Netflix

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Namahs Amrak

25 Mar 2015

Netflix was launched in my country yesterday, and is being offered for what seems like a fairly reasonable $9/mo.

Unfortunately, as is the trend these days, the website tells me very little about it. Is Netflix more like a pay-TV service or can I search for the movies I want to watch, at a time of my choosing ? And how is the content of movies, and the quantity ? I don't go for big Hollywood movies, but enjoy arthouse, alternative etc, and also documentaries. Also, I very rarely watch (download) any TV shows, and i know Netflix is known for their own highly regarded productions, but that doesn't interest me.
My Words are my ART

Julibee

25 Mar 2015

Netflix is a streaming, choose-what-you-want-from-our-big-list-of-movies type of thing.  It even allows you to rate things you've seen in the past, and then will make recommendations based on those ratings and whatever else you watch on Netflix. It's really good for indie/small budget stuff, and there are loads of documentaries...  At least in the US.  I understand that there are different movies/shows available in different parts of the world, though, so I can't say for certain what you'd see where you are.

I love Netflix.  I have Amazon Prime, too, but I seem to watch Netflix more.
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

gak

25 Mar 2015

For me, it was worth getting netflix for being able to watch all those star trek series from the beginning again. It also has a bunch of really good music docs like "muscle shoals" and "beware of mr baker" 

But I don't know if it would yield much in the way of what you are asking. For 8 bucks a month, it's worth it for me to have it though.

Namahs Amrak

25 Mar 2015

Julibee wrote:It's really good for indie/small budget stuff, and there are loads of documentaries...
Perfect !

It's a fairly well-timed announcement for Australia, because the Federal Government are once again threatening to enact a law mandating that ISP's block users from accessing torrent sites. Perhaps coincidental, that Netflix is here :roll:   . At 50 cents a day for the premium service, and no lock in contracts, this is a very good step towards reducing copyright infringement.
My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

25 Mar 2015

gak wrote:For me, it was worth getting netflix for being able to watch all those star trek series from the beginning again. It also has a bunch of really good music docs like "muscle shoals" and "beware of mr baker"
No Star Trek for me, but I have been looking for the Ginger Baker doc for ages ! Good to know.
My Words are my ART

Julibee

25 Mar 2015

Just out of curiosity, I googled and found this... http://netflixlife.com/2015/03/23/whats ... ist-rumor/

It's a list of all the SHOWS.. but not the movies.  Still.
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

gak

26 Mar 2015

One other thing I wanted to mention about streaming services.....they have to pay license fees (don't know the technical jargon) to have this stuff. They sometimes have to pull stuff due to it not being cost effective. It's not the conspiracy some people make it out to be  :s0225: but it's possible that a show will be there at one time and then all of the sudden "poof"

Amazon has a different contract but you don't just get everything at one standard price (even with membership you have to pay for certain shows.....that can add up quickly)

ScuzzyEye

26 Mar 2015

There are a few different ways streaming services work.

There's Netflix that's flat rate all you can watch.
There's Vudu/Google Movies & TV/Sony Video Unlimited, that's strictly pay per view.
Amazon offers both, their flat rate Prime Video, but there's also Amazon Video, that's pay per view.
There are also ad supported services like Crackle that are otherwise free.
Or flat rate plus ads, like Hulu.

But yeah, they all have different contracts with content providers so they have different content.

Namahs Amrak

26 Mar 2015

Julibee wrote:Just out of curiosity, I googled and found this... http://netflixlife.com/2015/03/23/whats ... ist-rumor/

It's a list of all the SHOWS.. but not the movies.  Still.
Cheers Julibee, for your post. However I can count the number of shows I have watched in the last decade on one hand, as I'm not a big fan of much in the way of series. The exceptions have been Carnivale (a very strange HBO series), Californication, Weeds, Breaking Bad & Shameless (US version).

Anyway, I just registered, and while I'm not so happy that I needed to change my privacy settings, it's all working. Am going to see if I enjoy 'Orange is the New Black', and I also hope to find 12 Monkeys there in the future.
My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

26 Mar 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:There are a few different ways streaming services work.

There's Netflix that's flat rate all you can watch.
There's Vudu/Google Movies & TV/Sony Video Unlimited, that's strictly pay per view.
Amazon offers both, their flat rate Prime Video, but there's also Amazon Video, that's pay per view.
There are also ad supported services like Crackle that are otherwise free.
Or flat rate plus ads, like Hulu.

But yeah, they all have different contracts with content providers so they have different content.
For $9/mo and no contract, it's hardly worth me considering pay-per-view options.
My Words are my ART

ScuzzyEye

26 Mar 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:For $9/mo and no contract, it's hardly worth me considering pay-per-view options.
The PPV services generally have new releases. If you're patient Netflix usually does end up getting just about everything.

popp

26 Mar 2015

I use both Netflix and Amazon Prime, too... what I like more about Netflix ist that you can choose to watch everything in original language and also turn on subtitles (also with the option to choose from OL and German in my case). Oh, and the Netflix Original Series are pretty good. I'm watching Better call Saul atm. Great stuff.
Super Dabbler

Namahs Amrak

26 Mar 2015

Better Call Saul is not on Australian Netflix :frown:
My Words are my ART

popp

26 Mar 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Better Call Saul is not on Australian Netflix :frown:
Bummer, but they are adding stuff quite often, I'm pretty sure you don't have to wait long for it...
Super Dabbler

ScuzzyEye

26 Mar 2015

The first season of Better Call Saul hasn't even finished airing yet. Netflix generally gets a season of a TV show around the time the next season is starting to air.

Namahs Amrak

26 Mar 2015

Im a bit surprised how few movies there are. Of course its only launched yesterday so maybe it will grow, or at least cycle through different films.

The Ginger Baker doco isnt on my local netflix either. Might be time to set up a VPN to access US servers.
My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

26 Mar 2015

Hows this... there are 10 music docos, and two of them are about One Direction. WTF?
My Words are my ART

popp

26 Mar 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Hows this... there are 10 music docos, and two of them are about One Direction. WTF?
supply demand balance I guess  :frown:

*sigh*
Super Dabbler

JNeffLind

26 Mar 2015

Netflix is amazing. Huge range of stuff. They even have cult movies of the "so bad it's good" variety. Really something for everyone.

JNeffLind

26 Mar 2015

Not realeased on American yet either. I think it's only in UK or maybe in Europe. I saw adds for it while watching a stream of a UFC event that was coming from a host tuned into BT Sport and I got excited when I saw the ad. Hopefully it's out everywhere soon. 

Namahs Amrak

26 Mar 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Hows this... there are 10 music docos, and two of them are about One Direction. WTF?
popp wrote:
supply demand balance I guess  :frown:

*sigh*
You might be right... one of the two major supermarket chains actually sponsor One Direction. TV ads, free tickets etc. Kind of strange, but they do have a following here.

I cannot see Ginger Baker being the pinup boy for a corporation.

A bit more on region-specific limitations: Netflix CEO Reed Hastings, who is in Australia this week for the official launch, had this to say

There are also some limitations with existing TV deals, like Friends for example, whose rights are snapped up locally already by Foxtel. However, once those deals expire, Sarandos was adamant that if the show fits, they will fight for its rights.

My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

26 Mar 2015

I have to say, it's a really great implementation. I have stopped a movie a few times that I started watching (Dallas Buyers Club) and when I get back to it, even though it timed, out, it remembers where I left off. Also, with a TV series, it takes me right to the next episode based on what I have previously watched. The picture quality is nice, the buffering is good (I have not so great ADSL2+ speeds) so overall I think I will keep the subscription going after my 1 month trial ends.
My Words are my ART

popp

26 Mar 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:I have to say, it's a really great implementation. I have stopped a movie a few times that I started watching (Dallas Buyers Club) and when I get back to it, even though it timed, out, it remembers where I left off. Also, with a TV series, it takes me right to the next episode based on what I have previously watched. The picture quality is nice, the buffering is good (I have not so great ADSL2+ speeds) so overall I think I will keep the subscription going after my 1 month trial ends.

It's really well done. The best at the moment I think. Let's see what apple comes up with when they launch their TV 2015 update. Competition isn't bad...
Super Dabbler

Jamesville

26 Mar 2015

If you use a vpn you can use your details to log in anywhere eg. america and get that version of netflix.

pushedbutton

26 Mar 2015

I've hardly watched live tv since I got netflix here in the UK. While the selection is good it's a lot better if you use a VPN to region hop. Just watched Episode 8 of Better Call Saul, it's worth a watch from the UK servers but if I want a larger selection of movies I can switch the the US server or sometimes Denmark, although the subtitles can get annoying.
I'll be interested to see what Netflix Oz has in store, I just finished watching Danger 5 season 2, which was nice.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

• Information