Please please please

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
forensickbeats

05 Mar 2015

Never heard about a "Pandora" service before. What is this exactly? 

Noplan
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2015

It's an all-wise oracle that reveals if you are utter shit or not.

Julibee

05 Mar 2015

forensickbeats wrote:Never heard about a "Pandora" service before. What is this exactly? 
Pandora is a streaming radio service that has an integrated set of musical algorithms for each song. Every song they play has been categorized (by humans), and tagged in their "Music Genome Project" with very specific key elements... Things like, "this song uses a minor key, beat-driven melodies, Lo-fi nuances, upfront female vocals, orchestral strings and melancholy lyrics" (that was made up-- the real elements are much more descriptive)... And if you "thumbs up" that song, it will fetch more music with similar elements. You can also start "radio" based on a single song or artist. Everything it plays on that station you've created will be in a similar vein. It's pretty useful. If it gets TOO specific (which Does seem to happen when you continually thumb up a given type of song), you can always "add variety" and choose another song or artist to add to the mix.

I listen to Pandora a LOT, actually. Or... I did.

Yesterday I started using Shuffler.fm. They have music blog bots that find stuff you wouldn't hear in a million years. That's really cool, too.
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

Julibee

05 Mar 2015

Noplan wrote:

It's an all-wise oracle that reveals if you are utter shit or not.
I deserved that.

LOL! :D

jappe

05 Mar 2015

Sorry to hear about that.
Where can I find your music?

jappe

05 Mar 2015

forensickbeats wrote:Never heard about a "Pandora" service before. What is this exactly? 
Julibee wrote: Pandora is a streaming radio service that has an integrated set of musical algorithms for each song. Every song they play has been categorized (by humans), and tagged in their "Music Genome Project" with very specific key elements... Things like, "this song uses a minor key, beat-driven melodies, Lo-fi nuances, upfront female vocals, orchestral strings and melancholy lyrics" (that was made up-- the real elements are much more descriptive)... And if you "thumbs up" that song, it will fetch more music with similar elements. You can also start "radio" based on a single song or artist. Everything it plays on that station you've created will be in a similar vein. It's pretty useful. If it gets TOO specific (which Does seem to happen when you continually thumb up a given type of song), you can always "add variety" and choose another song or artist to add to the mix. I listen to Pandora a LOT, actually. Or... I did. Yesterday I started using Shuffler.fm. They have music blog bots that find stuff you wouldn't hear in a million years. That's really cool, too.
Perhaps try Spotify!
It's really big in this side of the world.
https://support.spotify.com/is/problems ... on-Spotify

http://members.cdbaby.com/get-on-spotify.aspx

Julibee

05 Mar 2015

jappe, I am on Spotify! At least I am in the US... I'd give you a link, but my friend in Sweden and I try trading Spotify links and they don't always work from one country to another. Probably easiest to search by name... Julianna McDuffie. album Title: The King and Queen of Nowhere

Cheers!

forensickbeats

06 Mar 2015

Pandora is a streaming radio service that has an integrated set of musical algorithms (...)

They`ve got their algorithms wrong.

"Music Genome Project" 

Some ambitious wording there. They can claim whatever they want about their thingy - if it is a cult, closed system (like discover) - they suck. Final verdict.

There are plenty of normal websites where you can share your music, don`t waste your time with such cult sites.

jappe

06 Mar 2015

Julibee wrote:jappe, I am on Spotify! At least I am in the US... I'd give you a link, but my friend in Sweden and I try trading Spotify links and they don't always work from one country to another. Probably easiest to search by name... Julianna McDuffie. album Title: The King and Queen of Nowhere Cheers!
I hear Kate Bush when I listen to your music. Original, and you have a beautiful voice!

JNeffLind

09 Mar 2015

This sucks. The only sense I can make of this is that it's an ageism issue and moms are not considered marketable, but I wouldn't think that would matter on streaming radio. I've heard your stuff and it's great. It'd fit great on a Tori Amos station or any female with a sort of electro fusion sound.

Last Alternative

10 Mar 2015

Really.. why does age and family status matter? If it's good music it's good music. But we live in a very superficial shallow world.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Julibee

10 Mar 2015

Ah, you guys are so nice.... But I doubt Pandora could have deduced my age and motherhood status from my mp3 submission.  They may have done some digging, but I seriously doubt it. :)

Julibee

10 Mar 2015

Meh, screw 'em.

I have a new plan. Getting my ducks in a row before I start talking about it, here... Will be doing so, though, so keep an eye out. It involves all y'all if you want. Maybe.

That's enough for now. ;)

pushedbutton

11 Mar 2015

Pandora uses an algorithm to automate the process, so I guess it's not personal.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/inter ... andora.htm
As to what you can do about it, do a cover version of these songs...

1. Journey – “Don’t Stop Believing”
2. Drake – “The Motto”
3. Imagine Dragons – ‘Radioactive”
4. Mario – “Let Me Love You”
5. Goo Goo Dolls – “Iris”
6. Maroon 5 – “She Will Be Loved”
7. OneRepublic – “Counting Stars”
8. Gotye – “Somebody That I Used To Love (ft. Kimbra)”
9. Adele – “Someone Like You”
10. The Fray – “How To Save A Life”

Cos that's what they think is the most popular music ever....cos they be smarts. lol
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Nymphomation

13 Mar 2015

Julibee wrote:someone tell me I'm not utter shit.  After 17 weeks of waiting, Pandora has just denied me. I'm shocked at how upset I am. Fuck.
I don't think you need validation from little ol me, but trust me anyway, your stuff is great.

I can relate to this, because I sell my music as production music. I have about 40 tracks on one site, and they sell OK. Considering it's a hobby and not my main income, it's all good.

I decided to try and step it up, and send some tracks to a much bigger library (a friend was making a killing with these guys) and my tracks were hard rejected. A hard reject means you get a blanket email, like the one you got, and no chance of resubmission.

I was pretty down about it, as I was trying to 'step it up' and thinking about doing this full time eventually... but I read a lot of posts on their forums. There were tons of very talented (major label producers, BBC sound engineers etc) having their tracks rejected too. It wasn't just me.

Fek knows why my & your stuff was rejected (maybe mine was just crap?!), but take solace in the fact that there are many other super talented people also being rejected!

• Information