Has Sean Carter just blown $56 million ?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
avasopht
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2015

Last Alternative

30 Mar 2015

They most assuredly tampered with the sound. Sure high quality is always better but they either picked the absolute worst mp3's possible or screwed them up on purpose. mp3 doesn't make instruments disappear and sound THAT dull. I'm not convinced on this TIDAL thing one bit!
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

gak

30 Mar 2015

I'll be honest. I don't hear the difference. So, I don't need to worry about it :D  

Gorilla Texas

30 Mar 2015

Yes

Sinistereo

30 Mar 2015

I'm reminded of thousand dollar audiophile CD pens... or ten thousand dollar audiophile Ethernet cables... or Sony's hundred dollar audiophile "low noise" SD cards.

The common element seems to be that some sucker is buying this crap.

jfrichards

30 Mar 2015

That's a tidal wave of bullshit.

trimph1

30 Mar 2015

A pile of equine plumage there....wow!!! :s0106: :t0305:
....and a whack of hardware synths and who knows what...

Ronin

31 Mar 2015

Guys, dont be too quick to judge this, you might not be able to hear the difference in sound quality until you use Dr Dre Beats headphones to listen to it.

/sarcasm

Ecopro

31 Mar 2015

I've been doing Flac for years from my own collection. What is this offering that's any different?

unlimited streaming to your mobile devices, you say. 

You would need a service like Fios 150/150 for it to be streaming reliably, with no buffering or freezing. Personally I listen to music the old-fashioned way. I don't need a phone, or tablet to login to a dedicated streaming web site in order for me to enjoy some music. 

Sound quality and technicalities aside; this seems like another "for us by us" service provided by "music moguls" and known artists. They pretend to care about the fans, by offering exclusive content to try to cash-in from all those die-hard fans. Only a niche group of people will fall for the masquerade, but that would probably be enough for it to become a success. 

Is this really the future of music? as the presenter in that conference said...or do you smell something fishy in that incoming tidal wave of theirs?
Guts Electronic Mayhem

selig
RE Developer

31 Mar 2015

Sound quality issues aside, I see this as more of a missed opportunity than anything nefarious or ill intentioned. The missed opportunity IMO is for all of these successful and well established artists to use their position to create a platform that clearly benefits up-and-coming artists. 

If the foundation of this new technology helped to promote new artists using the power of the established artists, I'd be totally on board with just about everything else they're doing (as far as I've heard). But as it stands, it appears to be more about the self-promotion of artists that hardly need any.

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Some Desperate Glory

31 Mar 2015

selig wrote:Sound quality issues aside, I see this as more of a missed opportunity than anything nefarious or ill intentioned. The missed opportunity IMO is for all of these successful and well established artists to use their position to create a platform that clearly benefits up-and-coming artists. 

If the foundation of this new technology helped to promote new artists using the power of the established artists, I'd be totally on board with just about everything else they're doing (as far as I've heard). But as it stands, it appears to be more about the self-promotion of artists that hardly need any.

I wouldn't hold my breath, simply because sincerely promoting new audiences would reduce their own chance for additional revenue.  Successful artists reaching out and trying to pull up others has always been the exception, rather than the rule.
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

Julibee

31 Mar 2015

selig wrote:Sound quality issues aside, I see this as more of a missed opportunity than anything nefarious or ill intentioned. The missed opportunity IMO is for all of these successful and well established artists to use their position to create a platform that clearly benefits up-and-coming artists. 

THIS. 

Get outta my head, you.   ;)
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

FATCheese

31 Mar 2015

The movie doesnt even play. So much for quality.
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

virtualpt

31 Mar 2015

Just trialing it. Pretty good selection, even of reasonably obscure artists. Sound quality seems better than any other streaming service that I've heard, but it still seems lacking to me. I usually play through Pure Audio 2 or Audirvana Plus, into my Duet 2 through Equator Audio D5 and playing flacs through Audirvana Plus sounds an awful lot better.

Ocean of Waves

01 Apr 2015

Ocean of Waves

01 Apr 2015

I can't hear the difference between wav 16bit and a 320kbps mp3 anyway. I don't think anyone can, but hey.. 

mayzon

01 Apr 2015

Jay Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  :sleep:

gak

01 Apr 2015

Ronin wrote:Guys, dont be too quick to judge this, you might not be able to hear the difference in sound quality until you use Dr Dre Beats headphones to listen to it.

/sarcasm

alright, I'll dial back the gifs :rofl:  

Trefor

04 Apr 2015

Love it :)

HeartbreakOne

30 Apr 2015

As I eagerly await my REQ131 retrial, I had to bring this topic back to life.  Not that you should care, but the internet is hammer-smacking the bloody hell out of Jay-Z and every single artist that was on the stage during the "Tidal Declaration" Ceremony.  From Twitter to Facebook to Instagram to YouTube, people are showing this group no mercy over that whole paid Hi-Fi streaming debacle. 

I don't know what's worse, the fact that Jay-Z has officially dug a 56 million dollar Tidal logo-shaped hole and kicked every top tier act, including himself, inside OR the fact that everyone, kids included are just handing this guy his ass in every way.  It's almost like they feel they can actually beat this guy up and take his wallet from him, slap his wife in front of him and drive away in his car now!  And it's all because of the arrogance and audacity of the Tidal roll-out ceremony.  I agree that Tidal sucks, but everyone involved in that "pageant" will forever be associated with such a terrible execution of a project that was doomed to fail from its conception. 

I just hope the laypersons who are just there to keep it running aren't thrown out in the cold.  But as for Jay, Madonna, Kanye, Beyonce, Nicki, Daft Punk, Deadmause, Rhianna and everyone else who stood on that stage like kindergarteners taking a class picture, I don't see any way this can be good for future endeavors.  For any of them.  I don't think Alicia Keys could get a gig selling Pop Tarts at this point.  First the Blackberry "creative consultant" fail, and now this!  Poor baby, just stick to making music.  I wish I could help, but one smart guy here describes it best... it's "like administering medicine to the dead".  Too bad.

I must admit, it has been one of the most entertaining failures I've seen in a while.  They tried to insult the intelligence of the fans, and the fans used that intelligence to prove that they are no longer influenced by glitz and glamor.  "The tides, they are a changin'!"
TO LET THE WORLD BE

• Information