The mad drummer

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
craven

18 Apr 2015

Have you seen this already? Pretty funny and crazily skilled drumming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E

From http://www.themaddrummer.com/
On June 1, 2010 a random fan uploaded a performance of Steve Moore on YOUTUBE entitled, “This drummer is at the wrong gig.” The video immediately went viral receiving over 5 million hits in less than a month. Even Mike Portnoy (drummer for Dream Theater, Avenged Sevenfold) tweeted about Steve saying "O MY GOD.....This guy RULES!!"
 Within weeks, Steve was recognized by Modern Drummer, Drummerworld, Ludwig, Sabian, Evans, Pro-Mark, Tosh.0, Yahoo, and was the topic of every drum forum on the web.
 Steve has since appeared at multiple drum festivals, where he has performed with Thomas Lang, Benny Greb, and Keith Carlock, to name just a few. He even headlined The Adams Drummers Festival, and closed the show with "Mike Portnoy" by his side!!!

:ugeek:

JNeffLind

18 Apr 2015

Not to be a stickler, but I'm not too impressed by the actual drumming (meaning the sound produced). The guy is just a hell of a performer and that is incredibly impressive. (I know this is what you're referring to, just a semantic issue I guess.) He's the equivalent of thumping on power chords on the guitar while also throwing karate kicks, jumping around, dropping to one's knees, mugging at the audience, etc. With that said, I'd love to have this guy on stage with me. Thanks for sharing.

craven

18 Apr 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Not to be a stickler, but I'm not too impressed by the actual drumming (meaning the sound produced). The guy is just a hell of a performer and that is incredibly impressive. (I know this is what you're referring to, just a semantic issue I guess.) He's the equivalent of thumping on power chords on the guitar while also throwing karate kicks, jumping around, dropping to one's knees, mugging at the audience, etc. With that said, I'd love to have this guy on stage with me. Thanks for sharing.
true, I was referring to the skilled tricks while performing. The drumming is pretty standard, but he looks very funny while doing it and I can imagine how much talent (practise,... semantics again?) it needs to be that good.

Thanks for your comment! 

BPGeez

18 Apr 2015

Fuck Yeah!!
Reason is my girlfriend. Sometimes she mistreats me, but I still love her.

Checkout my tunes made with Reason: https://soundcloud.com/geez-musicals

Iapetus 9

19 Apr 2015

I see your "drummer at the wrong gig" and raise you- Puppet Rush Drummer.

38L > 51D every time.

craven

19 Apr 2015

Iapetus 9 wrote:I see your "drummer at the wrong gig" and raise you- Puppet Rush Drummer.
everyone should join this challenge - I match your raise with Ginger Baker's drum solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3yDealMJt4

Gaja

19 Apr 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Not to be a stickler, but I'm not too impressed by the actual drumming (meaning the sound produced). The guy is just a hell of a performer and that is incredibly impressive. (I know this is what you're referring to, just a semantic issue I guess.) He's the equivalent of thumping on power chords on the guitar while also throwing karate kicks, jumping around, dropping to one's knees, mugging at the audience, etc. With that said, I'd love to have this guy on stage with me. Thanks for sharing.
The most impressive for me is the disciplin. I've done a bit of drumming and found it really difficult to not play all te stuff I can play all the time, but to actually play what the music is asking for.
I think he does that pretty well. He does all the stunts because he needs to do something more than just that boring boom chack the music is asking for. That is of course a baseless assumption and probably a lot of projecting on my end :)
Cheers!
Fredhoven

normen

19 Apr 2015

Gaja wrote:The most impressive for me is the disciplin. I've done a bit of drumming and found it really difficult to not play all te stuff I can play all the time, but to actually play what the music is asking for. I think he does that pretty well. He does all the stunts because he needs to do something more than just that boring boom chack the music is asking for. That is of course a baseless assumption and probably a lot of projecting on my end :)
Thats exactly why Jimi Hendrix started to do all the antics like playing with his teeth etc. according to himself :)

Gaja

19 Apr 2015

normen wrote:Thats exactly why Jimi Hendrix started to do all the antics like playing with his teeth etc. according to himself :)
Well it does make sense to me :D
Cheers!
Fredhoven

JNeffLind

19 Apr 2015

Gaja wrote:The most impressive for me is the disciplin. I've done a bit of drumming and found it really difficult to not play all te stuff I can play all the time, but to actually play what the music is asking for. I think he does that pretty well. He does all the stunts because he needs to do something more than just that boring boom chack the music is asking for. That is of course a baseless assumption and probably a lot of projecting on my end :)
I understand completely. I'm not trained on a full kit but at a time I took the djembe very seriously (sounds funny I know with so many stoned hippies claiming the same who can't do much) but I was drilling with a metronome, trying to invent techniques, recreate what I saw the best do, etc.

I quickly grew bored when I realized that gigging meant doing a tenth of what I was capable of for 99% of the time. So I get what you're saying. It's a good point. 

jam-s

19 Apr 2015

craven wrote: everyone should join this challenge - I match your raise with Ginger Baker's drum solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3yDealMJt4
I remind you all of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_viuM_sEOOU

Iapetus 9

19 Apr 2015

Iapetus 9 wrote:I see your "drummer at the wrong gig" and raise you- Puppet Rush Drummer.
craven wrote:
everyone should join this challenge - I match your raise with Ginger Baker's drum solo

Hmmm...that's a good call. I'll raise you Brian Viglione killing it.

38L > 51D every time.

• Information