Hurley stuff, ugh) and the film, despite all the "re-evaluation" I keep reading about, remains dreadful*. Not sure I can be arsed with a further 18 hours of it.

______
*although it made marginally more sense than when I saw it at its UK premiere at the Cambridge Film Festival back in 1992, where the print—and this proved pretty fundamental—didn't have subtitles on the club scene.
______

House of Card S5 - dull. It's now taken 65 hours to basically do what Andrew Davies managed in 12; when FU finally becomes president, they don't show anything about it other than a series of dull power meetings, largely skip any action, and then have him resign. Very odd. And while I don't want get into politics here, frankly, real-life US politics has made this show look a bit lightweight and rather covfefe.

Wolf's Rain
- (skipping the notorious "recap quadrilogy" episodes, of course) finished this one last week too: brilliant, engrossing, exciting, desperately sad. Great Yoko Kanno score.

Cowboy Bebop - now working through this one from the late 90s. Actually I watched the 2002 movie first, before I realised there was a TV series, but that didn't prove an impediment to enjoying either. It's a hell of a lot of fun, daft as a bag of spanners, but hella cool. And a fucking great Yoko Kanno score.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - actually did these last year while under the influence of plastercast: only mentioning it now so I can finish this post with a triple whammy of "how-the-fuck-awesome is Yoko Kanno?!" comments.

AttenuationHz

11 Jun 2017

Recently watched Terminator Genisys... Biggest pile of shit I ever watched..........
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Jagwah

11 Jun 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:Better Call Saul S3 - now better than Breaking Bad. There. I said it. It's better than Breaking Bad. If Vince and co continue in this vain and stick the landing, this one could go down as the greatest US TV drama of all time.
I had a feeling it might be building up to something. Found the first few episodes a little too dreary to stick it out, might have to give it another go.

Jagwah

11 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:Recently watched Terminator Genisys... Biggest pile of shit I ever watched..........
You definitely don't want to see Salvation then. I saw Genisys at the cinema and it really had its moments.

AttenuationHz

11 Jun 2017

Jagwah wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:Recently watched Terminator Genisys... Biggest pile of shit I ever watched..........
You definitely don't want to see Salvation then. I saw Genisys at the cinema and it really had its moments.
Seen it. It was the biggest pile of shite before seeing Genisys. But Salvation followed the storyline at least. None of this alternate timeline bullshit. It had some moments alright that a movie should have been made around.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Jagwah

11 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
Jagwah wrote:
Seen it. It was the biggest pile of shite before seeing Genisys. But Salvation followed the storyline at least. None of this alternate timeline bullshit. It had some moments alright that a movie should have been made around.
1, 2 and 3 are and always will be the only real Terminator movies. And even then #3 was only done because people wanted it so much.

AttenuationHz

11 Jun 2017

Jagwah wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:
Jagwah wrote:
1, 2 and 3 are and always will be the only real Terminator movies. And even then #3 was only done because people wanted it so much.
Genisys 2 was pulled from release thank the lord! That's how bad it was.

gak

11 Jun 2017

"Orphan Black" season premiere.

Not bad, but I'm getting awfully tired of the premise. Glad this is the final season.

AttenuationHz

12 Jun 2017

Just finished 12 monkeys season 2. Pretty good...

rudiarii

14 Jun 2017

Mr Robot.....just finished season one. Tried American Gods couldn't get into it .
"dont let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold" Incubus

gak

15 Jun 2017

What did you think of "mr robot" ?? Frankly I couldn't get into the "drug addict, thinks he's not, chain smoking, sleeping for drugs" motif.

Other than that it seemed interesting.

AttenuationHz

15 Jun 2017

Kombucha wrote:Im in the middle of binge-watching the entire Seinfeld collection.

Does anyone else think that the latest series of Better Cal Saul is so goddamn boring ? I enjoyed the first two a lot, but the latest season is dull.
Better Call Saul nah its great getting back story will have to re-watch Breaking Bad when its finished! Just wish there wasn't so long in between seasons or episodes for that matter. Even BB had its ups and downs 4 episodes in it if you think about it were kind of crap but after you got their meaning they are the best episodes.

• Information