Netflix

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Ecopro

26 Mar 2015

I pulled the plug with cable. Optimum was charging me almost $200 a month...so that I can watch a few shows and News...not worth it. Got me an HD TV antenna that gives the basic local channels, a Roku 3 box with channels like Sling TV, Plex, Netflix, Amazon, Plus many others. Some are subscription based, like Netflix, some are good some are crap. I recently subscribed to Sling TV just to get the AMC network to watch The Walking Dead. Once that is done I'm cancelling, and then getting HBONow, which starts this April. All you need is internet and a browser in any laptop or PC for $14.95/M. you can use it with any apple device as well. I'm getting it just to watch Game of Thrones and Silicon Valley, which both air this April. So all in all, Netflix is the one service I use the most...so worth its price.
Guts Electronic Mayhem

Namahs Amrak

26 Mar 2015

The impression I get from reading interviews with Netflix' CEO is that they don't seem overly concerned with region hopping to use their service, but are quite proud that their service reduces piracy (marked reductions have been noted in Canada since launching there, and there are allegedly more piracy instances in Australia per capita than anywhere else). Incidentally, Australians have been using Netflix for ages with VPN..... but I don't know the first thing about setting it up. Any tips?

Since Vice started being broadcast on HBO I can no longer watch a lot of their documentaries, which is disappointing. A VPN service will probably unlock that for me as well.
My Words are my ART

Jamesville

26 Mar 2015

I use vyper vpn which allows a app to be installed on the machine you wish to use. Although your talking windows machines, apple & android. Otherwise you would have to have a router you can change your ip's.

pushedbutton

27 Mar 2015

Hola works for me. I think it's free on windows but they charge for the smartphone app. The only think it won't let you do is get a HD stream but the SD stream is usually reliable.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Concep

27 Mar 2015

Netflix is well worth the money.  I would be okay cancelling my regular cable TV package if my wife didn't insist on it. 

Last Alternative

27 Mar 2015

Other than a somewhat limited selection, Netflix is awesome. I pay $9/month here in the US as well. I also don't like that they have a lot of 'part 2s or 3s' of movies but not the first one! Or vice-versa. And they don't really ever have new movies but I'm still really happy with what they do have and there are a lot of amazing documentaries.
Enjoy.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

ScuzzyEye

28 Mar 2015

Last Alternative wrote:I also don't like that they have a lot of 'part 2s or 3s' of movies but not the first one!
Or, 1 and 3, but not 2. I've seen "L'auberge espagnole", and they have "Casse-tête chinois", but I want to watch "Les poupées russes" before I see that.

Last Alternative

28 Mar 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:Or, 1 and 3, but not 2. I've seen "L'auberge espagnole", and they have "Casse-tête chinois", but I want to watch "Les poupées russes" before I see that.
LOL! Totally totally a boring letdown and it happens all the time. I've even talked to them about it and they act all surprised as if they didn't know and then babble that they're still getting licenses when really some idiot just dropped the ball. I mean come on. How can they tease us like that?! Here I am thinking I'm gonna have a Freddy Kruegerathon or Batmanathon all night but nope. DENIED!
It's like buying a Lego set with missing pieces. WTF?! LOL
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

tibah

29 Mar 2015

I enjoy Netflix very much. You can also get the monthly subscription cards right here in the supermarket. The only downside so far - I'm huge into House of Cards. Season 3 just got released last month in one go, all episodes. It's an original Netflix series. But here in Germany, the licenses are all with Sky for that particular series. Kinda weird in some way. I guess they will appear in about 6 months (maybe) on Netflix as well. But yea, the whole licensing, essentially forcing people to have like 2 or 3 services to watch what they want to watch, seems like a lot of unnecessary bullshit to me. That's essentially why people tend to visit *those other sites* and just watch stuff anyway. Gotta love capitalism! ;)

Llama Chops

29 Mar 2015

Netflix is about to launch in NZ as well but as was pointed out on the local news item about them, they advertise that there are screeds of movies available to choose from.... but to U.S customers only! The local choice will be much reduced initially (until their subscriber numbers increase I guess) and pick up as they go. They have competition here from Lightbox (who have the rights to "better call Saul") but have the bonus of not charging GST as they are an offshore provider. I will look at both options at some time as Sky is just terrible and full of ads! May as well watch poor mans tele :t1465:

Last Alternative

30 Mar 2015

I was really pissed when they had all the seasons of South Park. I was in the middle of season 4 when they trashed it. Still, I discovered a lot of great movies and a new favorite show called Revenge!

chimp_spanner

31 Mar 2015

Yeah as others have said, it might be worth looking into expanding your selection to include the full US lineup. I went to the states a couple of years back on tour and logged into my Netflix account there and was stunned to find that the selection was quite literally 10x larger (maybe more), including all the Star Trek stuff too. Was actually kind of p****d off because I'm paying the same money as US users. I feel entitled to the same content. So now I use a browser plugin called Mediahint, although there are plenty of other alternatives. Mediahint is nice though because you can turn it on/off directly from the top of Chrome (some content will be exclusive to Aus, as it is to UK) and it doesn't mess with your general internet settings.

Now with that said, I'm gonna chuck on some TNG!

• Information